Experiencing crazy changes...Firefox Bookmarks!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
SendEveryone

Experiencing crazy changes...Firefox Bookmarks!

Post by SendEveryone »

I use the latest Firefox 3.6.12 with WinXP. When I save a bookmark, it dumps it down at the bottom of all my others which I keep in their own categorized folders. How can I get Firefox to ask me where to save my bookmarks?

It works, if I go into safe mode and try to save a bookmark into a folder. It just doesn’t work in normal mode.

How do I encourage (just kidding), get Firefox to ask me what folder I might want to put a bookmark in? I’ve searched through Firefox’s Options and add-ons to see if this function is being blocked or in need of being enabled somewhere, but have not found a solution. I’ve also looked for an add-on that might force the function but nothing I can find will work to solve this issue.

Can anyone help me discover a way out of this mess? :cry:
...Bring me everyone...What do you mean, everyone...EVERYONE...
Franadora

Re: Experiencing crazy changes...Firefox Bookmarks!

Post by Franadora »

When you Bookmark This Page or double click on the Star - it does not give you the "Edit this Bookmark" dialog?

If that's the problem, and you say it works in Safe Mode, then you need to review your Extensions. especially any that affect Bookmarks. Can you list those for review?
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)
SendEveryone

Post by SendEveryone »

Hey Franadora,
That is correct, it does not give me the "Edit this Bookmark" dialog in normal mode?
I was trying to avoid having to go through and disable any bookmark add-on/Extensions and all other add-on/Extensions that might isolate the one causing the problem, I was hoping some one could give me an easy answer. As far as what bookmark add-on/Extensions I have. They are:
1. All-in-One Sidebar
2. Bookmark Duplicate Detector
3. Manage Folders
4. MyBookmarks - I didn't know this was their, I will look at it? Might be the culprit?
5. SortPlaces
I believe I got "MyBookmarks" Add-On from AddonFox - and add on that gives you a large boundle of Add-On's to choose from - I have found "AddonFox" to be useful but I guess you need to be careful what you let it add for you. If you let it add a bunch of Add-On's at will, all at one time, you will need to go in and resolve Problems, like the problem I'm facing. ](*,)
SendEveryone

Post by SendEveryone »

Well "MyBookmarks" Add-On and the others listed were not the culprit? i disabled them all, restarted Firefox and My problem was still there. #-o

Short of going through all of my Add-On's and checking them all out - I guess I'm in for a long hall, unless any one has a better idea. ](*,)
Franadora

Post by Franadora »

Looking at another person's issues below - they are having problems with McAffee's site advisor.
try also the instructions viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2048801
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

These extension have been known to cause that issue:
McAfee Site Advisor
Firesheep
Blacksheep

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You should get an "Edit this bookmark" window. There are three rows of data. There's a button to the far right of the middle row, to the right of "Folder". Click it. If that doesn't work, you have an extension or some other modification that is interfering.
SendEveryone

Post by SendEveryone »

Thanks the-edmeister, McAfee Site Advisor is the culprit, I wouldn't have guessed :shock:? Now if anyone knows a fix... :D
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

SendEveryone wrote:Thanks the-edmeister, McAfee Site Advisor is the culprit, I wouldn't have guessed :shock:? Now if anyone knows a fix... :D

Disable the extension that causes numerous problems and slows down startup significantly and offers no real good features?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

SendEveryone wrote:Thanks the-edmeister, McAfee Site Advisor is the culprit, I wouldn't have guessed :shock:? Now if anyone knows a fix... :D

Contact McAfee to find out when they're going to have a fix available.

IMHO, that SiteAdvisor extension isn't even needed. It basically duplicates the Web Forgery / Anti-Phishing features that are already in Firefox; it does add a few little features that aren't really necessary, like silly little rating icons on search pages.
That SiteAdvisor extension is known for being problematic in Firefox, since before McAfee even bought that operation.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
SendEveryone

Incompatible Viruses, new Firefox and McAfee’s Site Advisor

Post by SendEveryone »

Good one the-edmeister, I agree – dump McAfee’s Site Advisor, now! :shock:
Thanks for the problematic extensions link! :biggrin:

Although, I wonder if Firefox isn’t the real culprit – I only ask – I want to be fair – you know - incompatibility issues? :shock:

KWierso, At the suggestion of Franadora and the-edmeister I’ve removed McAfee’s Site Advisor, but what I intended by “if anyone knows a fix”, I was referring to McAfee’s Site Advisor it’s self. But your statement above needs some clarifications also. You say “Disable the extension... [I would say uninstall it - from windows Add or Remove Program]...causes numerous problems... [I’m assuming you mean in Firefox] ...slows down startup significantly... [I’m assuming you mean of Firefox] ... and offers no real good features... [I’m assuming you mean - doesn’t really do much except warn you that a Website may perhaps contain material with Virus’s]. #-o

Beyond its limitations, I wonder if you or anyone else could elaborate more about the extensions “...numerous problems...” I ask because upon removing McAfee Site Advisor, my computer, Mozilla Firefox and even that IE8 seem a great deal happier. :D

From what I’ve found beyond the Firefox/McAfee Site Advisor bookmark issue, after using McAfee’s Site Advisor for at least a year, the extension is not really any good. the-edmeister suggested I Contact McAfee to find out when they're going to have a fix available [I think we all should]. :sleeping:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/
http://www.siteadvisor.com/uninstall.ht ... =3.3.0.160

McAfee Site Advisor could do what any good virus program does, catch the virus & remove it, then you move on, not simply warn you that it found bad things on a particular site – aren’t virus’s just you know – an incompatibility issue anyway? :-k

Perhaps if all you want to be is to be warned and have a compatible review of a bad site then maybe this is for you:
http://www.browserdefender.com/
It's not on the problematic extensions list...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

You can blame Firefox if you want, because they do things a little differently than IE does. The basic fact is that Firefox works fine until an unnecessary extension is there. That particular SiteAdvisor extension was causing problems with Firefox long before McAfee acquired it from the original developer.

As far as - http://www.browserdefender.com/ - what protection does that Toolbar provide that isn't already built into Firefox?
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ph ... rotection/
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-an-attack.html
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html

Ed