>1 Profile Managers

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FoxFox

>1 Profile Managers

Post by FoxFox »

Is it possible to either use separate profile managers for each different instance (version) of firefox? Or be able to provide separate profiles list to profile manager when run from different firefox? Mainly this is so don't load "wrong" profile into any Firefox instance (which updates extensions, which have to "down-date" when go back to correct firefox). Also to simplify things.

Ie Firefox 3.6 --> Profile1, Profile2
. .Firefox 4.0 --> Profile3, Profile4
KWierso

Re: >1 Profile Managers

Post by KWierso »

You can make your shortcuts point directly to specific profiles, so that launching that shortcut will start with the profile that you chose for it.

Right-click the shortcut, go to "Properties". Go to the "Shortcut" tab.

In the Target section, it should look something like this to begin with:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

To make this shortcut start with a profile that's called "Profile1", change the target line so it looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P Profile1

And apply the changes.

(The "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" part might point to some other location, so you need that part to match what it is on YOUR system.)

Then make another shortcut for Firefox 3.6 and do the same thing to it (using "Profile2" instead of "Profile1").

Then do the same thing for two shortcuts for Firefox 4, using Profile3 and Profile4.

A different option might be to use a Portable Apps version of Firefox. I think the Portable Apps version doesn't look outside of its folder for profiles, so it should just list whatever profiles you create in it.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Mozilla is developing a new Profile Manager application to replace the current Profile Manager that is built into Firefox, which can be set up to "tie" each Profile to a particular Firefox installation.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Auto-tools/Pro ... ileManager
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Profile_Manager
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... lemanager/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
FoxFox

Post by FoxFox »

KWierso: I had just read about this method before i posted. But i would like to keep using profile-manager (or similar) to launch firefox/profile. I will use this for the gui i quickly made though (have basically duplicated the look/operation of firefox profile-manager). I might even alter it so that i can choose the Firefox version as well (?!)

the-edmeister: I have downloaded the package from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... ilemanager. Can i just run it from its folder?. Or does it have to be "installed" in some way (eg via AddOns). Also am getting an "msvcr100.dll" error. Downloaded the dll off web, put in system32, system, profilemanager, & xulrunner folders, but still get error. Can't-register error also (commandprompt .. regsvr32...). Might try again after rebooting.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

FoxFox wrote:the-edmeister: I have downloaded the package from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... ilemanager. Can i just run it from its folder?. Or does it have to be "installed" in some way (eg via AddOns). Also am getting an "msvcr100.dll" error. Downloaded the dll off web, put in system32, system, profilemanager, & xulrunner folders, but still get error. Can't-register error also (commandprompt .. regsvr32...). Might try again after rebooting.

For me, I just ran profilemanager.exe and it started up.

You might want to make a backup of your profiles if they're important to you, as the new profile manager IS pre-release software and could possibly eat your profiles.
James

Post by James »

FoxFox, are you really posting with the old EOL Firefox 2.0.0.20 from two years ago? or did you over-ride your useragent.
FoxFox

Post by FoxFox »

James wrote:FoxFox, are you really posting with the old EOL Firefox 2.0.0.20 from two years ago? or did you over-ride your useragent.

Yes, i'm afraid i am!. The primary reason is due to later versions not running all of my current extensions (i have 80 installed). Also i'm comfortable with things exactly as they are, user-interface-wise (each version changes little things, which i dislike). But i am using the 3.6 version for my "Video-downloading" profile.
Ps: Up till near end of 2008, i was still using 1.5 (& 1.3 not long before that)! :oops:
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

FoxFox wrote: Also am getting an "msvcr100.dll" error. Downloaded the dll off web, put in system32, system, profilemanager, & xulrunner folders, but still get error. Can't-register error also (commandprompt .. regsvr32...). Might try again after rebooting.

I just tried it on my WinXP system with the same results. I did a search for msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll (you need both) on my machine and copied those files to the root directory of "profilemanager" after unpacking. After that, the program ran fine.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

FoxFox, you don't want anything to change, but if you wait long enough, some spyware will probably make changes for you -- if it hasn't already. I know, I hate to update working software too, but the days are long gone when it was safe to do that. I see now why you want to run two different versions. Best of luck to you.
FoxFox

Post by FoxFox »

VanillaMozilla wrote:but if you wait long enough, some spyware will probably make changes for you -- if it hasn't already
By "spyware" you mean (specifically) ... ?
I have made my 2.0 Firefox as secure as i can via extensions. Could spyware still get onto my pc?
FoxFox

Post by FoxFox »

L.A.R. Grizzly: Here are the errors i'm getting:

---------------------------
RegSvr32
msvcr100.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered.
("regsvr32 msvcr100.dll" at command)

profilemanager.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point _invalid_parameter_noinfo_noreturn could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR100.dll.

XULRunner
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I'm using WinXp, SP3.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

FoxFox wrote:I have made my 2.0 Firefox as secure as i can via extensions. Could spyware still get onto my pc?
FoxFox, my jaw dropped.
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/
All it takes is one ad that delivers malware, and bang! You might be lucky, but you're playing roulette. Malware has gotten very good at hiding itself, and security software is extremely ineffective. It generally misses a large fraction -- and by "large", I mean something like 1/3 -- even of the known threats.
FoxFox

Post by FoxFox »

I forgot about all that stuff .. those Firefox hackers have been very busy haven't they!
I have been focussing on extension-based security (AdBlock+, NoScript, FlashBlock, BetterPrivacy (deletes Flash cookies), LeechBlock), but i now see that they only cover the most-common, or maybe the most basic, forms of malware.
You have motivated me to consider ditching Firefox 2.0, and other versions, and using only the latest version!. Partial protection is not good enough for me. Just been too busy with other stuff to keep up properly, security-wise (& of course the other reasons mentioned).
And i'm a very technically-minded person! (which means billions more people...)
FoxFox

Post by FoxFox »

Could someone tell me the versions of msvcr100.dll & msvcp100.dll they are using?. It's for "The procedure entry point ... could not be located" error.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

FoxFox wrote:Could someone tell me the versions of msvcr100.dll & msvcp100.dll they are using?. It's for "The procedure entry point ... could not be located" error.

msvcp100.dll - 10.0.30319.1
msvcr100.dll - 10.0.30319.1

You can download my copies here. They will be available for about 5 weeks.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18