Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Feedback

Post by Feedback »

No support for the Adress Book of Mac OS X :-( And we can't delete message on the server with a pop-up menu like Entourage or Mail :-(
ZONE22.CH Petit coin de web pour les amateurs de sportives.
LeoKesler

Post by LeoKesler »

Hi,

bug: Folder is being processed

This bug is closed but not fixed : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260447
Last edited by LeoKesler on December 2nd, 2004, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
traverse

Re: TB 1.0 RC1 Now Available

Post by traverse »

A stubborn longterm user of Netscape 4.8 (with reluctant IE backup), I was switched to FF 1.0 and TB 0.9 recently. Although the FF is quite good functionally (where is the 'SEND PAGE' though ?) if not very sophisticated in graphic design, the TB 0.9 although seemingly solid, is VERY CRUDE in comparison with N4.8 Messenger, in function and graphic design. Label color coding of the message importance seems to be straight from the Dept of Homeland Security and the duct tape storage - and frivolous, since such a BASIC item as RETURN RECEIPTS are NOT in working condition (bug # 264854 ). I, and many others, cannot operate without them ! N 4.8 had two levels.. Has this been fixed in RC1?

The LACK of true FONT SIZING in message composing (8, ..12, 14, etc..), and limited color scale, is a total detriment for professional and personal use - who wants to/ can work with sloppy 'smaller'/ 'bigger ' fonts in today's professional/ corporate environment, which is crucial for the FF/ TB real presence and speedy dethroning of the evil (and overstuffed) ruling ones ?! Has this been adressed in RC1 ?

The erroneous and non-consistent TB 0.9 new message announcement is even more annoying with the TB 0.9 crudest /ridiculous 'seek'n'hide' ugly panelette. How about bringing back the exact Netscape's 4.8 classy and sassy, SIMPLE and elegant, PERFECTLY sized audio/ iridescent GREEN ARROW => KISS!! - which stays ON in the system tray until messages are downloaded ? I don't particularly care how many new messages are there: 1 or 350 - each one is equally important.

Are there any SCREENSHOTS of this new release available - good to see before the upgrade will be done - the TB 0.9 icons are pretty bad, as ugly as the old Prodigy, or non-AOL/ non-compuserve used to be in the early 90-ties. The THEMES are still far in the woods - none available for TB ?

I am very glad the NETSCAPE spirit (as before the AOL damage) is coming back - FF will be a true blockbuster ONLY in combo with the TB, ONLY if TB will advance to a much higher level, both functionally and in graphic design. Also, as long as these cannot really be reliably installed by non-tech users, a massive market totally fed up with evil ones is non existing for both FF/ TB.
THANKS to all who labor on these around the world, and hopefully will keep on, to take the NET back from the sneaky evil empire!! Then, the White House, asap ..
mjc

Post by mjc »

sjeeva wrote:I upgraded and now I cannot access my old data. T-Bird simply hangs with on GUI, except a running process.

Try deleting the thunderbird program directory (e.g., C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird) and then run the installer again. Your data (in c:\Documents and Settings\) should remain unchanged. (This all assumes you're running Windows).

I have had this happen in the past. Deleting the program directory always fixed it.

- Mike
jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

ok, I appreciate the effort in Thunderbird as I (and many friends) use it as our mail clients and think it's great. However SLOW DOWN. It really seems like you're rushing version numbers just to get a 1.0 release but there are a number of outstanding bugs left and you just had a new major feature land (Search Folders) without a lot of time to test them before a 1.0 release.

We don't need to rush things, Thunderbird is comming along nicly but still needs some work and I woudl rather a 1.0 release be done right and work great then have it have a bunch of stuff in need of improvment since the press will pick up on 1.0 and I'd rather them review a great piece of sometware then a good one.
Jeff Bacon
mjc

Post by mjc »

Hey, traverse, you're being a little harsh.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178820 suggests that the return receipt issue has been fixed in TB.

Personally, in our corporate environment, we disable return receipts and view all messages as black monospace text. The more colorful a message, the spammier it is, in my experience.

The TB user interface looks nice and crisp to me.

Just my 2 cents.

- Mike
rejoice

Post by rejoice »

Some very basic things such as mail notification are not working quite right yet (at least for me), shouldn't this be looked at before 1.0final?

