[Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
TEA-Time

Re: [Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accoun

Post by TEA-Time »

CAL-123 wrote:Got the same problem...erratic is the word. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. BUT it does give snippets if you 'hover' over the icon. Is there any conflicts in running Gmail Notifier along with this one? Anyway, I'm going to try that...at least Notifier 'notifies'!

If there are conflicts...I'll post back.

:-"

Hey CAL,

Quite a few pages back in this forum it was discovered that it was necessary to enter the e-mail address in lower case for things to work right. For me it made the both the count and notification sounds work. Might this be the problem you're seeing?

viewtopic.php?p=9338245#p9338245
FaeGiN

Post by FaeGiN »

Wow this is brilliant!
I really did think it was the end of the line for this when it started to not work so often as of maybe a couple of weeks or so ago.
I came by here but after reading so many problems etcv I decided not to even try the posted mook version at all.
Well I returned today and tried it.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
I now have my favourite extension back working again and it's fine. Actually, seems to me to be more responsive than it ever was before. I like yours better mook ;)
Thanks again for keeping this going, there are a lot of fans thanking you I am sure mook.
Cheers to all who have been pitching in to get something sorted.
CAL-123

Post by CAL-123 »

@ Brand404 @ TEA-time...Thanks to both! It was the lower case issue all the time. ](*,)
Somehow I put the email in with a cap to start the address! Duhh, they do call be stupid at times!! :mrgreen: ...after disabling, new profile, safe modes + all sorts of other crap...that's all it was.

Working fine now! Thanks TEA-time for jarring this old head of mine and also a big thanks to Brand404 for 'pushing' me to try it all!
TEA-Time

Post by TEA-Time »

Excellent! Glad I could help. :-)

Post by 49311 »

Thanks mook and everyone else who helped with the fix :)
th.danzig

Post by th.danzig »

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, as I just installed Gmail Manager as a Firefox add-on. I was curious whether there is a pop-up notification in the active window that new mail has been received. As far as I can see (but correct me if I'm wrong) there is only a notification in the statusbar of Firefox. This means that when another non-Firefox window is active (i.e. the Firefox window is not displayed) I cannot see whether a new mail has been delivered. I have to skip to the Firefox window to see if the statusbar has changed.

The add-on Gmail Notifier has a pop-up window that is even visible when the Firefox window is not the top window. Does Gmail Manager has a feature like that?

Regards,
Thomas
samuelal

Post by samuelal »

Hi!

I've been following CAL-123's problem closely along side TEA-Time & Brand404's advice.

Let me describe what's going on:
1. Runing FireFox v3.6.12.
2. Using mook's latest v0.6.1 build (0.6.1.0.1.20101101.mook).
3. Five (5) Gmail accounts are setup in Gmail Manager.
4. Gmail Buzz is disabled on all accounts.
5. Priority Inbox is disabled on all accounts.
6. All Gmail Labs plugins are disabled on all accounts.
7. All five accounts are written in lower-case letters, both in Gmail Manager and in Gmail (I never setup accounts with Capital letters).

The results are:
1. Four (4) of those accounts are working perfectly.
2. One (1) account is simply refusing to notify me when new mail arrives: Unread Emails counter's simply stuck at 0.
3. If however, I hover with my mouse pointer above the problematic account in my status bar - It'll display the correct snippets from all new, unread messages!

Any ideas what's going on here?

Many thanks to those who can help.

My best regards,
Samuel
//subscribed to this thread.
brand404

Post by brand404 »

th.danzig wrote:Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, as I just installed Gmail Manager as a Firefox add-on. I was curious whether there is a pop-up notification in the active window that new mail has been received. As far as I can see (but correct me if I'm wrong) there is only a notification in the statusbar of Firefox. This means that when another non-Firefox window is active (i.e. the Firefox window is not displayed) I cannot see whether a new mail has been delivered. I have to skip to the Firefox window to see if the statusbar has changed.

Hey Tom...

You can set the Display snippets when new mail is received. option checkbox under the Notifications Tab for an email account and this will pop up (rather, scroll up from the windows task bar) no matter which window has the focus. I've tried this before and it works like a charm -- actually just tried it again right now. Form me i prefer just sound (mine is a "wind chime" sfx: Listen Here) to notify when new mail arrives.
brand404

Post by brand404 »

samuelal wrote:The results are:
1. Four (4) of those accounts are working perfectly.
2. One (1) account is simply refusing to notify me when new mail arrives: Unread Emails counter's simply stuck at 0.
3. If however, I hover with my mouse pointer above the problematic account in my status bar - It'll display the correct snippets from all new, unread messages!

Hey Sam, hmmm..sounds like you found a new bug in this hack. I will go see if i can recreate it on my side (hopefully i can) and see whats up. And if recreatable i will go ahead and report this as a bug on the dev page to see what Mook can find.

Update:

I tried to recreate it on my side with 5 accounts and it worked perfectly still. I even set the auto-login feature for all 5 thinking it might be a problem with asynch on startup. No problems there.

Questions:

1. Is it always the same account that has the problem?
2. Are your option settings within GMM for each email account the same? I am curious if its a stray setting.
3. If you created a 6th email account (dont forget to turn off buzz) does it work fine -- does it also shows unread count and snippets?
4. Because GMM has a wacky ability to show mirror displays of email account(s) in the status bar if u set things in a certain way i wonder if there might be a display conflict and although you may only see one account maybe there is a 2nd hidden underneath another extension which is showing the count instead. If it hasnt been done so already can you uncheck the "Display in Toolbar" option.

