Flash/ShockwavE Player installed but Not working! Plz help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ke3pup

Flash/ShockwavE Player installed but Not working! Plz help

Post by Ke3pup »

hi guys

I've always had Flash/Shockwave installed since version 0.9,i'm curretnly runnig Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0..... but now out of no where Flash and Shock wave stopped working without me doing anything. it's as if they're not installed. i checked in plug in folder and i have :

GetFlash
flashplayer.xpt
ShockwavePlugin.class

i checked in About"Plugins and i have:

Shockwave Flash
File name: npswf32.dll
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19

MIME Type --------------------------- Description -------------------------- Suffixes----------- Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash------ Macromedia Flash movie----------- swf---------------- Yes
application/futuresplash -------------FutureSplash movie----------------- spl----------------- Yes

Shockwave for Director

File name: np32dsw.dll
Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.1

MIME Type-------------------------- Description---------- Suffixes------Enabled
application/x-director---------------Shockwave Movie---dir,dxr,dcr----Yes

i tried downloading and installing them again (Flash player 7.0.19.0 for mozilla and Shockwave 10.1.0.11) , but still doesn't work! its as if they're not installed. i removed the file in Plugin folder and tried downloading,installing them again but still same problem. i can't view anything i flash . please help. thanx
Thank You
fnkmaster

Post by fnkmaster »

Is npswf32.dll in your plugins directory? That's there in my plugins directory, in addition to flashplayer.xpt. I don't think the ShockwavePlugin.class file is needed, but I'm not certain about that. Sometimes I have trouble with a plugin that's "registered" with the browser but not in the plugins directory itself, and copying the plugin DLL to the plugins directory fixes everything.

If that fails, I know it sounds hokey, but have you tried rebooting your computer and seeing if they work? I have sometimes had a weird issue where plugins weren't getting detected when first installed and then I rebooted and everything was magically working again (probably a hanging firefox process or something similar in that case).
Ke3pup

Post by Ke3pup »

yes npswf32.dll is in my Plugin directory. can someone tell me how can i fix this? rebooting didn't help. plz help
Thank You

Post by Guest »

Make sure you also have flashplayer.xpt (required for flash scripting support)
Ke3pup

Post by Ke3pup »

i do have it, look at the first post. seems like i have everything i need to have! but it deosnt work at all.
Thank You
fnkmaster

Post by fnkmaster »

Huh, I don't know then, there must be something else going on. I don't really have any other good ideas, maybe somebody else will. At that point I would probably do a "clean reinstall" though it's a pain in the butt (and somebody may come along with a better answer). Anyway, clean reinstall means: back up the profile directory (bookmarks.html, anything else in there - see the sticky post on upgrading to 1.0 at the top of the forum for a list of important files and how to find the profile directory), uninstall Firefox, manually delete the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox directory, and then reinstall FF (and the Flash 7 plugin). Weird, unfindable problems often seem to happen in upgrade installations from 0.9x, unfortunately, and clean reinstalls often seem to fix them, though I can't promise that will work in this case.
Ke3pup

Post by Ke3pup »

i hope someone can help me fix this. cause i dont really think Cleanm install would help. i just download Flash and Shockwave "uninstaller" . removed them using it and then install them over again but it didn't help!
Thank You
Ke3pup

Post by Ke3pup »

man there is nothing else i can do. i just uninstalled Firefox completely, deleted any folder or file related to Firefox and installed it again. even that didn't help my problem! still shockwave dosent work! nothing made with flash works on my Firefox! does anyone know what's wrong! there is nothing left for me to do here.
Thank You

Post by Guest »

I have just installed firefox and I am facing the same problem. A little green puzzle comes up, saying to download Micromedia flash player, however after click yes etc.....the thing just freezes there and nothing downloads.........so i cannot use the browser with any page that needs micromedia flash, and trust me there are quitr a few..........
fnkmaster

Post by fnkmaster »

Guest: no, that is a different problem, what you are describing is the broken plugin finding, which has been discussed many times. Just install manually from here and Flash should work. ke3pup's problem is different, and uniquely sucky, your problem is a common one. Please don't hijack the thread to get help with your problem, start a new one.

ke3pup: Since you have exhausted all the other options, including a complete uninstall of FF, are you willing to try my suggestion of deleting the profile folder (after backing up bookmarks of course)? :) I know you said you deleted any file or folder "related to Firefox", but you never said that you definitely tried deleting the profile. I strongly recommend doing so if you haven't.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas. I am still hoping somebody else jumps in on the thread here to help out, since this is a strange sounding problem.