What is pandadomainadvisor.com? Hijacking?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mapenn

What is pandadomainadvisor.com? Hijacking?

Post by mapenn »

Hi -- Whenever I mistype a URL, or a website is slow to load, FireFox now is redirected to a webpage, "www.pandadomainadvisor.com", which basically appears to be a page of revenue-generating adsense links.

Interesting, a search for that domain, does not generate any results.

I have run anti-virus, spybot, trojan-remover, and MalwareBytes. Nothing is coming up as a red flag.

Any ideas?
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: What is pandadomainadvisor.com? Hijacking?

Post by malliz »

http://www.hostlogr.com/site/pandadomainadvisor.com
Do you have any toolbars or extensions installed and is this about Firefox? as you are using Chrome to post with
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

What antivirus program do you use? (It's also possible that your ISP has hijacked some things.)

Also, if you go to "about:config" (without the quotes) in Firefox and search for "keyword", what are the items and their values that show up?

Setting "keyword.enabled" to false should disable the feature completely (so mistyped URLs just display an error page).
Resetting "keyword.URL" should make it so mistyped URLs go to whatever the default search provider is (usually Google).
mapenn

Post by mapenn »

OK, actually, I do get this same problem in all browsers. Thanks for asking. I do use Panda Cloud Antivirus, but this landing page, I don't think, is Panda. There's no company logo or verbiage -- just a bunch of misc web links and ads.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Sounds like you may be using the Panda Cloud DNS. I'm on a Mac so I don't know how to check DNS settings on Win. Check and see if they have been change from your ISP's DNS.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Shadowman (PCA Support)

Post by Shadowman (PCA Support) »

Shadowman (PCA Support)

Post by Shadowman (PCA Support) »

oops, i did not notice mapenn is the one who posted the thread over at Panda CloudAV Support Forums, the link is for the others then.

my apology :)
lewismatson

Post by lewismatson »

KWierso wrote:What antivirus program do you use? (It's also possible that your ISP has hijacked some things.)

Also, if you go to "about:config" (without the quotes) in Firefox and search for "keyword", what are the items and their values that show up?

Setting "keyword.enabled" to false should disable the feature completely (so mistyped URLs just display an error page).
Resetting "keyword.URL" should make it so mistyped URLs go to whatever the default search provider is (usually Google).

--- I have the same problem. I installed Panda Cloud Antivirus. I don't recall allowing the web filter on install. I'm loading an otherwise normal website, say noaa.gov, and perhaps it took too long and the page is redirected to this pandadomainadvisor.com with ads. I've looked on the Panda Cloud website and there are no references to pandadomainadvisor in a search. I've applied the above changes (about:config) but haven't yet restarted Firefox. The keyword.URL was a redirect to search.yahoo. Right-clicking gave a choice of reset, which did reset to google.com. Thus, pandadomainadvisor.com is sending to a page under search.yahoo.

-- OF NOTE: the following site lists pandadomainadvisor as a trojan.... : http://www.scanforfree.com/90/pandadoma ... moval.html . Certainly Panda Cloud should provide a choice of where to go under timeout. This must be part of an agreement for funding with search.yahoo. I'll post the same to the Panda Cloud forums.

- Lew
Sadhu44

Post by Sadhu44 »

First of all, re: Lew’s post of Feb 11. I doubt that this is malware of any kind. As a matter of fact, that site that lists it as malware says it’s a rootkit, the most deadly of all malware. Not true. This comes with Panda Security as part of their installation package. I think that if one downloads their “pandadomainadvisor.com Remover” link, THAT’s when you’ll get infected. At least, suckered into buying software you don’t need. Neither Malwarebytes nor Spybot Search/Destroy list this as any kind of malware.

If you run Windows Task manager > Processes, and sort them alphabetically, down in the P’s you will see “pandaurl” or something like that... I killed that process and I stopped getting the pandadomainadvisor page.

I forgot the note the filename of that process, so I couldn’t search c:\program files\ for it. So I don’t know for sure that Panda Security URL Filtering is the source of this annoying screen.

If you look Control Panel > add and remove programs, you will find an entry entitled something like “Panda Security URL Filtering” or some such. I think you can remove this program without fear of harming your system.

Me, next reboot I’m going to find it, and delete it or rename it, or simply uninstall that “Panda Security URL Filtering” program using control panel > add/remove programs.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll let you know.

BTW, about:config > keyword... false didn’t work for me. Maybe I should have restarted FF.
obiggie

Post by obiggie »

i went under control panel>programs>default programs and also into windows defender>software explorer>startup programs and disabled "panda security url filtering" and it did the trick. hope this helps.
Benn Burke

Post by Benn Burke »

just uninstall the url filter of Panda in add/remove software and there you go.

It's a Pand Cloud url filter 'service' that's causing this.
It's supposed to protect you from phishing, but make s the awesome bar a lot less awesome.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Did you check the date of the last post?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
McHeisty

Post by McHeisty »

Thanks benn!!! Really helped!
jcoll

Post by jcoll »

Thanks, Benn!!! That was exactly the right solution...