"clear recent history" greyed out

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Billb

"clear recent history" greyed out

Post by Billb »

When I click on "tools" I find that both "clear recent history" and "private browsing" are grayed out. How can I clear recent history? I wanted to do this because Firefox has recently slowed way down when loading a page. I have 2 other laptops that connect thru the same router as my desktop that don't have this problem.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Re: "clear recent history" greyed out

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Check: Tools->Options->Privacy tab See if there is a check in the top box that says something about: Always start in PrivateBrowsing -

Running in Private does not store any history and since your in Private all the time the option is grayed out.

If you are indeed running in Private all the time, there has to be another reason for the slow-down other than 'history', as is there isn't any.
Billb

Post by Billb »

Thank you for your answer. That was it. I did clear everything but the browser history but I haven't tried to see if that cured the slowness yet.
Billb

Post by Billb »

I tried to go online. The first page loads OK. When I click on a link on the first page, it takes a long time to load. For example; when I go to MozillaZine it loads fast. When I enter my user name and password, the next page takes for ever. Any ideas?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Check your Firewall and antivirus settings. If you have any "link scanners" running in your antivirus or firewall, these can in some cases dramatically slow down browsing.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Billb

Post by Billb »

I checked both my antivirus and my firewall and neither of them has any indication of a link scanner. My antivirus is Spyware Doctor and my firewall is Comodo. Any suggestions?