What POP and SMTP port numbers for Yahoo email?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
doesterr

What POP and SMTP port numbers for Yahoo email?

Post by doesterr »

Can anyone guide me on setting the ports for POP and for SMTP access to Yahoo mail? I know HOW, but what numbers?

If it makes a difference, I'm running on Windows 7 in a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop
DanRaisch

Re: What POP and SMTP port numbers for Yahoo email?

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you asking about a free US Yahoo! webmail account?
Pim

Post by Pim »

Does this help? (from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 102AAAVBA1)

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 995)
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication)
Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com")
Email Address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (e.g., user@yahoo.com)
Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
Groetjes, Pim
doesterr

Post by doesterr »

Pim, I have some problems there, trying to follow your specs.

I found that I had (I don't know from where) "Server pop.att.yahoo.com". Following your last post, I made that "pop.mail.yahoo.com". Port 995.

Then the second instruction, I found I had "Server smtp.att.yahoo.com", and I dutifully changed it to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com". Port 465. There is not, as far as I can tell, a provision in the smtp window for using SSL, although there is up in the POP section. I called for authentication, as directed. ( I did allow SSL/TSL in the POP section above, since there is that choice there. )

Upon inspection, I did find that I had mistakenly given my full email address as the login name, rather than the "doesterr" which should have been there. I made that change.

Aha says I to myself, NOW it should work!

No such luck. Again, Yahoo (or is it ATT, who processes things for Yahoo?) refused to regurgitate my email, although it told me "connected to pop.mail.yahoo.com".
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That all depends on who is actually your email provider. Are you accessing a free US Yahoo account or does your ISP use Yahoo to manage it's email requirements? What comes after the @ symbol in your email address? (Please do NOT post your full email address here.)
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

You can't use POP with a Free Yahoo account. If you login to your free Yahoo account and go to Options, Mail Options, POP Forwarding, you get this message:

Upgrade to Mail Plus! so you can:

* download your Yahoo! Mail in an email client, such as Outlook
* forward your Yahoo! Mail to a different address

Mail Plus costs $19.99 per year.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
doesterr

Post by doesterr »

I do not pay anything to Yahoo. My telephone/DSL service is through ATT, and I frankly don't know whether I have a fee in my telephone bill that might relate to the Yahoo account. I've never had any notice that I should pay anything to Yahoo.

The email address is ***@sbcglobal.net. Yahoo tells me that ATT actually does all the handling of my mail traffic, and the ATT support gave me and later changed my password for me, which Yahoo support tells me also becomes the password for Yahoo. I suppose that means ATT is my ISP.

I have always (at least nine years) used POP with my email, and my wife's email (also with Yahoo) also uses POP. She uses Thunderbird, where I use Seamonkey. With the same port assignments, etc., she can both send and receive email from Yahoo.

I cannot either send or receive email from my Yahoo account, within Seamonkey. The error message says the attempted (SMTP) connection timed out.

While exploring just this morning, I learned that by going to My.Yahoo.Com I can read my email on their facility, but I don't like their email interface. I like the Seamonkey integrated email much better than any other email approach that I've tried.

Dave Oesterreich
Pim

Post by Pim »

Your setup is a bit vague, but I did find this with a little googling.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 6050811067
Groetjes, Pim
BillT52

Post by BillT52 »

Pim's link should answer most of your questions. You also have the correct port numbers. The only thing is to turn on SSL on the SMTP outgoing server. In the dialogue box where you set up the SMTP server name, there should be a drop down box at the bottom labeled "Connection Security: ". Select SSL/TLS.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking due to the age of the original posts.