[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zegames

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 0.9.9.9 - light but featureful

Post by zegames »

What's the function of tab context menu "Merge all Windows"? Tried here and all my tabs gone to new window each one... possible bug? I thought the windows were to be unified.

Thanks
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

zegames wrote:What's the function of tab context menu "Merge all Windows"? Tried here and all my tabs gone to new window each one... possible bug? I thought the windows were to be unified.

Possible conflict. Please figure it out. Are you using it for the first time?
zegames

Post by zegames »

Yes, my first time. I was a happy TMP user for years...

Tried a new profile with only Tab Utilities installed, you are right, its some conflict with my extension. As I have too many extensions 50+, I will back to use TMP.

Thank anyway!

cya
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Defenestration wrote:Clean profile with only Tab Utilities 1.0pre10. To reproduce,

1) Load up three tabs, then close two of them.
2) Right-click on the tab bar area and select Recently Closed Tabs->Restore All Tabs
3) Right-click on the tab bar area
-- context menu will not be displayed
4) Right click on the browser window (not the tab bar area) to bring up a context menu
5) Right-click on the tab bar area
-- context menu will be displayed

Confirmed, thanks. It seems to appear only in Fx 3.6. In Fx4 it works well.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

FilterJoe wrote:I just discovered Tab Utilities and I think it's great...
So far, I haven not noticed any difference in behavior from Phantom tabs in Chrome 5.

I may switch back to Firefox for this reason. I suspect there are others who would switch back to Firefox for this one feature, given the intensity of disappointment with the loss of the Phantom tabs...

One suggestions: In the description for Tab Utilities, include a line that says:
"Pinned Tab behavior is similar to the Phantom Tab behavior in the Chrome 5 browser"
This would make it much easier for Phantom Tab enthusiasts to find this extension. I just did my part to publicize Tab Utilities, by updating my two posts that discuss Phantom Tabs:...

Thanks for your comment and publicity. TU has provided so many features that I'm not sure which one I should put emphasis on.

FilterJoe wrote:The only unfortunate thing is that Firefox 3.6.x is a lot slower than Chrome. It takes about 10 seconds for my unloaded, pinned Gmail tab to load on Firefox, compared to less than 2 seconds on Chrome 8. Firefox 4 is supposed to be much faster so I'm hoping the speed difference will become negligible.

Although this feature is convenient, it may be disappearing in Firefox 4, as Firefox 4 has removed the convenience to create a 2nd bookmarks bar. I'm not sure whether I could figure out some way to bring it back before the final Firefox 4 release.
Post feature requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com.
Post bug reports to https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/issues.
AlexVallat

Bug report: Focus new tabs from Bookmarks/History is inverte

Post by AlexVallat »

In Tab Utilities Lite 0.9.9.9.2 under Firefox 4.0b8

Strangely, unlike the other options under "Focus new tabs from", the "Bookmarks/History" logic appears to be inverted. If the box is checked, new tabs from bookmarks and history open in the background. If unchecked, they open in the foreground.
ithinc

Re: Bug report: Focus new tabs from Bookmarks/History is inv

Post by ithinc »

AlexVallat wrote:In Tab Utilities Lite 0.9.9.9.2 under Firefox 4.0b8

Strangely, unlike the other options under "Focus new tabs from", the "Bookmarks/History" logic appears to be inverted. If the box is checked, new tabs from bookmarks and history open in the background. If unchecked, they open in the foreground.

Probably it's a conflict with some other extension. Please figure it out. Try from a new clean profile.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Version 1.0pre11 is released.

Main changes:
1/ Improved: Don't switch to hidden tabs when closing current tab
2/ Improved customizable context menuitems [extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra*]
3/ Added customizable shortcut keys [extensions.tabutils.shortcut.key_extra*]
4/ Renamed "extensions.tabutils.scripts.*.onclick" options to "extensions.tabutils.button.*.onclick"
5/ Removed Restart Tab/Restart All Tabs menuitems, provided by customizable menuitems
6/ Removed Ctrl+Shift+C shortcut key, provided by customizable shortcut keys

Defenestration wrote:After restoring All recently closed tabs (in one go), the tab context menu does not work/display until after I right-click in the browser window itself to bring up the page context menu. However, there are no such problems after restoring a single closed tab.

This should have been fixed by version 1.0pre11.
Post feature requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com.
Post bug reports to https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/issues.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

ithinc wrote:
AlexVallat wrote:In Tab Utilities Lite 0.9.9.9.2 under Firefox 4.0b8

Probably it's a conflict with some other extension. Please figure it out. Try from a new clean profile.

I think it might be a conflict with the full version of tab utilities, which I tried, but then uninstalled to try the lite version. The default behaviour to set middle click of bookmarks to "Invert selection" must have still been taking effect somehow. Installing the full version (1.0pre11), and setting the middle click behaviour to "default" instead of "invert selection" makes it work properly for bookmarks.

It still doesn't work right for session history, though. If I right click the back or forward button, then middle click on one of the entries in the history, it always appears foreground, never background - I can't find any way of stopping this, even on a completely clean profile.

Also, while I was setting up the mouse actions, I noticed a bug that the L-Click settings for On current tab and On tab bar can't be changed through the UI. Changing them doesn't enable the Apply button, doesn't stick when you change to other tabs in the settings UI, and doesn't apply when you click OK. The settings can be changed through about:config, though.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

AlexVallat wrote:I think it might be a conflict with the full version of tab utilities, which I tried, but then uninstalled to try the lite version. The default behaviour to set middle click of bookmarks to "Invert selection" must have still been taking effect somehow. Installing the full version (1.0pre11), and setting the middle click behaviour to "default" instead of "invert selection" makes it work properly for bookmarks.

