Non-tips in the tips thread

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aconbere

Post by aconbere »

hehe... new users, try reading my beginners guide (see my sig)... it has a ton of info and is easy to navigate.

Anders
i5xswipe

Post by i5xswipe »

oh wow mouse3 actually has a use... and it makes tab browsing even more of a joy, thank everyone!
Mãg1©o

Post by Mãg1©o »

wow i discovered most of these but found out something new, firefox does truly make browsingthe smoothest less hassle possible.
GREAT!
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Ctrl and a number key will go to the tab indicated by the number.
(e.g. Ctrl+3 will go to the third tab from the left)
Registered Linux user #381103.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

bizarrojack wrote:"Tip: MiddleClick/MouseWheel Click on a folder will open all the bookmarks in the folder in a new Tab(s) "
WARNING: This will close out all tabs to the right of the newly opened links if you have more tabs open than there are links in the folder.<edit>

This will not happen if you have the proper settings. Just make sure that browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace is set to "false" . You can check by typing about:config in location bar.

I've edited the original post to note this
glia

TIP: External Source Code Editor for local pages

Post by glia »

[original post] 30-NOV-2004
1.-Install IEView extension. http://ieview.mozdev.org/
2.-Configure clicking Tools > Extensions > (select IEview) > Set Options
Choose your favorite HTML editor instead of Internet Explorer.

Next time, when you want to edit the source of a <u><b>local page</b></u> displayed by Firefox, right click on the body of the page and select "Display page with IE" from the context menu.

While this is not a perfect solution, make sense for me, because this is the only drawback I have found in Firefox.

With this trick, now, I am using Editplus to edit pages locally from Firefox.

As a final note, it is possible to edit displayed text in menu, by modifying <b>ieview.dtd</b> file inside <b>ieview.jar</b>. To locate that file is another story, because it is hidden several levels deep into the Document and Settings folder.

[addendum] 07-FEB-2005 -----------------------------------------------------------------
Now you can view(edit the page source with EditPlus within Firefox using one of two extensions.

1) Launchy 3.9.0 - http://gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy.html
The author of Launchy just added EditPlus as a supported viewer in this extension in the last edition.

2) ViewSourceWith 0.0.3 -
http://www.webalice.it/davide.ficano/fi ... ewith.html
This is a new extension that let's you define the program you want to
use (from within your extensions manager after install) and then it adds
"View Source with EditPlus" to your right-click context menu.
Last edited by glia on February 7th, 2005, 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

middle click on a tab (in linux firefox 1.0) doesn't close the tab.
Not sure, but it seems to load a visited page on that tab
James

Post by James »

Anonymous wrote:middle click on a tab (in linux firefox 1.0) doesn't close the tab.

Type about:config and filter for middle and set middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false

By default, this is true on Linux and false on all other OSes. If this is set to true, it will override middle-clicking tabs to close them.
True: Firefox will go to whatever is currently in your clipboard.
False: Firefox will never do the aforementioned when you middle click.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?t ... ig_Entries
http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

Sorry for getting of track as this should have been a seperate thread...
carl0ski

Post by carl0ski »

Anonymous wrote:middle click on a tab (in linux firefox 1.0) doesn't close the tab.

middle click a Tab in linux pastes into the address bar and visits what ever text is in your clip board. (google i feel lucky)
Last edited by carl0ski on December 6th, 2004, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarayewo

Post by sarayewo »

I haven't read through the whole thing, so I apologize if I`m duplicating, but here it goes.

Under your main Toolbar there is Bookmark Manager Toolbar... You can add you favorite (and often used) links here simply by dragging and dropping either an address from the addres bar, or even a link from a page.
Later, you can customize it by right-clik --> Properties.

This is a really handy way to have your most commonly visited sited just a single click away.
carl0ski

Post by carl0ski »

Change you home page

Tools>Options>Homepage'location'

to set multiple home pages (open in tabs)

www.google.com|www.mozilla.org|www.gmail.com

separate the each webpages with the | symbol
(SHIFT + \ key)
kooops

Post by kooops »

AnonEmoose wrote:
bizarrojack wrote:"Tip: MiddleClick/MouseWheel Click on a folder will open all the bookmarks in the folder in a new Tab(s) "
WARNING: This will close out all tabs to the right of the newly opened links if you have more tabs open than there are links in the folder.<edit>

This will not happen if you have the proper settings. Just make sure that browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace is set to "false" . You can check by typing about:config in location bar.

I've edited the original post to note this
zohso

Post by zohso »

To quickly highlight text, especially long text fields. Left-click once in the window where you want the selection to start; and then shift-click in the spot where you want the selection to end (selection range). *this is a lot easier than click-selection-dragging, especially where there is a lot of text to hightlight.
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

Anonymous wrote:somebody mentioned that holding control and pressing + or - will change the text size. Holding control and moving the scroll wheel up and down also changes text size.
its ctrl++ to increase text size and ctrl+- to decrease text size
Doug Weller

Re: Find as you type

Post by Doug Weller »

kmp wrote:Locate text on the current page by typing slash ("/") then the desired text.

So, type /Alice to look for the characters "Alice" on that page.

Opera does that. But I'm confused, I don't need to use slash to find something, I just start typing and the find bar at the bottom opens and starts searching.
kmp wrote:Ctrl+G ("G" follows "F" which is "Find") to "Find Again". Notice the search bar at the bottom of the window.

F3 does this also.

Doug