Various Pop-up blockers ineffective on my Firefox at least

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Bryskens

Various Pop-up blockers ineffective on my Firefox at least

Post by Bryskens »

I must say that im a bit disappointed on all firefox popublocker/addblocking extensions i have tested so far [-(
It could be my fault also off course, therefore i wanna review my own self-examination below..that in my opinion may cover that its likely not my fault? ;)

Note that im actually a bit disappointed on all security
applications i have (spywareblaster resident, spybot, IObit security, etc) on this computer since no one seem to be able backup
"Yes popups" and Ad-blocker Plus" security holes that allows "partypoker" and "livejasmin" "3Rbmall electronic commerce"
i wanna point out that its not only this 3 we talk about even though 2 of them are wery famous :-" It was only examples so i would
classify it as random pop-ups can get through, so i dont think there is any point to advice me
to just search for each individual pop up i encounter inside Firefox cookie blocker exclusion in preferences
since there will just be replaced by others (I wanna mark that "block pop ups" is also ticked in Firefox preferences off course)

Yes i have done spy ware scans with spybot , malwarebytes, comodo anti virus, Super Antispyware and thei have not find that spy ware
that may be the pop up generator that may override "ad-blocker and "yespopups" so that is not advice i can be satisfied with im afraid.

So if we focus on pop ups instead of spy ware primary, what can i do to either make "Adblock Plus 1.33" more effective?
i currently have the default "Easy list"(English) ad it getting auto-updated now and then,
i dont know if it exist any other list? and i dont know how to import another list either so i would need guidance.
(However i wanna question if "easy list" should not block this pop-ups anyway, cause some of them are wery
popular like party-poker and Jasmin, thei should be on a easy list by default i think! [-X )

"Yes popup 098b"s is setted to block all + enable pop-up filter ticked! nothing more i can do there right?

Otherwise, is there any other blocker add-ons available that you wanna recommend to lay on-top of this 2?

Firefox 3.6.13

Anyone have is or have been in my current situation? think about it please :-k
lithopsian

Re: Various Pop-up blockers ineffective on my Firefox at lea

Post by lithopsian »

You're doing something seriously wrong if you're getting that number of popups. The only popups you should ever see now are "user action" popups that require you to press something on the page to trigger the popup. There are some extensions that make an effort to block these, and Firefox itself has some not very-well-publicised controls, but ultimately if you click a button on a web page and the button is programmed to open a window then you're probably going to get a popup. Preventing all javascript from working just isn't feasible for most people these days. Firefox includes features to control which user actions will be allowed to create a popup, but most people never bother to change these because they can stop legitimate sites working.

Consider installing NoScript. It by default prevents scripts running which cuts out most of the popups that aren't stopped natively by Firefox. For your banks, forums, etc, you can either permanently whitelist them or temporarily allow them to do stuff just for this session. It is excessively complicated for most people, but the default settings are good enough that you shouldn't mess with them. Just click the icon when you need to let a page use javascript.

Adblock does not stop popups. It wasn't written to stop popups and I suggest you shouldn't expect it to. It prevents content from certain web domains being displayed in your browser. This will inevitably include some popups but don't use Adblock as a popup blocker because you'll be disappointed. I also suggest that you build your own filters instead of relying on a subscription, but that's up to you really. The Adblock Plus Helper extension is a useful addition if your frequently visit sites with annoying content or difficult to block advertising. You can precisely block out pieces of a page, but it is very much down to you to make the effort and it isn't at all general: blocking a piece of one page n a website will not usually have any affect on other websites.

I think most of the other extensions are not that useful. They are aimed at people who know nothing and expect everything. As such they will disappoint anyone who catches on to how little they achieve ;)
Bryskens

Post by Bryskens »

lithopsian wrote:You're doing something seriously wrong if you're getting that number of popups. The only popups you should ever see now are "user action" popups that require you to press something on the page to trigger the popup.

This doesnt look wrong atleast right?
I have never seen any message that a pop-up have been blocked by "yes pop-ups" specifically, i have not seen any message at all,
not from Firefox own blocker

lithopsian wrote:There are some extensions that make an effort to block these, and Firefox itself has some not very-well-publicised controls, but ultimately if you click a button on a web page and the button is programmed to open a window then you're probably going to get a pop-up. Preventing all javascript from working just isn't feasible for most people these days. Firefox includes features to control which user actions will be allowed to create a popup, but most people never bother to change these because they can stop legitimate sites working.

