Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bernardw

Re: Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

Post by bernardw »

Hi,
I have try what Droace suggest including FF 4 Beta.
Results are the same!

Post by Guest »

Have you tried Malwarebytes in case your antivirus missed something?
bernardw

Post by bernardw »

Hi,
Nothing has been discovered with Malwaresbytes.
trenish

Post by trenish »

I've reached a point where I'm really sick of people telling those of us seeing this problem that it's malware, virus software, etc. We all have the same problem; this hanging issue in Tool-->Options started with 3.6.4, the version which introduced "crash protection". This problem hasn't gone away since.

I've seen the same canned responses from the same users on multiple message boards where we go to this Mozilla link or that, none of which describe system environments us crash-prone people are using. It's pointless and has become a waste of time for all parties involved.

So here's my offer; I live in Fremont and work in Palo Alto, a stone's throw from Mozilla HQ. If an engineer from Mozilla wants to contact me and see the very machine having this crash, please reply here with a way to contact you. I can alternatively create a profile for a private message if that's preferred. Just reply here and tell me what to do.
trenish

Post by trenish »

trenish wrote:I've reached a point where I'm really sick of people telling those of us seeing this problem that it's malware, virus software, etc. We all have the same problem; this hanging issue in Tool-->Options started with 3.6.4, the version which introduced "crash protection". This problem hasn't gone away since.

I've seen the same canned responses from the same users on multiple message boards where we go to this Mozilla link or that, none of which describe system environments us crash-prone people are using. It's pointless and has become a waste of time for all parties involved.

So here's my offer; I live in Fremont and work in Palo Alto, a stone's throw from Mozilla HQ. If an engineer from Mozilla wants to contact me and see the very machine having this crash, please reply here with a way to contact you. I can alternatively create a profile for a private message if that's preferred. Just reply here and tell me what to do.

I created an account. Please sent a PM!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

We are not connected to Mozilla, see http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ Everyone here is a user who volunteers her/his time to help support folks with problems. Chances of a dev seeing this are nil.

Have you tried the suggestions given here, specifically safemode and a new profile?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
begolus

Post by begolus »

I read the thread here: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/707893
Mainly I think of the video card, specifically to reduce the hardware acceleration:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... areacc.htm

Since the problem is a hang, not a crash, Mozilla I think does not get automated reports about it. There are several bug reports filed though (comments in bugs should follow the bug etiquette guidelines) I see these at least:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=575787 this one mentions TortoiseCVS - you don't have that do you?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=587903 in this bug, a developer requests a stacktrace so that would be one way you could help (the bug has some info on how to create one)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=513092 here, I believe a STR is being requested which seems like an abbreviation for stacktrace also

I don't think Mozilla is likely to send someone to your computer to examine it, if a developer needs more information after getting a stacktrace like system specs, graphics card, software installed, hopefully they will know the appropriate questions to ask.

I didn't see anyone in the thread mentioning attempting to use Portable Firefox to see if it has the same problem, it feels like a long shot to me since you have already tried disabling plugin-container.exe (setting all in about:config under plugins.enabled to false, yes?) and a new profile.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Also, you are using Firefox/3.6.3 The first step would be to upgrade 3.6.11 and see if the problem goes away.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Edithka, you have a different problem. Split your post to here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2020421
Post wrangler
trenish

Post by trenish »

begolus wrote:Since the problem is a hang, not a crash, Mozilla I think does not get automated reports about it. There are several bug reports filed though (comments in bugs should follow the bug etiquette guidelines) I see these at least:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=575787 this one mentions TortoiseCVS - you don't have that do you?

I never, ever came across a thread that mentions this particular application nor has anybody else ever mentioned it. This was exactly my problem. Thank you! =D>

And yes, it afflicts all versions of Firefox beyond 3.6.3, including 4 beta.
Andy.Duf

Post by Andy.Duf »

Hi guys

Sounds really strange I know, but do you maybe have installed an outdated version of TortoiseCVS/SVN or other outdated programs?

I had the exact same problem and uninstalling (and reinstalling an newer version, not only updating) an outdated version of TortoiseCVS was the solution. Seems that it cannot be called a "Firefox Bug".

Regards
Andy
trenish

Post by trenish »

Andy.Duf wrote:Hi guys

Sounds really strange I know, but do you maybe have installed an outdated version of TortoiseCVS/SVN or other outdated programs?

I had the exact same problem and uninstalling (and reinstalling an newer version, not only updating) an outdated version of TortoiseCVS was the solution. Seems that it cannot be called a "Firefox Bug".

Regards
Andy

Yes. It's discussed in the post prior to yours.
Andy.Duf

Post by Andy.Duf »

Yes. It's discussed in the post prior to yours.

The impulse to write was much larger than to read (after hours of googling this error).
I was too exited to update myself on the posts then. Sorry!
trenish

Post by trenish »

I'll apologize for being unnecessarily curt in my response. You did in fact bring the correct solution to the table, despite not being the first to do so. Thank you.

I have to wonder if you too work for a certain car company whose IT department was putting Tortoise on standard laptop images. I went ahead and conveyed the bug info back to IT in the hope that a systemic change is made.