Confirm exit

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Firefoxforever

Confirm exit

Post by Firefoxforever »

I accidentally checked off the option to never ask again when closing firefox when multiple tabs or windows are open. How do I reset it back so Firefox confirms I want to exit the program each time please ? I use the extension Tab Utilities not sure if that matters.
TerenceJC

Re: Confirm exit

Post by TerenceJC »

On the Menubar select Tools > Options and the Options window will open.

Select Tabs on the top bar and reset your preferences.
Firefoxforever

Post by Firefoxforever »

TerenceJC wrote:On the Menubar select Tools > Options and the Options window will open.

Select Tabs on the top bar and reset your preferences.

It won't let me this is exactly what it looks like.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Opt ... panel?as=u

I see no option to reset my preferences.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

When TerenceJC posted
reset your preferences

what he was saying is that ALL of those items listed in that window are prefs... review them and changed the one you need to... in this case I would suppose that it's the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs".
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Firefoxforever

Post by Firefoxforever »

dfoulkes wrote:When TerenceJC posted
reset your preferences

what he was saying is that ALL of those items listed in that window are prefs... review them and changed the one you need to... in this case I would suppose that it's the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs".

I think everyone is misunderstanding me but not a problem.

Would like to get the confirm exit for both multiple tabs and windows. When I click on the X to close Firefox now it just automatically closes. I want it to ask me if I am sure I want to exit please.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This might not be in "about:config" anymore but it is still listed in the descriptions.

Check in "about:config" and make sure the setting for "browser. tabs. warnOnClose" is set to True(default).
KB description= True (default): The browser will prompt for confirmation when closing the browser when more than one tab is open.
False: No warnings will be given when closing the browser with more than one tab.
Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools → Options → Tabs → Warn (me) when closing multiple tabs" (Firefox 1.5 and above).

also check "browser. tabs. warnOnCloseOther" is set to True(default)
KB description= True (default): The browser will prompt for confirmation when closing all other tabs from the tab context menu ("Close Other Tabs") False: Opposite of the above

This seems to be missing in my "about:config", may have been moved to another config file.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Firefoxforever

Post by Firefoxforever »

Grumpus wrote:This might not be in "about:config" anymore but it is still listed in the descriptions.

Check in "about:config" and make sure the setting for "browser. tabs. warnOnClose" is set to True(default).
KB description= True (default): The browser will prompt for confirmation when closing the browser when more than one tab is open.
False: No warnings will be given when closing the browser with more than one tab.
Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools → Options → Tabs → Warn (me) when closing multiple tabs" (Firefox 1.5 and above).

also check "browser. tabs. warnOnCloseOther" is set to True(default)
KB description= True (default): The browser will prompt for confirmation when closing all other tabs from the tab context menu ("Close Other Tabs") False: Opposite of the above

This seems to be missing in my "about:config", may have been moved to another config file.

Thanks. browser.tabs.warnOnClose is set to True and has been.

Now browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOther, like you said, is not in about:config. Should I add it or wait ?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In addition to what Grumpus posted...
You might want to read some of the stuff on this link... according to some of it's info it seems that if you change the warning not "to warn" anymore at close Firefox changes the structure of your startup settings in Tools/Options and the General tab... check the first two settings in there to see what you have... it could be the problem.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/1 ... t-working/
Firefoxforever

Post by Firefoxforever »

dfoulkes wrote:In addition to what Grumpus posted...
You might want to read some of the stuff on this link... according to some of it's info it seems that if you change the warning not "to warn" anymore at close Firefox changes the structure of your startup settings in Tools/Options and the General tab... check the first two settings in there to see what you have... it could be the problem.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/1 ... t-working/

Well browser.warnOnQuit is set to True and browser.startup.page is set to True.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Did you check the Options settings... in the General tab? What is set for the first two lines?
Firefoxforever

Post by Firefoxforever »

dfoulkes wrote:Did you check the Options settings... in the General tab? What is set for the first two lines?

Show my windows and tabs from last time and about:blank
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

According to this quote from that link....
Note: If “Do not ask next time” is selected, clicking “Save and Quit” will set the “When Firefox starts” to “Show my windows and tabs from last time” (browser.startup.page = 3) automatically, while clicking “Quit” will uncheck the “Warn me when closing multiple tabs” option (browser.tabs.warnOnClose = false) in “Tabs” preference tab, which must be selected and ticked if you want any warning or confirmation dialog. So in order to always continuously receive a “Save and Quit” dialog, ensure that you never select or tick the check box for “Do not ask next time”.

When you clicked on that...
Firefoxforever wrote:I accidentally checked off the option to never ask again when closing firefox when multiple tabs or windows are open. How do I reset it back so Firefox confirms I want to exit the program each time please ? I use the extension Tab Utilities not sure if that matters.

it changed that "When Firefox starts" option to "Show my Windows and Tabs" because it assumes that when you stopped Firefox (without the warning) Firefox would just restart where it left off. At least that's the way I read it.
Firefoxforever

Post by Firefoxforever »

dfoulkes wrote:According to this quote from that link....
Note: If “Do not ask next time” is selected, clicking “Save and Quit” will set the “When Firefox starts” to “Show my windows and tabs from last time” (browser.startup.page = 3) automatically, while clicking “Quit” will uncheck the “Warn me when closing multiple tabs” option (browser.tabs.warnOnClose = false) in “Tabs” preference tab, which must be selected and ticked if you want any warning or confirmation dialog. So in order to always continuously receive a “Save and Quit” dialog, ensure that you never select or tick the check box for “Do not ask next time”.

When you clicked on that...
Firefoxforever wrote:I accidentally checked off the option to never ask again when closing firefox when multiple tabs or windows are open. How do I reset it back so Firefox confirms I want to exit the program each time please ? I use the extension Tab Utilities not sure if that matters.

it changed that "When Firefox starts" option to "Show my Windows and Tabs" because it assumes that when you stopped Firefox (without the warning) Firefox would just restart where it left off. At least that's the way I read it.

Yeah that is what I got from it too.

Is there anyway to set it back please ?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Back to what... what option did you have in that window before?...

My FF confirms closing and I have Blank page for that first line and NOT the Show my windows/tabs.... ... try it.

Post by Guest »

dfoulkes wrote:Back to what... what option did you have in that window before?...

My FF confirms closing and I have Blank page for that first line and NOT the Show my windows/tabs.... ... try it.

The same thing.

Back to this confirmation. Image