See Bug 260245.
canadianwriterman

This is great

Post by canadianwriterman »

Works well with initial usage. Congratulations! Just wondering if there will be an "add signature" feature, or have I missed it?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Tools>Account Settings

Select the name of an account, and you get Signature options.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
jimstrickland

Post by jimstrickland »

Feedback wrote:No support for the Adress Book of Mac OS X :-( And we can't delete message on the server with a pop-up menu like Entourage or Mail :-(

I agree about support for the MacOS X Address Book. I think it is actively being worked on, with an actual patch floating around somehere. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that this feature will NOT be ready for integration with Thunderbird 1.0. Too bad!

I wish someone would work on adding Palm and PocketPC support for the MacOS X Thunderbird.
andrea.m

Post by andrea.m »

Is this going to be fixed?
65794 Some attachments get Content-Disposition: inline (incorrect)

The problem is that attached text files are received inline by other clients; Attachments should be attached!
arandor

Post by arandor »

I see the inability to remember the sort order of saved searches is still here. Is this a "feature" or a bug? If it's a bug, which I hope it is, is it a target for 1.0 final?
andrea.m

Post by andrea.m »

Gruoup by sort by date descending still has the dates ascending within the groups: only the groups are descending.
lifeisgreat

PDA support

Post by lifeisgreat »

Does the new version support PDA sych?
traverse

Re: NON-working RETURN RECEIPTS, etc..

Post by traverse »

mjc wrote:Hey, traverse, you're being a little harsh.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178820 suggests that the return receipt issue has been fixed in TB.

Personally, in our corporate environment, we disable return receipts and view all messages as black monospace text. The more colorful a message, the spammier it is, in my experience.

The TB user interface looks nice and crisp to me.

Just my 2 cents.

- Mike

Mike - either I wasn't clear enough, or, you are rushed with your 2 cents:

I have ASKED did they fix it - as of today the TB 0.9 does NOT have the working Return Receipts even within the SAME domain: regardless of the domain, servers, end mail client, etc, The Netscape 4.8 (mozilla appeared there first, before the MS IE disaster, or AOL damage..) had first level issuing the receipt to the sender upon the message delivery to the addressee DOMAIN/ their particular address, isssued auto by their server; the second - a confirmation from the particular addressee/person that the message had been opened/read, should they chose to confiim the message receipt (some were more obliged by their position/ function to do so, than the others).

It's YOUR corp choice to disable receipts - I am involved with a highly regulated environment, where the process TRAIL is a part of the strict regulatory process. Paper trail is dead, the E-trail had to fill in.. And, in my private experience, I've learnt through the (lack of) receipts about my provider's malfunctioning services, and alerted them about it, more than once.

As to the colors, I thought I was clear that the ridiculous TB 0.9 color coding is for laughs - just as the Dept of Homeland Security's warnings in code orange or whatever (I used to work in the WTC for ~ 15 yrs, so probably have sharper focus on these....). I personally also prefer the black/white solamente, BUT it has NOTHING to do with the Return Receipts.
This country is supposed to be about CHOICE, not one entity DICTATING to another how, what,when, etc.. So, if your corp does not want the certain function within the E-services, it's up to you guys.. However, if the TB is to become smthg in dethroning the evil ones, it better be GOOD - including the WORKING functions that are a part of it. All's in the improvement, not praising the half-baked stuff.. FF is pretty good, 7 million downloads within 2 weeks, or close to - TB can be, too.. FF IS spreading like fire - word of mouth , or, the e-mouth that it IS good (where's the 'send page ' ??)..

Had I known the TB receipts don't work, the fonts CANNOT be sized, I would have never agreed to be saddled with the TB 0.9 until all of these are fixed, and the new message notification, filters, and various other bugs - I am a sophisticated user in hi-tech fields, who moved from mainframes to CRTs, then laptop/ desktop combos: my job is to USE what guys like you prepare as tools for us, not to struggle to justify why the trail I HAVE to provide the traceable process with, cannot be delivered ...

As to the 'crisp' - did you EVER work with Netscape 4.8 Communicator ? Do you know what am I talking about citing the coolest 'iridescent green arrow' ? Tastes can vary, but the current cartoonish TB still has a way to go to be 'crisp' - and, it should, the way it goes..
The evil ones will not be put to halt with half-baked stuff - with FF and TB it's the first chance in many years to stop/ slow down the mediocre and totalitarian evil ones.. That's why the good stuff should NOT be rushed, but done RIGHT - see other posts here..