MozillaZine

Slow Response with v3.1.6

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Tim Z
 
Posts: 60
Joined: December 16th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 12:43 pm

I first upgraded to 3.0.10 for a day or so and then to 3.1.6 the other day. With both versions I am noticing that it is now really slow to connect and retrieve my emails. There are now 6 gray bars in the bottom left that detail each step it is taking during the process of "Get Mail", and it takes about 7 seconds to complete this task. For a comparison I did the send and receive in Outlook Express and it takes less than 1 second. Why is it that Thunderbird takes 7x as long to perform the same task?

Not sure if I can get an answer to this here, but if I wanted to switch back to Outlook (or another email program) how can I export and import my TB folders and files to the other program? Or is this even possible?

Thanks
Tim

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Tim Z wrote:I first upgraded to 3.0.10 for a day or so and then to 3.1.6 the other day. With both versions I am noticing that it is now really slow to connect and retrieve my emails. There are now 6 gray bars in the bottom left that detail each step it is taking during the process of "Get Mail", and it takes about 7 seconds to complete this task.
what steps? never heard of such a thing.

have you moved everything out of the Inbox to other folders?

is TB set on Auto Compact?

do you empty the Junk and Trash folders at least occasionally?

Tim Z
 
Posts: 60
Joined: December 16th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Guest wrote:
what steps? never heard of such a thing.

have you moved everything out of the Inbox to other folders?

is TB set on Auto Compact?

do you empty the Junk and Trash folders at least occasionally?[/quote]

The steps are (with a read out):

1) Looking for shawmail.gv.shawcable.net
2) Connecting to shawmail.gv.shawcable.net
3) Connected to shawmail.gv.shawcable.net
4) Connect: Host Contacted, sending login information
5) Checking inbox for new messages
6) No messages to download
7) There are no new messages on the server

Each of these steps is about 1 second. If there is a message, then 6 & 7 change their wording.

There is rarely ever anything saved in my inbox. I read it and either move it to a folder or delete immediately. My inbox is always clean as a whistle.

Yes, I always have TB set on Auto Compact, but I still do it manually fairly often anyway.

There is never anything kept in my Junk or Trash folders, as the trash is set to delete on exit, and I pretty well always remove Junk as I get it.

t

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 2:21 pm

thanks for the response.

can that fancy multi-step read-out be disabled? You don't suppose that readout and bars in itself is causing the delay ??

Tim Z
 
Posts: 60
Joined: December 16th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Guest wrote:thanks for the response.

can that fancy multi-step read-out be disabled? You don't suppose that readout and bars in itself is causing the delay ??


I have looked all through the account and option settings, and can find nothing about it, nor if it can be disabled. AFAIK, this never happened before until I upgraded to 3.0.10 and then 3.1.6. Also, when I had 3.1.6 installed on my laptop in Win 7x64, it did not do this. The PC I am using it on now, is an XP machine. I wonder if this might be an issue with the newer versions running in XP ?

It very well may be these steps and read outs that are causing the delay, but if I can't disable it, then I appear to be stuck with it.

Tim Z
 
Posts: 60
Joined: December 16th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Doesn't do the same thing in Safe Mode. Not quite as fast as Outlook Express, but still about 6 x faster than TB not in Safe Mode. So what's happening here?

wsmwk
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 6:52 am

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 5:47 pm

If it "Doesn't do the same thing in Safe Mode." then the cause is an add-on you installed. Can you identify which one, by disabling them one at a time?

Tim Z
 
Posts: 60
Joined: December 16th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Post Posted November 8th, 2010, 5:57 pm

wsm wrote:If it "Doesn't do the same thing in Safe Mode." then the cause is an add-on you installed. Can you identify which one, by disabling them one at a time?


Thanks wsm . . . . you got it Man! :) It was the Mail Tweak Add-on causing it. Back to normal again.

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests