No cursor, no text or HTML in message panel

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrGeorge

No cursor, no text or HTML in message panel

Post by FrGeorge »

When I try to forward or reply to a message, the message panel is blank, and there is no cursor. I can do both, and they are sent as I got them. I can also paste text (from Word) and send it--but I cannot see the text in the message panel. Also, when I try to write a new message I have to hit Write twice. If I hit it once, I get no cursor.

Is there a fix for these things?

Thanks. FrGeorge
DanRaisch

Re: No cursor, no text or HTML in message panel

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
FrGeorge

Post by FrGeorge »

Yes it does, and thanks for your reply. In working with the thing, I have found that I can double-click Write, Reply and Forward and get most of them to work (but not all). Occasionally, I can single-click, and they work. I think I can live with this situation, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled TB, and that did not help. I am running XP Pro, SP3.

Thanks a lot. George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* Is this a new installation of Thunderbird? If not, did you recently update Thunderbird?
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
FrGeorge

Post by FrGeorge »

As I said, I uninstalled and reinstalled TB, and updated it after that. I just checked and there is no newer update. It is version 3.1.6. POP e-mail. I used Avast! Antivirus, and Comodo firewall--both free programs and up-to-date. My folders are compacted at least once a day.

I think it is strange that I can usually Write, Reply and Forward by double-clicking them.

Thanks. George
FrGeorge

Post by FrGeorge »

DanRaisch - It is, apparently, working fine this morning. It's really strange to me.

I'd like to keep this open for a while and see what happens.

Let me add that it is very comforting knowing you are there to help.

Thanks. George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, and there is no problem leaving it open. Unless they become hopelessly out of date or the target for spam we don't close threads on these forums.