Importing bookmarks without overwriting the existing file

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SlickRCBD*

Importing bookmarks without overwriting the existing file

Post by SlickRCBD* »

I haven't done this trick in a while, but I'm in a computer lab for a night school course working on the term paper. I've found a bunch of good sources and am exporting the bookmark file to my flash drive.

When I get home, I'd like to import those sources into my own bookmark file without destroying the stuff that is already there.

Has anything changed in Firefox 3.6.12 in how it handles this procedure since Firefox 2, or can I safely choose "import html" and it will tack on the file at the end in a separate folder?

The school is still using Firefox 3.6.3. This wasn't a problem before, but FIrefox's bookmark system was substantially changed at either 3.0 or 3.5 (I forgot) and I don't want to accidentally ruin my existing bookmarks by choosing "import html".
TerenceJC

Re: Importing bookmarks without overwriting the existing fi

Post by TerenceJC »

In Firefox 3, imported bookmarks are added to the end of your Bookmarks Menu.This means, for instance, that bookmarks from exported Firefox 3 bookmarks will have the imported bookmark folders (Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu, and Unsorted Bookmarks) added to the end of the existing Bookmarks Menu and you will have to check the nesting and move wanted imported bookmarks where you want them and remove any unwanted folders and bookmarks left over from the import.

from Import bookmarks - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Also see Difference between restoring and importing bookmarks
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Also, be sure to backup your bookmarks before attempting the import (just in case).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

Thanks for confirming things, and of course I intend to backup the bookmark file before attempting things. I back it up regularly as losing it would be near catastrophic for me.
TerenceJC

Post by TerenceJC »

You're Welcome! :D