MY SITE WONT WORK ON IE6 or 7

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
sksmollett

MY SITE WONT WORK ON IE6 or 7

Post by sksmollett »

Hi all,
I designed a website recently and am still relatively new at it and learning as I go along. The site is http://www.mendozaimports.com
I have had complaints since it has gone live that the tabs on the home page do not show in IE versions earlier than 8 (specifically in IE6 & IE7). It displays OK in other browsers (Firefox, Safari, Opera and IE 8). However it has been let known to me that a significant number of Mendoza customers are likely to be using IE 6 or 7.
I have no idea why it would not be displaying. I assume it is a coding issue or CSS?
Can someone who knows about coding better than I visit the site and 'view source' and check out my coding for the main navigation and see if anything is obvious? Or can I be pointed into a direction of where I can find more help on this matter pleasE? Will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Stephanie S
LoudNoise

Re: MY SITE WONT WORK ON IE6 or 7

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Web Development.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

In the page, the <div id="wrapper"> is in front of the menu bar. I can fix that in IE7 by adding margin-top:2em, but then there would be a big gap in other browsers.

What if you add this after the <ul> in the <div id="menu">, in other words, as the last child, does it help?

Code: Select all

<br style="clear:both">

(The goal would be to fix any problem with the way the floated divs lay out.)
sksmollett

Post by sksmollett »

Thanks so much for your reply! I will try this now and let you know if it resolves the issue!
sksmollett

Post by sksmollett »

Hi Jscher!
Do you have any other ideas I can try? It still seems to not be showing on Explorer. When I put that code you suggested under <ul> and before the menu coding it showed a gap in Safari and Firefox but when I placed it under the menu coding before the </ul> there was no gap and thought maybe that would work for Explorer but it didnt.
I really appreciate your help and welcome any other suggestions.
Many thanks!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

sksmollett wrote:Hi Jscher!
When I put that code you suggested under <ul> and before the menu coding it showed a gap in Safari and Firefox but when I placed it under the menu coding before the </ul> there was no gap and thought maybe that would work for Explorer but it didnt.

Sorry, I should said that more clearly. Place it after the entire <ul></ul> block, just before the </div>.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I played with the source too. I created this image which shows the menu hiding behind the large red background. I was not able to determine which layer was hiding it, however. You can see the yellow on the right end of the image. That is the menu changed to yellow.

You have a lot of layers and css code to work with.

I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
sksmollett

Post by sksmollett »

Thanks for that screenshot. Learning as you go is proving rather difficult when these type of browser problems arise.
Im hoping for a quick fix but it looks like it won't be that simple. Any more suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
BruceAWittmeier

I dont know if you inherited this site or built from the ground, but you might consider downloading KompoZer (free visual editor for HTML and CSS).

Then join this forum and get some assistance from these experts. They are very knowledgeable about web dev and very helpful.

This page would get you off to a great start. It has a header, footer, nav column and horizontal menu as yours does. You edit the css right inside the visual window so when a change is made it shows up immediately. Oh, and its free!

http://www.gregtutor.plus.com/kompozer0 ... rpage.html

KompoZer download (Id jump directly to version 0.8)
http://www.kompozer.net/download.php
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

This seems to work using the Developer Tools add-in for IE7: change float:right to float:left for <div id="menu">. Does it work in real life?
BruceAWittmeier

I can get it to work by setting the menu to float: left; << looks like the fix - works in FF and IE7.

Also setting clear: both; will assure there wont be anything on either side.
sksmollett

Post by sksmollett »

Ok thanks! I will try this today.
Will let you know how it goes.
Much appreciated!! :)
sksmollett

Post by sksmollett »

SUCCESS! It worked!!
Thank you so much!!!! :) :) :)
Pim

Post by Pim »

Also, you might want to try the validation service at http://validator.w3.org. It will tell you if your code is standards compliant.
Groetjes, Pim