MozillaZine

[SOLVED] Flash hangs Firefox 3.6 or 3.7(on XP and linux)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
rob64rock

User avatar
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: November 11th, 2009, 6:16 am

Post Posted May 26th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Ok, I've figured out what's going on.

Basically, it's what I suspected all along. Firefox developers have started to add the code for process isolation for Plugins to Firefox 3.6.4 and later, but it's not working properly yet. Whenever this process loads,however, the browser freezes.

First go to Tools , Add-ons , then Plugins and disable flash plugins ( including Shockwave for Director).

Then go type about:config in Firefox url bar, go past the warnings. Do Filter search "ipc" not quotes . You should see something like this:

For XP:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;10

For Linux:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libflashplayer.so;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libnptest.so;true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;10

To turn off the flash process isolation, change the second line: for XP (npswf32.dll) or for Linux (libflashplayer.so) to false and restart the browser. Then re-enable flash and the browser should be able to load flash pages and play flash video as usual.

For Firefox 3.7 and later (Minefield) users add second line: According to which OS you have.In about:config ,right click ,create new boolean, paste or type(second line above) and set to false restart the browser. Then re-enable flash and the browser should be able to load flash pages and play flash video as usual.
Last edited by rob64rock on November 4th, 2010, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman

User avatar
 
Posts: 374
Joined: January 3rd, 2004, 1:51 pm
Location: New York

Post Posted May 26th, 2010, 7:16 pm

rob64rock wrote:For XP:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;10


Umm, don't have any of those lines. XP SP2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 FireTorrent/2.0.1
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin

pal-moz
 
Posts: 5937
Joined: September 23rd, 2005, 5:40 pm
Location: Tokyo , Japan

Post Posted May 26th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Rocketman wrote:
rob64rock wrote:For XP:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;10


Umm, don't have any of those lines. XP SP2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 FireTorrent/2.0.1

ipc is landed after 3.6.4.

DooksY
 
Posts: 1
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 8:27 am

Post Posted November 4th, 2010, 8:39 am

thanks rob64rock :)

UrbenLegend
 
Posts: 307
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 11:12 am

Post Posted November 6th, 2010, 12:08 pm

rob64rock wrote:Ok, I've figured out what's going on.

Basically, it's what I suspected all along. Firefox developers have started to add the code for process isolation for Plugins to Firefox 3.6.4 and later, but it's not working properly yet. Whenever this process loads,however, the browser freezes.

First go to Tools , Add-ons , then Plugins and disable flash plugins ( including Shockwave for Director).


This step is quite unnecessary if all you want is to disable ipc.

rob64rock

User avatar
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: November 11th, 2009, 6:16 am

Post Posted November 6th, 2010, 12:42 pm

UrbenLegend wrote:
rob64rock wrote:Ok, I've figured out what's going on.

Basically, it's what I suspected all along. Firefox developers have started to add the code for process isolation for Plugins to Firefox 3.6.4 and later, but it's not working properly yet. Whenever this process loads,however, the browser freezes.

First go to Tools , Add-ons , then Plugins and disable flash plugins ( including Shockwave for Director).


This step is quite unnecessary if all you want is to disable ipc.


I know it may be overkill, but it's to insure that the "plugin-container.exe" has ended its process has intended during restarting the browser instead of hanging, which I've seen happen. It would be great if the "plugin-container.exe" would end or restart its process as intended when the flash plugin process hangs. In my opinion OOPP still needs a lot work for a few select users.

Nataly56
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 14th, 2011, 12:30 am

Post Posted July 14th, 2011, 12:55 am

Firefox has a recovery mechanism, for when restoring a session causes problems?

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27683
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted July 14th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Locking due to age of thread as it was for 3.6 and what what early 4.0 (3.7) builds then.

Start a new thread with this question please thank you.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests