Firefox 3 process still running after program closure

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox 3 process still running after program closure

Post by dfoulkes »

The problem of FF3 still running after shutdown and then having to use Task Mgr. to really shut it down has been discussed under other headings within this "bug" board and in other sections. In addition I believe that some discussions dealing with missing bookmarks and FF3 "not starting at the users home page" plus some other mysteries/questions and complaints discussed by users throughout FF3 related board categories are caused by FF3 not shutting down when the user thinks that it's shutdown... I know because I've had loads of mysterious things happen when my FF3 does not shutdown and I've start another one. That is why I always start up Task Mgr. when I start FF3..so that I can kill the process when I'm finished with it. From what I've read on these boards the Mozilla group feels that this is a very low priority bug. If that is what they feel then I think that they need to read all of these complaints logged by their users and re-think their position on this issue. Ford and GM buried their heads for so long that it allowed Honda and Toyota to steal their market... because Ford/GM had some of that same attitude.

After all that....Firefox 3 is a great computer tool and all the people associated with it's creation should be proud of the work they've performed.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Twinkletoes

Post by Twinkletoes »

dfoulkes wrote:...From what I've read on these boards the Mozilla group feels that this is a very low priority bug. If that is what they feel then I think that they need to read all of these complaints logged by their users and re-think their position on this issue...

Agreed! Emphatically!!!
trolly

Post by trolly »

I have read about a bug "Need life sign during shutdown". It is probably simpler to have still something that says "Firefox is shutting down. Please wait." and to speed up the whole database by the factor 100 or more.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
MatthewSchenker

Post by MatthewSchenker »

Good Afternoon,
Well, I'm very disappointed. I've been a long-time user of Mozilla browsers, and have always liked them. But if they can't fix this problem I will have to finally start using something else.

I could just check the Tak Manager every time I want to run Firefox and kill the old process whenever necessary. However, my wife also uses the same computer and she knows nothing about software and the Task Manager and all that. She just wants to click on the desktop icon and start the program.

It may seem like a small problem to the Mozilla programmers, but for people who are not computer experts this "still running after program closure" is a big issue.

Quickly losing confidence,
Matthew
MatthewSchenker

Good Morning,
I hate to be a pest here, but is it really true that my only option to fix this problem is to uninstall Firefox 3.0 and re-install 2.0?
I've always loved Mozilla, and I'm kind of having a hard time believing this is true.
Thanks,
Matt
ibauer

Post by ibauer »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is a chance for any of the Mozilla representatives or FF developers to visit this forum?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Basically no. A few read here but feedback is always IRC or bugzilla.
I guess even on the mozilla support forums you will not find many devs.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
dbridges

Post by dbridges »

Matthew_Schenker wrote:Good Morning,
I hate to be a pest here, but is it really true that my only option to fix this problem is to uninstall Firefox 3.0 and re-install 2.0?
I've always loved Mozilla, and I'm kind of having a hard time believing this is true.
Thanks,
Matt

The bug is acknowledged by Firefox but in is not being worked on nor have they given it a high priority which means it will only get fixed if someone decides to take it on themselves.

The way the firefox settings etc is managed was changed dramatically in firefox 3. It's gone from featherweight to heavyweight. That is what causes this issue. In firefox 2 a similar issue can be experienced for users who open an extraordinary number of tabs or have a astronomical number of bookmarks. These users are heavyweight users. Fair enough that's how they use it.

For the average everyday featherweight user firefox 2 is now more suitable.
MatthewSchenker

Good Morning,
I have to say, something seems really off to me here. For so many years, I have always seen Firefox material as rock solid and dependable. It seems something went wrong with 3.0. But I don't want to give up on this software. I just want to solve this "process still running" issue because I like everything else about 3.0.

Is my only option really to just downgrade to 2.0?

Thanks,
Matt
trolly

Post by trolly »

Is phishing protection active? If yes disable it.
The main difference between FF2 and FF3 is the changed database.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I am told that there is another thread for the same problem. I'm locking this one because the other one is older.
Please continue here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=695335