All SENT are marked "this is a draft message" - Why?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
NikkePitt

All SENT are marked "this is a draft message" - Why?

Post by NikkePitt »

Hi!

Why is it that all msgs in my SENT box have the text "this is a draft message" to the left of an "Edit..." icon ??

Thunderbird 3.1.7.
DanRaisch

Re: All SENT are marked "this is a draft message" - Why?

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Is this a new installation or one you have been using for some time?
2. Where does the "Edit" icon appear?
3. POP or IMAP email account?
4. What is the target for saving Sent messages as set under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders?
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

Hi!
Thanx for paying attention!

1: Yes, two days, imported several hundreds of old mail, and sorted them.
But this with 'Draft' happens to ALL sent msgs, even newly created and sent today.

2: Have a look at this Picture:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2553k2w.jpg

( http://i53.tinypic.com/2553k2w.jpg )

3: Those are all POP3, since the IMAP accounts keep their own SENT boxes.

4: All my POP3 accounts SENT goes to the same folder = SENT on LOCAL.

And i don't want it to say 'Local Folders' on the 'Account' column, as it does now (SEE the PIc above!),
on all mail in the SENT folder.
It does so on old imported mail, and on newly sent mail.
Instead it should, of course, tell from WHAT account it was sent, as it did in OE6.

Further more, i would like to be able to SEE what TB does when it's polling for mail,
= the style it was in OE6 = a Window pops up, and one can follow the polls one by one.
And that Window also could be locked so that it didn't disappear after all polls were done.
Could of course be an Option if one want to use such a Window.

That way one can clearly see that it has polled for mail from each and every account, incl. IMAPs,
that doesn't even show up when one creates a TB LOGfile as i did.

And in the LOGfile it doesn't even show all POP-accounts that are in fact being polled for mail,
so it's not exactly easy to make sure TB does its work...
One idea is that it in the LOGfile it could show ALL email addresses it polls - it doesn't now,
perhaps due to that it uses the same server for several addresses, and only shows the first
actaul email address then.

But with a Windows that shows all polling, I wouldn't have to care about what the LOGfile shows, or not shows... :-)

/NP!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You've set up those POP accounts to use the Global Inbox option ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox ) which is why they all show "Local Folders" as the Account. If you wish to continue to use that display structure, I'm not sure it is possible to identify the sending email address.

What is the target for saving Draft messages as set under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders?
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

DanRaisch wrote:You've set up those POP accounts to use the Global Inbox option ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox ) which is why they all show "Local Folders" as the Account. If you wish to continue to use that display structure, I'm not sure it is possible to identify the sending email address.

Sad, and somewhat lousy written code then!

It worked in OE6 - an old and totally useless prg according to some ... - but you can't make it work in a newly written prg like TB ??

What IS - really! - so hard with showing the correct email adress in the SENT folder, instead of of showing the NON-True statement of "This is a draft message" ??
The correct SENT-BY address IS in the email itself, so why not show it ??
Of course mails in the SENT-folder should show from WHAT account a specific email was sent!
That makes sense - saying it's a DRAFT does NOT make sense!

What is the target for saving Draft messages as set under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders?

Local folders Draft.
But that really shouldn't have anything to do with the SENT folder... ??

/NP!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It would have everything to do with the Sent folder if Drafts were mistakenly targeted to that same folder.
And this is the first report of that "This is a draft message" statement appearing in Sent messages, not just with version 3.1.7 but with any version of Thunderbird that I can recall.

Do you have any extensions installed in Thunderbird?
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

DanRaisch wrote:It would have everything to do with the Sent folder if Drafts were mistakenly targeted to that same folder.
And this is the first report of that "This is a draft message" statement appearing in Sent messages, not just with version 3.1.7 but with any version of Thunderbird that I can recall.

All SENT, DRAFTS and TEMPLATES folders on the POP3 accounts, were set to OTHER, but still Pointing to the LOCAL Folders SENT, DRAFTS and TEMPLATES.
I didn't change that, so it must have happend when it imported and so.

But now i've set it to LOCAL>SENT, DRAFTS and TEMPLATES for each one of the POP3.
I restarted, and sent a boundle of mails to meselfs other accounts, but still the (new) mail in the SENT shows "this is a draft message" - Why?

I wouldn't care if it showed "this is a draft message", as long as it ALSO showed the Account it was sent from ...

Do you have any extensions installed in Thunderbird?

Yes, but they weren't there from the beginning.

They are: AddressBookTab 1.3.2.
AutoSlide 0.0.7.
CompactHeader 1.2.4.
Svensk ordlista 1.44
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing ("drafts" reference) occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing ("drafts" reference) occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Now - this is funny .... :-) - i exited TB and waited a few seconds, checked TB was gone in the task manager, and restarted TB in Safe mode.

Voila - or is that Viola ?? :-) - the Draft Message was Gone!

No more "This is a draft message" - not even when i exited and restarted in normal mode!

Thanx, whatever VooDoo you did from Distance! :-)

=====

But... the problem with it showing 'Local Folder' in the 'Account' column in the >Local Folders>Sent is still there.
On all incoming mail, in all other different folders, it now shows the Senders email adress in the Account column, as it shall,
but just not in Sent...
The Senders email is however shown in the Header, no matter if the header is one or two lines. And that's like it should be.

========

And i'm wondering how to get hold of a mails Properties, like when in OE6 i just right clicked, and chosed Properties, and i could read out all the Header information.

