not working--National Weather Service and Looping radar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ronbo

not working--National Weather Service and Looping radar

Post by ronbo »

Hi--i couldn't find anything on the forum about this, and i think i did all the "try this" i thought would fix it.
I'm using FF 3.6.12, and Java Plugin 1.6.0_22--both of which are the latest and newly installed. I am using XP SP3, but my W7 Home laptop does the same thing, with an older version of FF, and i have an old toshiba laptop which works fine--I'm not sure which versions of FF and Java Plugin it has

When i go to this site: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/?wfo=otx and click on Infrared/2km/Animation, i get a 2nd window, and shortly after that I get the Java circle (and the Java icon in the system tray), and most of the time i get the 1st & 2nd fields loaded.
So far all of this is normal. But then something happens--the downloading stops, the 2nd window turns black, and if i hover over the Java icon in the sys tray--it goes away--it will go away by itself after about 30 seconds. So it seems to me, something is killing the Java precess--after it gets started.

I've done the Java verify test and it passes. I've cleared the Java temporary files, and checked the "Do Not Save them. I've looked thru my FF options and i don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,
Ron
patrickjdempsey

Re: not working--National Weather Service and Looping radar

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I tried it just now and the other links work fine, just this one appears to be broken. Either the animation data is not there or it's got the wrong link, could be a simple typo. You should use the email address at the bottom of the page for the Webmaster and alert them to the situation.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Thanks for the reply Pat. I can't get any of the Animation links to work on this page, on none of my puters now. My Toshiba worked last nite but not now.

One VERY important thing i forgot to mention---They ALL work for me with MS IE8.

I will email the Webmaster--in case they changed something.

Ron
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

2km infrared animation works for me.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The looping radar will work if you click on this http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Yes guys---i expect it would work with your FF. I do not believe there is anything wrong with the site since it works fine with my MS IE8. I think there is something with either my FF, the settings in FF, or perhaps Java which keeps Java from downloading the segments of the loop. What could it be is the question.

As i mentioned before--When i click on the 2k/Anaimation, i get a 2nd window--not a new Tab but a new window. I see the Java circle, when it stops i see Java.com faintly in the center. Then the screen goes black, and if i hover my mouse over the Java icon in the systray, it goes away at the same time the screen goes black. So, I think, Java is getting killed by something.

LoudNoise--yes that loop works for me, and has always worked. I don't think it is Java tho---since i don't see the Java icon in the SysTray.

Ron
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

If you look in task manager's processes tab while loading that animation, do you see plugin-container.exe disappear when the screen goes black?
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

KW, thanks for the reply. plugin-container.exe is running before, during and after--so no it does not disappear. Java.exe however does appear when the new window opens, and it goes away just after the new window (1/4 my monitor) goes black, but the Java icon is still in systray and stays there awhile, unless i hover over it and then it disappears.

Ron
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

ronbo wrote:KW, thanks for the reply. plugin-container.exe is running before, during and after--so no it does not disappear. Java.exe however does appear when the new window opens, and it goes away just after the new window (1/4 my monitor) goes black, but the Java icon is still in systray and stays there awhile, unless i hover over it and then it disappears.

Ron

I'm thinking that in 3.6.12 that Java does not use the plugin-container as its blacklisted off in this version, but is 'on' in what will be 4.0

Could you try:
Enter about:config
Look for: dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;true toggle to 'false' and restart the browser
Now try the site...

I'm using trunk/test builds as KW is, and the site works for me as well.
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Littlemutt--no joy. It was set to default, which was false. I toggled it to true, and restarted FF. Now i still get the Java circle, and in the center a faint Java.com, no black window--it just stays white. the Java.com disappears and the systray Java icon disappears. FF seem extremely slow with that change.

Tomorrow i'll do a System Restore to a month ago to see what happens. When all else fails--i can always use MS IE8, which works :)

Ron
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@ronbo - You're having a similar condition to what I had a week or so ago. I hit my weather icon, which normally picks up from the noaa ip and instead I got an akamai server giving me old data. I noticed this condition seems to be with something NOAA is in the process of doing. You may want to just try and go direct to NOAA and then picking your area. I also noticed that when clicking on the map with JavaScript on it had the same redirect to s7.addthis.com.edgekey.net. (184.84.0.0 - 184.87.255.255) which is identified as akamai process. This seems to be the pinch in the hose.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Really ! :-k So why does the OP's link work here (& on the 30th) with 4.0b7 & 3.6.12 on XP and Ubuntu?

@ronbo, long shot, but go to the Java Control Panel/Advanced/Java Plug-in and uncheck 'Enable the next -generation Java Plug-in', restart FF and see if that makes a difference.You could also try Advanced/Miscellaneous/uncheck 'Java Quick Starter' .(make sure it's enabled in FF Addons/Plugins, if it's there, before doing that)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@mightyglydd and ronbo - The redirect to akamai servers could also be the result of ronbo's ISP redirecting to their own Akamai server setup.
It's like when I use the BBC livefeed link. Some of the current news information comes directly from the BBC but some of the pictorial content comes from the Akamai servers either at Integra or from the former MCI. I probably should have added that but the map is identified on my system as Akamai provided on the 184 ip range I noted.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I came back to work today, where we have 3.6.12 running on XP SP3, and I can report that the NOAA site WFM.

Using Java 6.0 U22
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Hi--just an update. I'm the OP. As it turns out---It is a problem with Ad Block Plus, an Add-on to FF. I've been using the Extension for years to block stuff like animated gif's, those Add This tool bars, etc. One of the automatic Updates must have changed something. Once i uninstalled it, it worked fine.

I had it enabled on the main page, but the page which has the various Satellite images i had it disabled. I'd bet either in the engine, or the filters, something was changed to include the java popup. But it isn't that it blocks it completely---sometimes i get to 50% (displayed in the bottom left of the new window) of the images downloaded before it is killed.

The funny thing, i had to uninstall it---NOT disable it--to get the animated satellite to work.

I had created a new FF profile, and ran that--and it worked fine, so like a good troubleshooter, i started adding extensions, settings etc until i got the error.
I could have done the same thing i guess by using the default Profile and uninstalling extensions.....

I'm gonna reinstall Ad Block Plus and use MSIE8 to view the animated images.

Thanks for the suggestions and i hope these posts help other folks,
Ron
Ron