I dont feel i wanna try learning messing with javascript manually, so i welcome any extensions that really block
Im currentley testing "No script" now, i bump if i run into problems with it
lithopsian wrote:Consider installing NoScript. It by default prevents scripts running which cuts out most of the popups that aren't stopped natively by Firefox. For your banks, forums, etc, you can either permanently whitelist them or temporarily allow them to do stuff just for this session. It is excessively complicated for most people, but the default settings are good enough that you shouldn't mess with them. Just click the icon when you need to let a page use javascript.
Well that icon open up more than one option ;)
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Bryskens wrote:Well that icon open up more than one option ;)

Like I said, more complicated than most people need. The options closest to the mouse are what you usually need, allow scripts for that domain, or just allow them temporarily for this browser session (click when something doesn't work but you want it to). You may see more than one site to allow, so perhaps you allow the web page but not googleanalytics.com. You may also see "forbid" if you have previously allowed the site to execute scripts but now want to stop it. You can also allow everything on this page, or everything anywhere to execute javascript. Plus submenus for more things to allow or forbid. Don't even click on "Options ...", it will scare you :)

The newest versions of NoScript seem to have moved solely to a toolbar button instead of a status bar icon, and it might behave slightly differently. On the icon, right click and left click were subtly different in that one allowed you to select multiple options before it closed and applied them. Like I said, powerful but more complicated than most people need.

Pages without javascript will not be able to open popups (with the standard Firefox blocking options), at least not in any way that I'm aware of.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

When you see popups, you can often track down their source using AdBlock Plus. Click on the status-bar icon and select "Open blockable items". Scan the page for .js files that appear to have names related to the content you are getting popups for and create a new filter. For instance, the filter: */livejasmine.js| will keep the livejasmine popup from appearing. The EasyList filter subscription is exactly what is says... it's an "easy list". To get more specific filters for your style of browsing you may want to look into other filter lists. Go into AdBlock Plus Preferences, Filters > Add Filter Subscription.. > Add a different subscription.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Bryskens

Post by Bryskens »

patrickjdempsey wrote:When you see popups, you can often track down their source using AdBlock Plus. Click on the status-bar icon and select "Open blockable items". Scan the page for .js files that appear to have names related to the content you are getting popups for and create a new filter. For instance, the filter: */livejasmine.js| will keep the livejasmine popup from appearing. The EasyList filter subscription is exactly what is says... it's an "easy list". To get more specific filters for your style of browsing you may want to look into other filter lists. Go into AdBlock Plus Preferences, Filters > Add Filter Subscription.. > Add a different subscription.

Add a different subscription does only create a name for a empty list, but from where do i import
a "hard" list? into the empty list, cause i dont wanna sitt and manually add url's into a
secondary list after i encounter them

lithopsian wrote:
Bryskens wrote:Well that icon open up more than one option ;)

Like I said, more complicated than most people need. The options closest to the mouse are what you usually need, allow scripts for that domain, or just allow them temporarily for this browser session (click when something doesn't work but you want it to). You may see more than one site to allow, so perhaps you allow the web page but not googleanalytics.com. You may also see "forbid" if you have previously allowed the site to execute scripts but now want to stop it. You can also allow everything on this page, or everything anywhere to execute javascript. Plus submenus for more things to allow or forbid. Don't even click on "Options ...", it will scare you :)

The newest versions of NoScript seem to have moved solely to a toolbar button instead of a status bar icon, and it might behave slightly differently. On the icon, right click and left click were subtly different in that one allowed you to select multiple options before it closed and applied them. Like I said, powerful but more complicated than most people need.

Pages without javascript will not be able to open popups (with the standard Firefox blocking options), at least not in any way that I'm aware of.

Yes I notice now...that tool-bar would have been a more fitting name than "icon" for same thing [-o< #-o doesn't matter though cause i at least understand it today!
( =D> stop clapping please, i didn't mean the advanced settings no!! im insulted to be even considered the coming Archimedes of our time ](*,) [-( )
i understand the tool bar more or less
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Bryskens wrote:Add a different subscription does only create a name for a empty list, but from where do i import
a "hard" list? into the empty list, cause i dont wanna sitt and manually add url's into a
secondary list after i encounter them

It's a "subscription"... meaning you are subscribed to the list and it fills itself... you shouldn't have to manually add anything. However, manually adding a handful of persist sites doesn't take long... I've got about 20 custom filters that make my life considerably easier.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/