[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
elfurbe

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel

Post by elfurbe »

So I enabled the update packaging on the 3.6.8 stable build which was a mistake. It will now update you to the newest 3.6.x branch nightly build for your architecture rather than to the newest stable build for your architecture. I'm working on a fix there, but for the moment, you can go to about:config and empty the app.update.url.override variable which will keep you from updating.

My bad.
davheyde

Post by davheyde »

Hi elfurbe, first of all, let me say thank you! I've been using your builds of Firefox on my G4 iMac for over a year now and can say they're by far the fastest browsers I can find for this old machine. However, I've read that Mozilla has dropped support for PowerPC on the newest betas of 4.0, and indeed your 4.0 builds will not run on my machine. Can you point me to some older builds of 4.0 that will work for me?
MacTed

Post by MacTed »

Just in case you haven't noticed this, elfurbe... Builds seem to have died on Aug 29.
steviant

Post by steviant »

The builds stopped on Aug 29 again... I doubt anyone's listening, but what have I go to lose?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Yeah, I just noticed a day or two ago. We did a generator test at the office and it shut my G5 off. Such is life. Back in business now.
MacTed

Post by MacTed »

Stalled again, since the 16th...

And I'm curious about the lack of 4.x builds for Intel. Not that I'm currently needing them, just wondering what's up with their lack. :-)

Ted
DriftSK

Post by DriftSK »

To whom it may concern: builds for PPC 7450 started working again somewhere in between 4.0b6 and 4.0b7, supposedly because developers fixed the (well known) issue that caused the crash on PPC. This means you CAN actually use 4.0b7 (which I am doing, as I'm typing this post right now :) )

On the other side, something went wrong AGAIN on September, 30th: all PPC builds from that day onwards are broken as they only show a blank frame with title bar and no content at all. I guess this is caused by some other nasty PPC-related glitch that didn't affect x86 builds... and I'm afraid this means we're out in the cold again because no official developer will patch this, as the Foundation officially dropped PPC support in the meantime.

The good news: binaries built on September, 29th are working fine... at least the 7450 package I'm running on my Mini G4. Too bad that fell a few days short the "unofficial" Beta 7 freeze. I'd have appreciated a somewhat stable release.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Sorry guys. Looks like my G5 was off again. I do not know why. I've turned it back on, should see new builds tomorrow.
MonkeyBoy

Post by MonkeyBoy »

Thanks for restarting the build farm (well, basically :) ).

In it's absence though I got motivated and started building my own nightlies. Only problem is that I'm stymied putting together a .mozconfig that will allow a G4/G5 to create an optimized Intel binary under 10.5. All the official documentation seems to have been changed to assume I'll be running 10.6 if I'm building an Intel binary. Any chance you could post your Intel .mozconfig here elfurbe? Apologies if you've posted it before, I spent some time scanning the build threads but given the number of pages I might've missed it.

Thanks again for building/hosting these things, I've pointed tons of people to furbism over the years.

Edit: Oh, and the .mozconfig for 3.6 since the 4.0 is offlimits for PPC, at least for the time being, since this is just for fun I'm not interested in sucking down both 1.9.x and 2.0 branches.

Edit #2: Well hot damn, I hit upon the magic combination of error messages to plug into Google and found what I needed. Or at least it got me further than before, the stumbling block then was my own stupidity (stripped x86 from /Developer/SDK, ooops) but at least that was easy to resolve.
MacTed

Post by MacTed »

hola, elfurbe --

It seems your G5 may have a bad power supply ... or something. Maybe it's got a rogue periodic shutdown setting in Energy Saver? (no builds for a week again...)
Whizbang

Post by Whizbang »

Hey there elfurbe, thanks for these builds. It looks like your computer crashed again, though.
MacTed

Post by MacTed »

I'm totally jonesing for an updated build! (two weeks since the last round...)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

MacTed wrote:I'm totally jonesing for an updated build! (two weeks since the last round...)

Try the TenFourFox Beta 9 builds for PPC (has a working nanojit for G3 and G4 Macs):
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Phil
yan.kun0567

Post by yan.kun0567 »

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask, I will just give it a go. This morning I tried to install the G4 7450 optimized Version of 3.6.13 on my PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 Ghz (running 10.4.11) and it has run fine for about a minute but than crashed and couldn't be opened again. The system reported that the symbol NSURLHandler couldn't be found. Does anybody have a clue, what this could mean? I tried to visit this site:
http://www.f1total.com
floodo1

Post by floodo1 »

no new intel builds? last one is from nearly 2 weeks ago and for firefox4 is beta11pre...meanwhile firefox has released official beta 11 :(