Later today i might go read Mook's code to see how he's calculating Unread Count....i might be able to spot the problem. I am hoping to be able to recreate the problem on my end before submitting it as a bug.
th.danzig

Post by th.danzig »

brand404 wrote:
Hey Tom...

You can set the Display snippets when new mail is received. option checkbox under the Notifications Tab for an email account and this will pop up (rather, scroll up from the windows task bar) no matter which window has the focus. I've tried this before and it works like a charm -- actually just tried it again right now. Form me i prefer just sound (mine is a "wind chime" sfx: Listen Here) to notify when new mail arrives.

Thanks for your reply. Although the box Display snippets has been toggled, I do not seem to receive any notification. Very annoying. I am puzzled by why this doesn't work for me, when it does for you. Any suggestions are still welcome.

P.S. I don't want a sound to be played as I use Gmail Manager on my office PC and I don't want my colleagues to know that I am receiving that much private mail :lol: I have muted the PC anyway in order not to disturb my colleagues with all kinds of sounds my PC wants to make.
brand404

Post by brand404 »

th.danzig wrote:
brand404 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Although the box Display snippets has been toggled, I do not seem to receive any notification. Very annoying. I am puzzled by why this doesn't work for me, when it does for you. Any suggestions are still welcome.

So it doesnt pop up anything at all (even if firefox is the in-focus foreground app)? That's intriguing...i really wish some of this stuff would occur for me. I wonder if it is an extension conflict then. Can u disable all your extensions except for GMM...also disable all the Plugins too (ie, the area that has things like Java, Flash, Silverlight, Realplayer, etc).
samuelal

Post by samuelal »

brand404 wrote:Hey Sam, hmmm..sounds like you found a new bug in this hack. I will go see if i can recreate it on my side (hopefully i can) and see whats up. And if recreatable i will go ahead and report this as a bug on the dev page to see what Mook can find.

Later today i might go read Mook's code to see how he's calculating Unread Count....i might be able to spot the problem. I am hoping to be able to recreate the problem on my end before submitting it as a bug.

Thank you kindly, brand404 - for your assistance!

Answers to your questions:
1. Is it always the same account that has the problem?

1. It is always the same account:
I tried removing the account, closing Firefox, restarting Firefox, adding the account back again (even under a different Alias, and even the Alias is in lower-case letters) - still the same results.

2. Are your option settings within GMM for each email account the same? I am curious if its a stray setting.

2. All options within GMM for each Email account are the same*.
*attached below are screenshots to all settings.

3. If you created a 6th email account (dont forget to turn off buzz) does it work fine -- does it also shows unread count and snippets?

3. I've setup a 6th Email account (with the same settings), works fine and displays both unread count and snippets.

4. Because GMM has a wacky ability to show mirror displays of email account(s)... If it hasnt been done so already can you uncheck the "Display in Toolbar" option.

4. Prior to posting here, I've already set in all accounts the "Display in Toolbar" options off.

Here are the settings for all accounts plus the general settings:

Again, brand404 - thank you very much for all your help!

Regards,
Samuel
brand404

Post by brand404 »

Hey Sam,

Thanks for checking all those things! Ok, at least we now know its likely a setting within GMail itself which is confusing GMM. I havent looked at the GMM code yet to see how its calculating things (either by counting the unread snippets, or if it is scraping the total from the returned page code). When i have time later today i will go check.

Try these things:

1) Try adding sound alert to GMM for the non-working account (e.g. You can use this sound file and then trigger it to check for new mail again. I want to see if the sound plays indicating that New Mail was found despite it continuing to show "0 unread"...this will tell me it is some kind of scraping issue within GMM itself.

2) Go into GMail of the account that isnt working and change the theme to be the same theme as one of your working accounts. See if it works now.

3) Now lets go full out... Are you able to duplicate the Settings within GMail from your working account to your non-working? We know its not a Labs issue so i wonder if it is one of the settings tabs that is confusing GMM. I think you should do 1 tab at a time and then check to see if things are working....so i say start with "General", then Labels, etc..

This should be very interesting. :-k
samuelal

Post by samuelal »

brand404 wrote:Hey Sam,

Thanks for checking all those things!
Try these things:...

This should be very interesting. :-k

Once again - thank you kindly, brand404!

1) Try adding sound alert to GMM for the non-working account..

1. Sound doesn't play on the problematic account. Sound does play on another account (nice .wav file btw :wink: ).

2) Go into GMail of the account that isnt working and change the theme to be the same theme as one of your working accounts.

2. I've never changed the theme on all 5 Gmail accounts - it's still the default "Classic" theme on all of them.

3) Now lets go full out...

3. Done. I've compared screenshots from another, working account and all tabs are setup the same.

Still the same.

BTW:
To confirm your suspicion about my problematic Gmail account, after completing your advice from step 3 that's listed above, I've installed Firefox (3.6.12) and mook's GMM v0.6.1 on a freshly built Virtual Machine.
Same thing - the counter doesn't advance on that problematic Email account.

Best regards,
Samuel
brand404

Post by brand404 »

samuelal wrote:BTW:
To confirm your suspicion about my problematic Gmail account, after completing your advice from step 3 that's listed above, I've installed Firefox (3.6.12) and mook's GMM v0.6.1 on a freshly built Virtual Machine.
Same thing - the counter doesn't advance on that problematic Email account.
l

Wow, this is VERY interesting!!! Nice touch with the Virtual Machine test. I think i will have to go read Mook's code on unread count and get back to you...i need to see how he is calculating it so i can formulate more tests.

TTYL.
Last edited by brand404 on November 8th, 2010, 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.