import "everything" from Firefox

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
KADC

import "everything" from Firefox

Post by KADC »

I just installed SeaMonkey, and though there are several threads describing how to manually import Firefox bookmarks, history, and passwords into SeaMonkey, I'm surprised to find that this is not something SeaMonkey attempts to do automatically. I'm further surprised that I'm not able to find any utility to do this either.

I'm sure I'll be able to manage by following the "how to" threads I found, but I think this is a feature that really needs to be added to SeaMonkey. Add to that wish the ability to automatically copy preferences, languages, and install add-ons when possible.

It's the knowledge of all the time and inconvenience that prevented me from switching to SeaMonkey until now. Had I not had this rare bit of spare time I probably still wouldn't have made the change and I'm sure I can't be the only person that feels this way. Making the switch from Firefox (and Internet Eplorer, Chrome, etc.) as painless as possible can only help to improve SeaMonkey's popularity.
Philip Chee

Re: import "everything" from Firefox

Post by Philip Chee »

KADC wrote:I just installed SeaMonkey, and though there are several threads describing how to manually import Firefox bookmarks, history, and passwords into SeaMonkey, I'm surprised to find that this is not something SeaMonkey attempts to do automatically. I'm further surprised that I'm not able to find any utility to do this either.

I'm sure I'll be able to manage by following the "how to" threads I found, but I think this is a feature that really needs to be added to SeaMonkey. Add to that wish the ability to automatically copy preferences, languages, and install add-ons when possible.

It's the knowledge of all the time and inconvenience that prevented me from switching to SeaMonkey until now. Had I not had this rare bit of spare time I probably still wouldn't have made the change and I'm sure I can't be the only person that feels this way. Making the switch from Firefox (and Internet Eplorer, Chrome, etc.) as painless as possible can only help to improve SeaMonkey's popularity.

Unfortunately nobody wrote a migrator module for Firefox. The SeaMonkey volunteer who was in charge of our migration code was hired by Thunderbird and since then he's been only working on Thunderbird code. Nobody else around understands the C++ code well enough to come up with a Firefox import module.

Unlike Firefox and Thunderbird which have full time employees, we are a purely community driven project. Nobody is paid, everyone is a volunteer.

Phil
raj_bhaskar

Re: import "everything" from Firefox

Post by raj_bhaskar »

And just FYI, this is being tracked in bug 342659.