Need To Recover Lost Session

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lostsession

Need To Recover Lost Session

Post by lostsession »

My computer shut down by itself. I had both firefox and flock open. Usually they both restore the sessions they have, but this time flock opened with a blank page (I don't know why). I would think a Lost Session issue would be common enough to go on here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=106431

Anyway, I remember one time a longer time ago when my firefox crashed, and it opened with a blank page, and I found a file that listed all the pages in what seemed to be a combination of older sessions, but it had recent pages also, so I was able to recover my session. Since flock is pretty much based off of firefox, I'm hoping someone knows a way to recover the lost session I had since forever on flock.
DanRaisch

Re: Need To Recover Lost Session

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried reviewing the history to see if you can just select the site you need from that?
lostsession

Post by lostsession »

Yea, let's skip the basic ways, and try some advance ones. for flock, the history wasnt set to that far back. Right now, flock is opened, and left blank, and I havent gone to any sites as to not "override" any possible sessions stored somewhere...
lostsession

Post by lostsession »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_Resto ... leshooting

This is the file I likely found last time, sessionstore.bak , but it must be named differently now since I Ctrl+F it and I can't find the file on my entire drive.

Does anyone know what this file is call in the new versions of firefox/flock??
kuptin

Post by kuptin »

sessionstore.bak or sessionstore.js are the files you are looking for, but it is probably the deleted version of the file you would want.
It would exist in the profile folder http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Attempt to use an undelete utility like this or another one http://www.piriform.com/recuva
lostsession

Post by lostsession »

"probably the deleted version of the file you would want."

On the KB link above, it says "The file 'sessionstore.bak' is created if you launch Firefox after a crash has occurred" so why would the 'sessionstore.bak be deleted??

Are you sure about what you said?? Please be accurate, because I think they (firefox developers) just changed the name of the file in the new versions of firefox, while you are saying that those files are still under the same name, and that they were deleted someHOW ?? (what? it just deleted itself?)
kuptin

Post by kuptin »

The filenames have not changed in Firefox, I would think they would be the same in Flock but I can't say for certain. I looked now and my Firefox 3.6.* profile contains a sessionstore.js file only apparently, no .bak file. I do not know under what circumstances the .bak file is created.
Your flock profile is I think in a similar directory to the Firefox one but not the same.

The sessionstore.js file is overwritten every few seconds while running Firefox or Flock, I think. Again, I don't know what causes a .bak file to be created but I do not have one in my profile.
lostsession

Post by lostsession »

Ok, I found "'sessionstore.bak" in both firefox and flock under the profile folder, so PROBLEM SOLVED.

I was wondering why Ctrl-F couldn't find the file, and then I remembered those profile folders are hidden, and Ctrl-F doesn't search hidden on default.

I have a sessionstore.bak on both those browsers because they both had crashed or computer shut down. On the KB link above, it says "The file 'sessionstore.bak' is created if you launch Firefox after a crash has occurred"

So I was lazy and didn't want to have to open each of these many links in the sessionstore.bak file by hand, so I thought maybe one of these sessionstore.js file Recuva found would be the lost session, so I transferred the sessionstore.js file to the profile and everything is all good.

Yes Recuva is awesome. I don't remember when I installed it, but this is the first time I've actually used it in a helpful way.
So I opened Revo Uninstaller right now using Launchy and it looks like it was installed 3/19/09

PLEASE ADD LOST SESSION (this thread or something) TO viewtopic.php?f=38&t=106431 THANKS

because I know it will happen again, and all of us are not going to remember what to do.