Firefox 4 status bar

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
lithopsian

Re: Firefox 4 status bar

Post by lithopsian »

Can't stand a few non-workings add-ons? Then don't use beta software!

As for 280MB of memory for one window. I don't know what you have in that window, but I can run Firefox quite happily on a machine that doesn't have 280MB of available memory (without using swap). top (in Linux) usually reports over 300MB of virtual memory for my Firefox, but that isn't how much RAM it has actually taken up, more like a third of that. Make sure you are comparing apples with apples when you come up with these numbers. Memory comparisons are very difficult and everyone abuses them, Google Chrome included. The most useful measure in the real world may well be how much RAM you had before you ran Firefox vs how much you have left when it is running, although that will be somewhat different for every person on every machine. That said, Firefox does use more memory than the other big browsers for that first empty window, but if you have more than a handful of tabs then in my experience Chrome uses more memory than Firefox. 90% of the fashion for bashing Firefox over its memory use is just that; fashion. Much of the rest is sue to having a thousand add-ons, or perhaps just a few bad ones.

The other thing to consider is whether that memory is being used for something good. Firefox has a fairly memory-intensive feature that retains the last few pages on your back button (or forward button) fully parsed and rendered so you can go back to them instantly, whereas most (all?) other browsers have to reload and re-render the whole thing again even if you were only there 5 seconds ago. Personally I find this feature very useful (and dislike the increasing number of lazy web developers who prevent it working in the paranoid fear that the web page might have changed in the 5 seconds since I was last there), and of course there is always the options to turn it off and save the memory. It is already adaptive and increases or reduces the amount of memory used based on the available memory on your machine, but perhaps you'd rather that memory weas just left idle and have Firefox run more slowly?
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Hi, with reference to Firefox 4 beta 8, I want to know if I can adjust the font color of the information that appears in the address bar when a link is mouse-overed. Currently, it is an unobtrusive light gray but since I need high contrast I want it more obvious. I understand this is done in userChrome.css. I've got this far:
#urlbar { font-size:16px !important; font-weight:bold !important; color:black !important; }
Any help will be most appreciated. I don't want to go the add-on bar route.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

vasa1 wrote:Hi, with reference to Firefox 4 beta 8, I want to know if I can adjust the font color of the information that appears in the address bar when a link is mouse-overed. Currently, it is an unobtrusive light gray but since I need high contrast I want it more obvious. I understand this is done in userChrome.css. I've got this far:
#urlbar { font-size:16px !important; font-weight:bold !important; color:black !important; }
Any help will be most appreciated. I don't want to go the add-on bar route.

Code: Select all

.urlbar-over-link-host-label, 
.urlbar-over-link-path-label {
   color: red !important;
}

Where it says red change to black, green , blue, yellow or whatever color you want.
You may want to also read this thread topic: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1992815&p=9943847&hilit=+preview#p9943847
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

rob64rock, brilliant and thank You very much!
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Awesome! I prefer that much more than the default. Thanks rob64rock and, also, thanks, vasa1, for the idea! :)
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

Status bar loading progress bar provides something twirling icon in tab does not provide, visible indication page is actually doing something other than just being a hung download.

Status bar is collectively universal on any window, handy to have at the bottom, gives indication that the browser is resized to fit window versus docked to the desktop.

Sizing grip very handy to grab and resize browser quickly without having to be a mousing acrobat and missing the edge of the window, causing something underneath the browser window to become active and blowing your mind.

Too many addons is one too many addons.

Where can I go to lodge this?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The resizer is there by default for Windows 2000/XP users. For detailed information on problematic tabs, open the Web Console via the Tools menu, or Appmenu > Developer Tools > Web Console. You can untick everything except Network and then Refresh the page to see any errors.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

D.Dancer wrote:Status bar loading progress bar provides something twirling icon in tab does not provide, visible indication page is actually doing something other than just being a hung download.

Status bar is collectively universal on any window, handy to have at the bottom, gives indication that the browser is resized to fit window versus docked to the desktop.

Sizing grip very handy to grab and resize browser quickly without having to be a mousing acrobat and missing the edge of the window, causing something underneath the browser window to become active and blowing your mind.

Too many addons is one too many addons.

Where can I go to lodge this?

If you having problems with the window resizer gripper being in the wrong place(not on far right on the Add-on bar in a non-maximized(Restore) window).
Right click Tab bar select Customize..., then select button "Restore Default Set".

If you want to it hide always use this CSS:

Code: Select all

#addon-bar > #status-bar > .statusbar-resizerpanel {
       display: none !important;
   }