========

Also; when i now had written a new mail, and chose Send Later, it goes to the Outbox, but when i double click it
to start Edit it again, it can't be edited... ??

It was very often i edited mails in the Outbox in OE6, and i would like to be able to do that with TB too, but how ??

And I really would like all outgoing mail to STAY in the Outbox when i click SEND on a newly written mail, it should
stay in the Outbox until I myself click GET MAIL from the main menu, as in OE6... any way of getting that ??

=======

Ha, and now i've found something strange here!

If i stand on an email so it's readable in ClassicView>Message Pane, and then click >>View>Display Attachments Inline
(no matter if it is ON or not) and then click >>View>Character Encoding>Auto Detect> and click on OFF, that is already
Checked as ON, then the SOURCE/MailHeader of the mail shows, instead of the 'normal' mail.
Strange ...
And when i click "Display Attachments Inline" again, the 'mail' returns = no more Source/MailHeader. ...

And it doesn't matter if the mail in question has an attachment or not, it's the same with all mail.

/NP!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Safe mode is a diagnostic tool. It's not intended to be used for routine operation of the program. Try restarting Thunderbird so that it starts in standard mode. (That is, do not use the -safe-mode switch.) See if the "draft" notation reappears. If it does it means that an extension is causing that display.

danraisch wrote:You've set up those POP accounts to use the Global Inbox option ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox ) which is why they all show "Local Folders" as the Account. If you wish to continue to use that display structure, I'm not sure it is possible to identify the sending email address.

3. "Properties" sounds like what Thunderbird provides either by using menu path View->Headers->All or menu path View->Message Source.

4. The Outbox is a holding area for messages to be sent, not for messages pending final editing. The latter is the role of the Drafts folder.
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

DanRaisch wrote:1. Safe mode is a diagnostic tool. It's not intended to be used for routine operation of the program. Try restarting Thunderbird so that it starts in standard mode. (That is, do not use the -safe-mode switch.) See if the "draft" notation reappears. If it does it means that an extension is causing that display.

You've missed a line: "No more "This is a draft message" - not even when i exited and restarted in normal mode!" So i'm Ok with that part now! :-)

I am running i normal mode, and it's workning, so, as i said: "Thanx, whatever VooDoo you did from Distance!"

danraisch wrote:You've set up those POP accounts to use the Global Inbox option ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox ) which is why they all show "Local Folders" as the Account. If you wish to continue to use that display structure, I'm not sure it is possible to identify the sending email address.

Ok, i can live with that, even if it would be more fun to have the Account column show what is really SHOULD show! :-)

3. "Properties" sounds like what Thunderbird provides either by using menu path View->Headers->All or menu path View->Message Source.

Ahhhhhhhhh, View->Message Source, Thank you!

4. The Outbox is a holding area for messages to be sent, not for messages pending final editing. The latter is the role of the Drafts folder.

Hmmm... so, what is the reason for anyone to use "Send Later", if NOT to be able to later Edit the mail before it being sent ??

I found a way to edit mails in the Outbox: >>Message>Edit Message As New, but that creates YET another new mail, which is unnecessary.
Since then the first copy still remains in the Outbox when the newly edited copy is being sent away.

Please RE-think this part of TB's development!
When one double clicks a mail in the Outbox, it should open for Editing!

And what about this BUG-report:

Ha, and now i've found something strange here!

If i stand on an email so it's readable in ClassicView>Message Pane, and then click >>View>Display Attachments Inline
(no matter if it is ON or not) and then click >>View>Character Encoding>Auto Detect> and click on OFF, that is already
Checked as ON, then the SOURCE/MailHeader of the mail shows, instead of the 'normal' mail.
Strange ...
And when i click "Display Attachments Inline" again, the 'mail' returns = no more Source/MailHeader. ...

And it doesn't matter if the mail in question has an attachment or not, it's the same with all mail.

Have you reproduced that yet ??

/NP!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Don't put messages in the Outbox (Send Later) if you may wish to do further editing. Save them to the Drafts folder instead. The Outbox, as I said above, is only for messages you wish to send at a later time. A frequent use for this would be for those using a laptop outside the range of WiFi access. They can compose messages and store them in the Outbox until they are again in range to access a server and send the message.

2. No, haven't tried.

This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community. Please don't jump to the wrong conclusion because Mozilla is part of the forum name or because of a link to this web site displayed at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/support/ .
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

Hmmm, i now discovered something annoying, again...; If i stand on a mail in the IN-box of one of my IMAP-accounts, and click Get Mail, nutting happens...

It doesn't poll for mail on all my POP3 accounts then, why is that ??
It doesn't even poll for mail in the IMAP-account i'm already in ...

I have to move to >>LOCAL FOLDER > INBOX and there click GET MAIL again, before TB starts to poll.

TB is clearly not really like it should be, there's still plenty of small annoying bugs in it, sad.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird is open source so you are welcome to contribute fixes to correct the things that annoy you.
NikkePitt

Post by NikkePitt »

DanRaisch wrote:Thunderbird is open source so you are welcome to contribute fixes to correct the things that annoy you.

Naaa, i really have done any programming since the early 90's, so no dice. :lol:

But why isn't there a TO: column to chose for >Local Folders>Sent ??

Strange to not be able to see to WhoM a certain mail i sent (except for at the header then).

/NP!