[Themes] Firefox Toolbar Icons

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
L.A.R. Grizzly

[Themes] Firefox Toolbar Icons

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Disclaimer:

Friends, it's been a fun ride these past three years creating themes for Firefox and Thunderbird. With the introduction of the new Australis user interface, the developers have made theme development quite difficult with the constant changes in the UI code. I'm therefore abandoning further development and support of my themes. I am recommending Aris'
"Classic Toolbar Buttons" as a good replacement for those wanting a more colorful UI. This add-on has many button icons to choose from, including the ones from my themes. Classic Toolbar Buttons works with Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey.

After using Firefox for some time now, I've become tired of the monochrome toolbar icons. I'm frequently clicking on the wrong ones for their lack of color. I feel that the plain "black" appearance is totally unappealing and makes the icons hard to distinguish between.

So, I've made themes doing a simple replacement to the toolbar.png file in the default Firefox theme, with one that I've modified with different icons. I simply took the default file and changed the images.

Default Firefox Icons:

Winstripe Icons:

Latest Version:

Winstripe Toolbar Icons

Modern Icons:

Latest Version:

Modern Toolbar Icons

Strata Icons:

Latest Version:

Strata Toolbar Icons

Color Icons:

Latest Version:

Color Toolbar Icons

Changelog

Applying Personas on top of Custom Themes

Special thanks to Patrick J. Dempsey, who helped me with the .css coding!
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on July 22nd, 2014, 11:10 am, edited 48 times in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
patrickjdempsey

Re: [Theme] L.A.R. Grizzly's Theme (FF 4.0 beta Colored Icon

Post by patrickjdempsey »

L.A.R. I highly recommend you check out the following topic about creating small themes:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1472225

And I've made this example of an extremely simple theme for Firefox 4.0 that you are welcome to look at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ix-simple/

The advantage to this method is that you will not have to keep updating your theme to match the default theme and it will continue to work for many Firefox versions into the future.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

patrickjdempsey wrote:L.A.R. I highly recommend you check out the following topic about creating small themes:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1472225

And I've made this example of an extremely simple theme for Firefox 4.0 that you are welcome to look at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ix-simple/

The advantage to this method is that you will not have to keep updating your theme to match the default theme and it will continue to work for many Firefox versions into the future.

Thank you for the links. I'll have to do some reading. I notice that your add-on contains .css files (which I'm not totally familiar with yet). I just made mine as a stop-gap until (hopefully) someone will make a Winstripe or Classic theme. I was using Winstripe Modern, but it has now broken too badly and I had to revert back to the default theme. I'm just a noob and much of this stuff is a little over my head. In time, I may learn, if I can get the brain cells to cooperate! :-k
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
patrickjdempsey

Basically, all you need to do what you want is your image file and one .css file that has a list of the buttons you want to change linked to that image file. All of the css stuff in my theme related to changing the shape and colors of the buttons and urlbar/searchbar can just be removed. Let me know if you would like some assistance.... I was actually thinking about doing this the other day after you made that post about changing the icon colors.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
orbidia

Post by orbidia »

This seems to work well. Is it possible to make the "Reload current page" icon the the default circle icon in the same blue that was picked for the square shaped one? The circle shape on the default icon seems a bit more correct...
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

orbidia wrote:This seems to work well. Is it possible to make the "Reload current page" icon the the default circle icon in the same blue that was picked for the square shaped one? The circle shape on the default icon seems a bit more correct...

I had such a hard time getting it to look right while keeping its round shape. I ended up having to settle for the square shape. I'm just a novice at this. At this present time, it's the best I could do.

--Edit--

I changed the theme's toolbar icons to the old Winstripe icon set. I was getting tired of the contrast of the blocky icons while my add-ons use nicely styled icons. Now I have some consistency in the icon quality.
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on March 7th, 2011, 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
orbidia

Re: [Theme] L.A.R. Grizzly's Theme (FF 4.0 - Winstripe Icons

Post by orbidia »

Hey wow! This new icon set looks great. I don't know what it takes to put it as an addon on the firefox addons page. But I bet there's a lot of people who would like it. The bookmarks icon makes more sense too. It's clearly a classic cloth bookmark. I don't understand why they didn't make the bookmark button icon the yellow star like what is used in the address bar. That would've been more clear for everyone.