Yes, there is a hidden option "extensions.tabutils.middleClickBookmarks" to control the middle click behavior, which is the same in both the lite and full versions. You didn't mention middle click in the earlier post.

AlexVallat wrote:It still doesn't work right for session history, though. If I right click the back or forward button, then middle click on one of the entries in the history, it always appears foreground, never background - I can't find any way of stopping this, even on a completely clean profile.

This is a regression from Firefox 3.6. Uncheck "Focus new tabs from: Duplicate Tab" would work. Not intended?

AlexVallat wrote:Also, while I was setting up the mouse actions, I noticed a bug that the L-Click settings for On current tab and On tab bar can't be changed through the UI. Changing them doesn't enable the Apply button, doesn't stick when you change to other tabs in the settings UI, and doesn't apply when you click OK. The settings can be changed through about:config, though.

This is a regression from TU 1.0pre10, thanks for your report. It will be fixed in next version.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

ithinc wrote:You didn't mention middle click in the earlier post.
Sorry, my mistake - I should of course have included that detail! This is now resolved, for me.

ithinc wrote:Uncheck "Focus new tabs from: Duplicate Tab" would work. Not intended?
That does the trick, thanks! I'd never have guessed Duplicate Tab was the controlled by the same thing as Session History.
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

ithinc wrote:Version 1.0pre11 is released.

Main changes:
3/ Added customizable shortcut keys [extensions.tabutils.shortcut.key_extra*]

Some advantage of to use it for shorcuts related to tabs comparing with keyconfig? If not, I don't see it as the scope of TU, and I think that could to be better simply to support more openly keyconfig, lightening of this to TU :-"

ithinc wrote:Main changes:
2/ Improved customizable context menuitems [extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra*]

A question: If I create manually the preferences extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra4.* (or 5, ..., 9), their will work flawless? I tested a bit, it looks working.

EDIT: request: possibility of to let show customizable context menuitems -only- for selected tabs, expanding *.context_extraX.multiselected (By example, using 3 values: no, yes, only). I prefer to maintain the context menu of tabs light, and some menuitems only interest me for more of one tab, as 'Close tab', 'Bookmark this page', or 'Copy URL'. For one tab, I prefer other faster method (middle-click for to close, etc)

ithinc wrote:
K4RBQT99 wrote:It happens with Fx4 too. It's related to the system theme (Clearlooks, and others too). With a few themes more compact, this don't happen. I would think that is a system issue, but It's the first time that I see this with my actual theme (it didn't happen with previous versions of TU), so... i don't sure

Usually the preference window is resized automatically according to the content. I'm not sure what happens on Linux. Maybe it's a Firefox bug. Does the window resize when you switch from the Mouse tab to others? Resize each time from or to the Mouse tab?

I ended changing lightly the system font size and the resolution (PPP), and the problem is gone. So, system related, i guess ](*,)
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

K4RBQT99 wrote:Some advantage of to use it for shorcuts related to tabs comparing with keyconfig? If not, I don't see it as the scope of TU, and I think that could to be better simply to support more openly keyconfig, lightening of this to TU :-"

It's just for a convenience. As it is like a twin of customizable menuitems, it doesn't take much coding. It doesn't interfere with keyconfig. You can take keyconfig as a GUI editor.

K4RBQT99 wrote:A question: If I create manually the preferences extensions.tabutils.menu.context_extra4.* (or 5, ..., 9), their will work flawless? I tested a bit, it looks working.

Yes, they work. Even extensions.tabutils.menu.* will work. See extensions.tabutils.menu.context_restartAllTabs for an example. And you can also change some attributes of the menuitems not provided by TU. For example, if you want the New Tab item to display for multiple selected tabs, just create "extensions.tabutils.menu.context_newTab.multiselected" with the value "true".

K4RBQT99 wrote:EDIT: request: possibility of to let show customizable context menuitems -only- for selected tabs, expanding *.context_extraX.multiselected (By example, using 3 values: no, yes, only). I prefer to maintain the context menu of tabs light, and some menuitems only interest me for more of one tab, as 'Close tab', 'Bookmark this page', or 'Copy URL'. For one tab, I prefer other faster method (middle-click for to close, etc)

OK, I see. Then it will be a string with three values: "false", "true", and "any".
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

AlexVallat wrote:
ithinc wrote:Uncheck "Focus new tabs from: Duplicate Tab" would work. Not intended?
That does the trick, thanks! I'd never have guessed Duplicate Tab was the controlled by the same thing as Session History.

It is due to some code change in Fx4. Will be fixed.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Example for customizable context menuitem in TU 1.0pre11

Save the following code as TU_pasteAndGo.txt file. Open TU Options, click "Settings" and select "Import...", select TU_pasteAndGo.txt file, click "Apply" or "OK". Now the "Paste and Go" item has been added in the tab context menu. You can also create these preferences in about:config manually.

Code: Select all

pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_pasteAndGo", true);
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_pasteAndGo.label", "Paste and Go");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_pasteAndGo.accesskey", "P");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_pasteAndGo.oncommand", "gBrowser.loadURLFromClipboard(gBrowser.mContextTab);");