Firefox 4.0b7 Discussion, Problems, Issues

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Bluefang

Re: Firefox 4.0b7 Discussion, Problems, Issues

Post by Bluefang »

Firefox uses Direct3d (DirectX9+ I think) to do compositing, which is supported on XP. You can check Help -> Troubleshooting Information and at the button look at "GPU Accelerated Windows" to see if any windows are actually being accelerated.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Alice

Post by Alice »

tmdorsey wrote:
Erunno wrote:
tmdorsey wrote:Is there a nightly or something that addresses the issue with flash videos not working in beta 7 on Mac?

Are you referring to flash videos in general or just on particular sites? If the former then you sure you are using Flash 10.1? Earlier versions will not work with Firefox 4.0.

Flash videos in general. It seems like every flash site I visit the video won't load. Didn't have this issue with beta 6.

Try this:
Close Firefox, control-click the Firefox.app icon, select "Get Info", and then check the box, "Open in 32-bit mode".

Ref:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/765367

I've added this solution to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Flash_does_not_work_in_Firefox_4_Beta_7_-_Mac_OS
Alice Wyman
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Bluefang wrote:Firefox uses Direct3d (DirectX9+ I think) to do compositing, which is supported on XP. You can check Help -> Troubleshooting Information and at the button look at "GPU Accelerated Windows" to see if any windows are actually being accelerated.

It says: GPU Accelerated Windows: 0/1. I have Hardware Acceleration dialed down to "None" because on my system it just makes video even worse than with it turned on. I did have gfx.direct2d.disabled set to "false" but I don't think that has any effect in XP and setting it to "true" and restarting had no impact. It seems like for whatever reason it's treating "about:home" like the other "about" pages and not obeying content minimum font sizes. I see the same results in "about:support" for instance where the buttons and headers all obey the minimum font size while the rest of the text stays at a set size. Page Zoom does work in all cases, but I would rather have it obey the min font size.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

patrickjdempsey wrote:It says: GPU Accelerated Windows: 0/1. I have Hardware Acceleration dialed down to "None" because on my system it just makes video even worse than with it turned on. I did have gfx.direct2d.disabled set to "false" but I don't think that has any effect in XP and setting it to "true" and restarting had no impact. It seems like for whatever reason it's treating "about:home" like the other "about" pages and not obeying content minimum font sizes. I see the same results in "about:support" for instance where the buttons and headers all obey the minimum font size while the rest of the text stays at a set size. Page Zoom does work in all cases, but I would rather have it obey the min font size.

You could try th "old" default start page... http://www.google.com/firefox?client=fi ... S:official and then see if your font changes will stick.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I have absolutely no problems with "real" content pages obeying the min font size, just the "about" pages. What's really weird is that apparently buttons, headers, and text input boxes DO obey the min font size, but not regular text. I have also tried changing the Windows UI font size under Display Properties > Appearance > Font Size and this does change these fonts relative to the rest of the page but they are still not obeying the Firefox min font size setting.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
tmdorsey

Post by tmdorsey »

Alice wrote:Try this:
Close Firefox, control-click the Firefox.app icon, select "Get Info", and then check the box, "Open in 32-bit mode".

Ref:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/765367

I've added this solution to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Flash_does_not_work_in_Firefox_4_Beta_7_-_Mac_OS

It worked!!! Thanks so much! Glad I can use FF again. :D
RLSpencer

Post by RLSpencer »

Rocketman wrote:I'd like to know why the UI resets the toolbar back to the default whenever I close B7. I rearrange the buttons & the next time I start B7, my changes are gone.

*EDIT* OK, maybe not everytime, but most of the time.

I see this,too. It happens more often just after installing a new extension, but does happen sometimes when I just start the program after it having been shutdown. I've noticed that it only seems to affect the original toolbar and not my ones I've added later. I've moved the URL box and search box up into the menu toolbar and added the personal menu extension's button; and when this happens, the menu bar and the main toolbar reset back to their default settings (all my added buttons in the main toolbar disappear, the url box and search box go back into the main toolbar, and the personal menu button vanishes leaving a blank menu toolbar). When I reboot afterwards (sometimes it takes several tries to get it back), the menu bar goes back to the way I set it with the URL box and search box and personal menu button back up there, but the main toolbar remains reset to default losing every button I've added into it. It is a major pain to have to redo that toolbar several times a day because of it, so I've had to just make an extra toolbar for everything I wanted to add to it; and I only keep the back, forward, home, reload, and feedback buttons in it as that's what it keeps getting reset to every time this happens anyway.
Grosst

