Pop-up-blocking oversensitive? example: www.netzeitung.de

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
sgipan

Pop-up-blocking oversensitive? example: www.netzeitung.de

Post by sgipan »

It blocks *every* pop-up, even requested Windows/JavaScript-Windows.

For example, go to http://www.netzeitung.de/servlets/page?section=5555 (Netzeitung.de must be the biggest Online-Newspaper in Germany) and klick on any of the photos you see.
A JavaScript Window should open but it doesn't. Added netzeitung.de to the whitelist (which shouldn't be necessary since it's a requested window) but still no go. When I disable "Reject pop-up windows" it works. It has also happened on other sites; it is not a special problem of this website.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a solution? Just want to make sure before submitting a bug....

I am using Phoenix 20021112 w/Tabext. on Windoze
greets,
- sgipan
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Site works perfectly for me (build 1114, WinXP, TBE), with pop-up blocking intact, and I didn't have to whitelist it. New profile time?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

WFM, 20021112. Because of the way popup blocking works it may be necessary on some pages to let them load completely, but not in this case: the popups can even be opened before the images are loaded.
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

thenightfly42 wrote:Site works perfectly for me (build 1114, WinXP, TBE), with pop-up blocking intact, and I didn't have to whitelist it. New profile time?

Uh, this question hurts a bit, but: how do I create a profile? Sorry, I suppose it's one of the stupidest questions ever asked in this forum; but I never found a clear answer.
thx,
- sgipan
djst

Post by djst »

sgipan wrote:
thenightfly42 wrote:Site works perfectly for me (build 1114, WinXP, TBE), with pop-up blocking intact, and I didn't have to whitelist it. New profile time?

Uh, this question hurts a bit, but: how do I create a profile? Sorry, I suppose it's one of the stupidest questions ever asked in this forum; but I never found a clear answer.
thx,
- sgipan

It's a common question. By reading this page: http://texturizer.net/phoenix/bugs.html (section "1. Use the latest version of Phoenix with a new profile"), you should get the hang of it.
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

Thx for the help but still no go :(

Did a clean install of build 20021114, created a profile, lost all my settings, all my passwords *sigh*. Is there ANYbody with the same problem or is it just me? The fact that it now was a clean install on a common w2k sp3 speaks against that. Ah, w2k is in spanish but I guess.....

Any other ideas for help?

thx
- sgipan
Autark

Post by Autark »

sgipan wrote:... Is there ANYbody with the same problem or is it just me?

I have the same problem, using " Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021111 Phoenix/0.4". I created a new profile and went directly to your example page, and nothing happens when I click the image links.

There is a similar problem on http://www.stockholm.se/: the link "Anpassa webbplatsen" in the upper right corner is dead with popup blocking enabled. Whitelisting the site enables the annoying entry popup, but it doesn't enable the requested one.
RAF

Post by RAF »

sgipan wrote:The fact that it now was a clean install on a common w2k sp3 speaks against that. Ah, w2k is in spanish but I guess.....

WFM on 0.4 milestone, 11-11 nightly and the 14-11 nightly on W2k SP3 US
A collegue of mine tried it for you on a spanisch W2k with the 11-11 nightly and he doesn't have a problem.

RAF
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

Autark wrote:
sgipan wrote:... Is there ANYbody with the same problem or is it just me?

I have the same problem, using " Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021111 Phoenix/0.4". I created a new profile and went directly to your example page, and nothing happens when I click the image links.

There is a similar problem on http://www.stockholm.se/: the link "Anpassa webbplatsen" in the upper right corner is dead with popup blocking enabled. Whitelisting the site enables the annoying entry popup, but it doesn't enable the requested one.

Do you have Tabextensions installed?
- sgipan
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

RAF wrote:
sgipan wrote:The fact that it now was a clean install on a common w2k sp3 speaks against that. Ah, w2k is in spanish but I guess.....

A collegue of mine tried it for you on a spanisch W2k with the 11-11 nightly and he doesn't have a problem.

RAF

Thanx for trying. What means "WFM"? And does he have the Tabextensions installed?
- sgipan
Autark

Post by Autark »

sgipan wrote:Do you have Tabextensions installed?
- sgipan

Yes, I have. That might be the reason.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Autark wrote:There is a similar problem on http://www.stockholm.se/: the link "Anpassa webbplatsen" in the upper right corner is dead with popup blocking enabled. Whitelisting the site enables the annoying entry popup, but it doesn't enable the requested one.

This also works for me (=WFM) without whitelisting the site (20021114, TBE installed). The only problems I had with wanted popups were caused by MS-only JS (errors show up in the JavaScript Console).
nkurz

Post by nkurz »

I've been having similar problems on other pages, and found that disabling "Tabbrowser Extensions" and restarting solved my problems. I just tried the pages suggested, and they work for me. I feel pretty certain that the problem is a conflict with "Tabbrowser Extensions". Could you disable them and confirm this?
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

nkurz wrote:

I've been having similar problems on other pages, and found that disabling "Tabbrowser Extensions" and restarting solved my problems. I just tried the pages suggested, and they work for me. I feel pretty certain that the problem is a conflict with "Tabbrowser Extensions". Could you disable them and confirm this?

Yeah, this works for me, too. However, it's a workaround, since I had to put netzeitung.de on the whitelist. And since it's a requested page, that shouldn't be necessary. I'll check whether on a clean install w/out TBE it works correctly (w/out adding it to the whitelist).

If yes, I'll file the Bugreport for TBE; if not, I'll file the bugreport for Phoenix. However, it'll be difficult to track down since it seems that it only happens for very few people.

Thanks,
Stephan
RAF

Post by RAF »

sgipan wrote:
RAF wrote:

RAF

Thanx for trying. What means "WFM"? And does he have the Tabextensions installed?
- sgipan

Yes I have the tab extensions installed (so has my collegue). Laszlo knows what it means :wink:
RAF