I wish firefox didn't switch to monochrome. Now everyone is using monochrome for the addon buttons. I can understand monochrome for buttons in photoshop where you don't want color distracting from working on precise colors in a photograph... but come'on - it's a web browser! Colors make the buttons easier to distinguish...

Also, if you happen to use All-In-One Sidebar which is a nice addon for a lot of things, the author is updating it for Firefox 4.0 and on this page:
http://firefox.exxile.net/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=30
The third post down has some code to put into userChrome.css to make the new All-In-One Sidebar have color buttons as well. I still have a monochrome buttons for the lastpass button and that silly panorama button. But things are looking a lot better.

Thanks for making this available - I'll be installing it wherever I put firefox.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

orbidia wrote:Hey wow! This new icon set looks great. I don't know what it takes to put it as an addon on the firefox addons page. But I bet there's a lot of people who would like it. The bookmarks icon makes more sense too. It's clearly a classic cloth bookmark. I don't understand why they didn't make the bookmark button icon the yellow star like what is used in the address bar. That would've been more clear for everyone.

I wish firefox didn't switch to monochrome. Now everyone is using monochrome for the addon buttons. I can understand monochrome for buttons in photoshop where you don't want color distracting from working on precise colors in a photograph... but come'on - it's a web browser! Colors make the buttons easier to distinguish...

Also, if you happen to use All-In-One Sidebar which is a nice addon for a lot of things, the author is updating it for Firefox 4.0 and on this page:
http://firefox.exxile.net/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=30
The third post down has some code to put into userChrome.css to make the new All-In-One Sidebar have color buttons as well. I still have a monochrome buttons for the lastpass button and that silly panorama button. But things are looking a lot better.

Thanks for making this available - I'll be installing it wherever I put firefox.

I'm glad you like the change. So far, none of my add-ons have gone monochrome. I'm not looking forward to that. It will just be another headache to deal with!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
patrickjdempsey

orbidia wrote:Hey wow! This new icon set looks great. I don't know what it takes to put it as an addon on the firefox addons page. But I bet there's a lot of people who would like it.

For reasons that are really not very clear to anyone, Mozilla went on a little war path against Themes last year and removed them from the Recommended/Featured Addons list. This also removed them from appearing in the Get Add-ons frame. So really no chance of that for any of Themes.
Lassar

Re: [Theme] Firefox 4.0 - Winstripe Toolbar Icons

Post by Lassar »

I agree that the Firefox 4 default theme is very UGLY !
-
Curious about the FCC GROL License ?
patrickjdempsey

Please stop spamming EVERY SINGLE theme thread to say the same thing over and over.
Lassar

Post by Lassar »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:After using the Firefox 4.0 betas for some time now, I've become tired of the monochrome toolbar icons... I feel that the plain "black" appearance is totally unappealing and makes the icons hard to distinguish between.

I really like the look of the reload and bookmark buttons in the XP Firefox 3 default.

Would you consider dong a theme that looks like the the XP Firefox 3 default theme?

I manage to find the Toolbar.png and Toolbar-small.png from the old XP default theme if you need them.
-
Lassar

Post by Lassar »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:After using the Firefox 4.0 betas for some time now, I've become tired of the monochrome toolbar icons... I feel that the plain "black" appearance is totally unappealing and makes the icons hard to distinguish between.

You theme looks really good.

But I really prefer the look of the reload button in the XP Firefox 3 default.

But I guess I could live with this reload button.

I think I am going to install this theme.
-
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Lassar wrote:

You theme looks really good.

But I really prefer the look of the reload button in the XP Firefox 3 default.

But I guess I could live with this reload button.

I think I am going to install this theme.

With the software I have, it's a real pain modifying the toolbar file. I just gave it a shot with the FF 3 Strata Icons and I couldn't get it to work out. If it were easier for me, I might have gone forward with it. Sorry. :?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Lassar

Post by Lassar »

I have installed it and it is looking pretty good.

Found out that the reload button isn't used anyway.

So I guess I am good to go.

Keep up the good work.
-