Post by Grosst »

Just a quick question. Did they change how Firefox saves tab sessions so there would be no lag in flash videos? Since in the current public version I had to change the saving time in order to lessen the lag/choppiness/stuttering I'd get when watching flash videos from sties.
xtrsports

Post by xtrsports »

Has anyone have any issues using Windows Live SkyDrive with there photo's. I'm for some reason can not see my Photo's with this build. Maybe I need to do a clean install and try again. Just wondering if anyone else has issues with skydrive with photo's not showing.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

RLSpencer wrote:
Rocketman wrote:I'd like to know why the UI resets the toolbar back to the default whenever I close B7. I rearrange the buttons & the next time I start B7, my changes are gone.

I see this,too. It happens more often just after installing a new extension, but does happen sometimes when I just start the program after it having been shutdown. I've noticed that it only seems to affect the original toolbar and not my ones I've added later. I've moved the URL box and search box up into the menu toolbar and added the personal menu extension's button; and when this happens, the menu bar and the main toolbar reset back to their default settings (all my added buttons in the main toolbar disappear, the url box and search box go back into the main toolbar, and the personal menu button vanishes leaving a blank menu toolbar). When I reboot afterwards (sometimes it takes several tries to get it back), the menu bar goes back to the way I set it with the URL box and search box and personal menu button back up there, but the main toolbar remains reset to default losing every button I've added into it. It is a major pain to have to redo that toolbar several times a day because of it, so I've had to just make an extra toolbar for everything I wanted to add to it; and I only keep the back, forward, home, reload, and feedback buttons in it as that's what it keeps getting reset to every time this happens anyway.

Could be an addon that's messing up the customizations. Try disabling all of your extensions and then re-enable them one at a time, seeing if it keeps your customizations.

You could also give this a shot.
RLSpencer

Post by RLSpencer »

KWierso wrote:
RLSpencer wrote:

Could be an addon that's messing up the customizations. Try disabling all of your extensions and then re-enable them one at a time, seeing if it keeps your customizations.

I tried it in a brand new profile with no extensions or any changes except adding buttons to the menu bar and toolbar, and same thing. Occasionally it resets the main toolbar. All I did was add some buttons already in the dialog to the main bar, and used the program. The fourth time I restarted it, toolbar was reset back to default. Added buttons back, and second time after that, reset again. It seems to be just the main toolbar that won't retain it's settings. Although the menu bar did lose it's settings temporarily during these 'glitches', it returns back to what you've changed it to. The main toolbar doesn't. Once it glitches, it returns to default button set and stays that way.
RLSpencer

Post by RLSpencer »

Okay, I did some more testing and can recreate the situation at will. A combination of the PDF Download extension and the Personal menu extension causes it to happen EVERY time!!! Either one by itself seems fine but together they cause the toolbars to go oddball. And when you uninstall one, the main toolbar resets to default... but I figured out why... It's the FEEDBACK button. When I disable the feedback extension that comes with the beta, the toolbar resets back to where I had it. So the solution for now is to disable the feedback extension. That way if there is a glitch (caused by extension conflicts or just temporary glitches) at least you'll retain your toolbar settings and can get your toolbar buttons back after restarting.
Alice

Post by Alice »

tmdorsey wrote:
Alice wrote:Try this:

It worked!!! Thanks so much! Glad I can use FF again. :D

Great!
Alice Wyman
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

KWierso wrote:You could also give this a shot.

I did the delete localstore.rdf procedure & so far it's working (also see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2030459&start=105). In my case, every toolbar change was resetting including the add-on bar disappearing. I do have incompatible extensions, although most have been disabled for a few version updates. And I always had the reload-stop button separation reset constantly regardless of what I put between them.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
RLSpencer

Post by RLSpencer »

FF 4.0b7 doesn't remember the collapsed status of custom toolbars from session to session. I have 3 custom toolbars, and usually keep 2 of them collapsed, yet every time I restart, they are always displayed. FF 3.6 doesn't have this behavior, as I have even more custom toolbars in it, and they always persist their collapsed state.

I have tried it in a brand new profile, and same thing... no peristence of collapsed state in custom toolbars.