default theme icons?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rsx11m

Re: default theme icons?

Post by rsx11m »

couldabeen wrote:There may be some differences between XP, Vista, and Win7 default themes. Ask your friend if he changed it, or was it that way when he installed.

Exactly, Windows XP and earlier are supposed to use the Gnome-like icons whereas Vista and Windows 7 use the Aero-style icons. This is hardwired and regardless of the desktop theme employed.

Here the hack:
  1. Go into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\chrome, or C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\chrome for 64-bit versions while Thunderbird is not running.
  2. Make a copy of "classic.manifest", then
  3. open "classic.manifest" in Wordpad and edit as follow:
    • To use the Gnome-like icons (lower) on Vista and Windows 7, replace globally all 6 with 7;
    • to use the Aero-style icons (upper) on Windows 2000 and XP, replace globally all 6 with 5.
  4. Save and restart Thunderbird.
Those "osversion" rules apply one set of icons or the other, depending on the "Windows NT x.x" version (have a look at the user-agent strings). Windows XP is 5.1, Vista 6.0, and Windows 7 (strange enough) 6.1; this is how the manifest determines at start-up time which set of icons is to be loaded.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Ahhh... weird.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
esspat

Post by esspat »

not compatible.

never mind, this whole thing is dumb.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

What does "not compatible" mean? :-k

It's a simple text file, modifying it as described works for me in either direction...
esspat

Post by esspat »

ha, sorry, i was still reading stuff from page 1.

i followed your instructions and it worked!
thanks, you're a champ!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You are welcome. :-D Yes, it can be irritating sometimes that the forum splits threads over multiple pages (but on the other hand helpful for those threads approaching 100+ posts).