[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
FaeGiN

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Post by FaeGiN »

Hey Terry!! Hehe I remember when I was feeling exactly the same about installing an addon as big as this. I mean, being a bit worried about messing my firefox up as I did not know what to do with all of the options!
Well, you may be surprised to learn that, contrary to the scary first impressions, it is very simple and easy to set up this addon.
If you are still stuck then you can drop me an email if you like just use geafaegin AT gmail DOT com and subject line of Tab Kit Help! and I will help you that way, if you like.
Other than that, all I would suggest is that you try out some settings and see how you like it. test a few things out, change them, try them, nothing will actually 'break' or mess up your firefox.
:)

Oh yeah - I looked at your image there.
The reason it is telling you that those tabs are grouped already when you tried to group them, is that they really ARE grouped already. the groups are the colours!
So all of those sets of different colours in your image are actually separate 'groups' marked out by colour./ so you can now see that the ones from the same domain ARE in fact grouped by domain!
I think you were expecting the grouped tabs to be indented like a tree style right?
Well you can do that in the settings easily enough.
The question is, do you want the tabs down the side, indented? Opened by domain?
If so then you can get exactly that via the following:
Go to your 'Addons' option and then scroll down to Tab Kit.
now click Options and get to work!
Under the first TAB named 'TAB BAR' , for the first setting that says -
'The Tab Bar should be shown' you would want to select from the dropdown box next to it, 'ALONG THE LEFT EDGE'
After you choose that then the bottom options become usable.
Now set those options to the following:
Indent Child Tabs (show tabs as a tree)
The settings below that are really personal preference but as a guide you can set them at
MAXIMUM TREE LEVEL 10 - 20
INDENT EACH TREE LEVEL 15 - 25 Pixels

Now, this gives you what you appeared to be asking about but, it is far from a guide to ALL of the settings!!!
Try it though and reply with your opinion. Like I said I will go through all of them with you via email if you like!
Hope that's helped.

(I am now thinking of just creating a full guide/tutorial for beginners...!)
johnmatt

Post by johnmatt »

I have been running Tab Kit & Firefox 3.6 since it's release.

1: Install Nightly Tester Tools & reboot.

2: Install Tab Kit & when you get the Incompatible message, click > Force Install.

Nightly Tester Tools
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Tab Kit 0.5.6 been working great with trunk (3.7a) nightlies until some time between 20100306 and 2010331 - in newer build the vertical tabs along left edge don't happen, tabs are only at top. No errors in the error console. (Yes, 0.5.6 - iirc I've had troubles with newer versions on trunk) Anyone using tab kit of any version with *today's* trunk build with respect to vertical tabs?
Gobo80

Post by Gobo80 »

So I guess the author abandoned this project and left it for dead? Nightly Tester Tools tactic might work for now, but down the road something is going to break.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Gobo80 wrote:So I guess the author abandoned this project and left it for dead?

Not abandoned if one is to believe http://tabkit.uservoice.com/forums/9546 ... ?ref=title ...

However, a 10 month absence from mz and http://code.google.com/p/tabkit/issues, no tab kit release several months after Firefox 3.6 shipped, and no updates in uservoice doesn't inspire much confidence, despite plenty of user activity at http://tabkit.uservoice.com/

Note: tab kit is offered with Source Code License GNU General Public License, version 2.0, so *anyone* can update the code. Unfortunately Jomel never uploaded it to hg http://code.google.com/p/tabkit/issues/detail?id=1 so you have to work with the source provided in the .xpi package. Which, BTW, has many comments.
ivorh

Post by ivorh »

While the tabkit google-code project is stuck, I've created a new one to track patches:
http://code.google.com/p/tab-kit
It can always be merged back in if the original author resurfaces.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

ivorh wrote:While the tabkit google-code project is stuck, I've created a new one to track patches:
http://code.google.com/p/tab-kit
It can always be merged back in if the original author resurfaces.

Thanks!
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

FaeGiN,

My apologies for not thanking you at the time for your helpful detailed reply to my queries. Somehow I missed it and have only now re-discovered the thread.

Back in February I took the easier option of staying with TabGroups Manager. But I am now taking a fresh look at Tab Kit, so your post remains valuable.

BTW, did you get around to that tutorial you mentioned?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Current Sort setting?

Just installed Tab Kit again after very brief test 6 months ago (when unfamiliarity prompted me to stay with TabGroups Manager).

If I use R-click > Tab Kit > Global Actions, none of the Sort options are checkmarked. How therefore can I tell which one is in effect please?

--
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre
shtraue

Post by shtraue »

Does anybody know if there is a way to disable the search tab that has appeared in Tab Kit 0.6?

Thanks!
IByte

Post by IByte »

shtraue wrote:Does anybody know if there is a way to disable the search tab that has appeared in Tab Kit 0.6?

Thanks!

No, but you're hardly the only one who dislikes this new feature: take a look at the issue tracker.

Personally, from a software design point of view, I think it's a bad idea to include a feature in an upgrade that gets so prominently into users' faces without providing any means for turning it off completely. Other than that, I like Tab Kit.
Creator of the IsAdmin and Infocon Watcher add-ons.
jwalzer50

Post by jwalzer50 »

I'm not sure what the fuss is about since I can't find a 'tab search' in Tab Kit .6; I just see the tabs. I disabled 'Vertical tabs' (see below) to make sure that wasn't why & it didn't matter. Perhaps this is because I'm running Firefox 4B6.

FYI, if you like vertical tabs, which I really do, Tab Kit's don't seem to work w/Fx 4 so I run "Vertical Tabs' & it doesn't seem to conflict with Tab Kit.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

jwalzer50 wrote:I'm not sure what the fuss is about since I can't find a 'tab search' in Tab Kit .6; I just see the tabs. I disabled 'Vertical tabs' (see below) to make sure that wasn't why & it didn't matter. Perhaps this is because I'm running Firefox 4B6.

because (not attempting to speak for others) it's wasted space and a distraction for those of us who already have a search solution - whether it be FF4's tab switch, or tab hunter add-on (whose search is superior to both FF4 and tabkit IMO)

FYI, if you like vertical tabs, which I really do, Tab Kit's don't seem to work w/Fx 4 so I run "Vertical Tabs' & it doesn't seem to conflict with Tab Kit.

interesting that there's no conflict. Do you use any custom Tab Kit or VTab settings?
jwalzer50

Post by jwalzer50 »

because (not attempting to speak for others) it's wasted space and a distraction for those of us who already have a search solution - whether it be FF4's tab switch, or tab hunter add-on (whose search is superior to both FF4 and tabkit IMO)

Sorry, WSM; what I meant when I said "I don't know what all the fuss is about", is that I can't see that box so I can't see what all the fuss is about. I didn't mean to imply that it's not a pain.
interesting that there's no conflict. Do you use any custom Tab Kit or VTab settings?

Yes, I play with the preferences, but I can't tell you what I've changed without spending more time on it than I'm willing.
debu

Post by debu »

I've got my tab bar on the left, can someone tell me how to always open a link from a page in a new tab directly UNDER the current tab? As it is, tabs keep opening above the current tab. I've messed around with the settings, but I'm obviously overlooking something. Thanks and happy new year!