Add-on installed without my knowledge.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
IMB4U

Add-on installed without my knowledge.

Post by IMB4U »

Yesterday, an add-on was automatically downloaded & installed..."without my knowledge"! :evil:

Manage Software Installations and Updates:
X = Allow websites to install extensions and updates
I did not want to check this box...BUT...when I unchecked it, my checkmark for the automatic checking of updates to my installed add-ons ALSO got unchecked:
..Automatically check for updates to:
....Installed Add-ons
Therefore, in order to receive automatic update checks for my installed add-ons, I had to go back and check that first option (allow websites to install....), also. ](*,)

When updates to SeaMonkey are found:
X = Ask me what I want to do
I thought "asking me" meant I would be notified of updates, and then the decision of whether or not to do anything about it, or when, would be left up to me.

As it turns out, I would have allowed the installation of "NoScript" yesterday, BUT...it was quite a surprise for me to open SeaMonkey and have the NoScript website page staring me in the face because I knew I had not been to the NoScript website. I then checked the Add-ons Manager and sure enough, an updated version of NoScript had been installed...and without any notification. That was a shocker. :shock:

I have since unchecked everything in the Preferences/Advanced/Software Installation section. :(

QUESTION RE: Updates to the SeaMonkey browser and extensions/plugins/add-ons.
Where can I check that I wish to receive notifications only?
Win7 64-bit Windows Professional 4Gb RAM/Firefox 20.0.1 (Adblock Plus, Better Privacy, NoScript)/Avast Free 7/MBAM on demand/SpywareBlaster/SAS on demand/WinPatrol
therube

Re: Add-on installed without my knowledge.

Post by therube »

I believe this does happen.
Not clear on the circumstances though? Thinking it will only be from AMO update releases.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
IMB4U

Post by IMB4U »

IMB4U said:
Posted October 6th, 2010, 2:12 am
Yesterday, an add-on was automatically downloaded & installed..."without my knowledge"! :evil:

It happened, AGAIN, only this time, I have "nothing" checked for settings! :shock:

This setting is unchecked: Allow websites to install extensions and updates
BUT...beside that setting is a button for "allowed exceptions" and SeaMonkey has that automatically displaying Mozilla & Personas.
QUESTIONS:
(1) Do I need to delete those 2 from the exceptions?
(2) If "yes" to the above question, then will I need to go back to my settings and add Mozilla each time I want an add-on installed?
(3) How do I simply get SeaMonkey to notify me about an update but allow "me" to decide what to do after the notification? ](*,)
Win7 64-bit Windows Professional 4Gb RAM/Firefox 20.0.1 (Adblock Plus, Better Privacy, NoScript)/Avast Free 7/MBAM on demand/SpywareBlaster/SAS on demand/WinPatrol
IMB4U

Post by IMB4U »

by IMB4U » October 6th, 2010, 2:12 am

by IMB4U » October 14th, 2010, 6:49 am
It happened, AGAIN, only this time, I have "nothing" checked for settings! :shock:

BUT...beside that setting is a button for "allowed exceptions" and SeaMonkey has that automatically displaying Mozilla & Personas.
QUESTIONS:
(2) If "yes" to the above question, then will I need to go back to my settings and add Mozilla each time I want an add-on installed?
(3) How do I simply get SeaMonkey to notify me about an update but allow "me" to decide what to do after the notification? ](*,)

AGAIN: Another add-on just installed itself --- without me doing anything --- and without me even needing to "enable" it. Again, it installed itself and enabled itself, all by itself...and I STILL have everything UNCHECKED in the Preferences - meaning that no add-ons can do anything without my personal actions! :shock:

4:35PM (my time zone on Monday, 10/18/10), I opened up the SeaMonkey browser to see if any add-ons had installed without my knowledge. All was ok; nothing new.

4:40PM, I closed the browser and opened up Firefox. Before Firefox opened, the Firefox alert popped up and showed me that an updated version for NoScript was available and "ASKED" if "I" wanted it installed, and "I" allowed it. When Firefox opened, I was taken to the NoScript website.

INSTANTLY, I thought I had better check the SeaMonkey browser Add-on Manager, again, because if NoScript had an updated version for Firefox, there most likely was an updated version for SeaMonkey available, also. I closed Firefox and re-opened SeaMonkey...and guess what? I was taken immediately to the NoScript website --- which meant that NoScript had just completed installing itself before I opened SeaMonkey :!: :shock: :evil: :roll: :( :?: ](*,)

Does this question I asked last time help anyone:
QUESTIONS:
(3) How do I simply get SeaMonkey to notify me about an update but allow "me" to decide what to do after the notification?

PLEASE, does anyone know how to stop add-ons from AUTOMATICALLY installing themselves WITHOUT my permission or without any action on my part?