Junk Mail and Yahoo problem.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mistaknly

Junk Mail and Yahoo problem.

Post by mistaknly »

Hi there, sorry in advance about being unclear.

I have a Yahoo pop account and another as a free web account. On both, mail that gets put into the "spam" folder at yahoo come over to Thunderbird. Most end up in the Inbox and some go to Junk.

My question is, why does this happen with Yahoo? (In other words, why does mail marked as spam by yahoo still end up in my inbox). Is there a why to keep the spam on the yahoo server and not come into the inbox in Thunderbird.

I have Hotmail and imap accounts where this doesn't happen.

The web accounts use WebMail and WebMail-Yahoo and WebMail-Hotmail.

So even though Yahoo puts the mail into spam, it comes to Thunderbird into the inbox???

Is there anything I can do about that? I only download mail from these accounts every 20 minutes so there's lots of time for Yahoo to move spam into Yahoo spam folder. So why does it come to my inbox in Thunderbird? It's not in the inbox on the Yahoo server.

Thanks,

PS Sorry about the mess, I just don't know what to ask or the proper vocab, and I know zip about Thunderbird internals. I'm just a user.

](*,)
tanstaafl

Re: Junk Mail and Yahoo problem.

Post by tanstaafl »

The webmail add-on has a setting to merge messages from another folder into the inbox when downloading, and add a custom header identifying what folder it came from so that you can use a message filter to move it to the appropriate folder. Its probably set to do that for your spam folder.

You can solve the problem by unchecking that setting but might want to consider using a IMAP account with Yahoo instead. You need to connect via a proxy to do that since its using the Yahoo Mobile support. I use IMAP ID Proxy, launching Thunderbird by having the shortcut run a 2 line batch file where the first line loads the jar file and the second line launches Thunderbird. Occasionally the batch file will stall (easy to close that console window and run it again) but other than that it works well (for me). There is also a Yahoo IMAP Connector shareware program.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webmail ... ail_client

javaw -jar C:\Users\eric\Profiles\ImapIdProxy\ImapIdProxy.jar
"C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
ya hoo

Post by ya hoo »

in Yahoo web mail, in the upper right corner, click Options
click More Options

in the left column, select POP & Forwarding
select don't POP spam
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

That would only apply if you have a Yahoo account that gives you POP access as you do with your Verizon Yahoo account. Free USA Yahoo accounts do not. With those you require an extension or external program to scrape the web page for your email. The setting to not include Junk for the extension are in that extension's properties.
mistaknly

Post by mistaknly »

ya hoo wrote:.
in Yahoo web mail, in the upper right corner, click Options
click More Options

in the left column, select POP & Forwarding
select don't POP spam

Thanks, that should work for the pop account.

And I'll give IMAP ID Proxy a try. However, does it require that you have a "paid" account, not a USA Free account?

I'll be back with how they both work.

Thanks for the replies.
mistaknly

Post by mistaknly »

Daifne wrote:The setting to not include Junk for the extension are in that extension's properties.

I'll uncheck that download junk option. Thanks

It still begs the question as to why (when the download junk is checked) it puts it in the inbox instead of into the junk folder.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"And I'll give IMAP ID Proxy a try. However, does it require that you have a "paid" account, not a USA Free account?"

Nope. I'm in the USA and just have a free yahoo webmail account.
mistaknly

Post by mistaknly »

mistaknly wrote:
I have Hotmail and imap accounts where this doesn't happen.

The web accounts use WebMail and WebMail-Yahoo and WebMail-Hotmail.

Jeesh, I'm not a very well informed user either.... :oops:

"Microsoft had introduced Hotmail POP3 support this year (2009).By just configuring Hotmail POP3 Settings in any email client, you could easily access Hotmail to retrieve and send mails using this email provider."
Read more: http://techblissonline.com/hotmail-pop3 ... z12M5ajA4l
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I was going to say something... There are some people who still prefer the extension for Hotmail so that they can download other folders. If you're used to and prefer POP, then POP is now available directly from Hotmail, as you have just found out.

Post by Guest »

mistaknly wrote:It still begs the question as to why (when the download junk is checked) it puts it in the inbox instead of into the junk folder.

why? because your Junk Mail Controls is not enabled, or has not had sufficient training, or the junk is just a "new design" junk
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

And because you have the extension setup to act like POP3 which takes everything from and deposits everything in the Inbox.