TotalMessage- experimental html5 rewrite of Tb message pane

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
alta88

TotalMessage- experimental html5 rewrite of Tb message pane

Post by alta88 »

TotalMessage implements the message pane in html. This includes all former chrome notifications box, headers, and attachments. The content body is an xul browser and toolbars/toolbarbuttons remain xul. The code is a port from what I wrote for Snowl.

The extension aims to include the functionality of CompactHeader, Mnenhy headers, and the old TB Header Tools extensions. Plus more.

Please see the homepage for a complete feature list.

Latest Version: TotalMessage v1.0rc6 for Tb 5.0+.

Comments welcome..
Last edited by alta88 on September 2nd, 2011, 6:19 pm, edited 16 times in total.
JoeS

Re: TotalMessage- experimental xhtml rewrite of Tb message p

Post by JoeS »

No go here.
On startup I get no folderpane display
Error console:
Error: messagepane.docShell is undefined
Source file: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js
Line: 151
----------
Error: gFolderTreeView._treeElement is undefined
Source file: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js
Line: 313
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
alta88

Post by alta88 »

is that with a clean profile and Tb 3.3pre? if you add a pref, string value TotalMessage.logging.console and set it to All, are there any messages?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

alta88 wrote:is that with a clean profile and Tb 3.3pre? if you add a pref, string value TotalMessage.logging.console and set it to All, are there any messages?

That was with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; rv:2.0b11pre) Gecko/20110128 Thunderbird/3.3a3pre ID:20110128065252
and my regular day-to-day profile with half doz extensions.
I may try again, but on another system as I had a hard time recovering. Couldn't open the addon manager to disable the addon. I'll try with logging and report back here if I do give it a try.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

hmm, works for me. just installed it in a new profile without issues. i open up test Tb with the -Profilemanager -no-remote command line options, so a new profile can be easily created.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

OK tried it on my laptop with the same results.
This build had no extensions, and only one gmaill account and a couple newsgroup.
THe logging option showed nothing. Looks like it fails for any pre-existing accounts set up.
Didn't try a new profile, but I believe you that would work.

Opps,
After clicking around the blank folderpane and restarting several times, it now seems to be working
Let be work with it for a while now..seems opening in a tab gives blank tabs...
to be continued.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Preliminary testing..in a word..AWESOME !
I love the auto-hide header feature and the toggle attachment layout.

The problem with blank tabs (and messagepane ) seems to depend on View>>layout>>wide
This is really a great improvement in UX
Now let me go find some large cc list samples etc.
Thanks a lot for doing this.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Long cc list and long headers are truncated (1024x768 reso)
I see no horizontal scrollbar or a way to "- toggle overflow/wrap fields."
Am I missing something here.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

You can open attachment within the attachment pane. Nice. Here's a screenshot
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/69/totalmsg.jpg
Only thing is, I can't figure out how to get out of that display other than opening another message.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:TotalMessage implements the message pane in xhtml. This includes all former chrome notifications box, headers, and attachments. The content body is an xul browser and toolbars/toolbarbuttons remain xul. The code is a port from what I wrote for Snowl.

I've heard that XHTML is dead. How about using HTML5 instead?

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

@JoeS
1. thanks for finding the issue with non 'classic' layouts!
2. you can mouse around and a pointer will always appear where you can perform an action. so on ellipsed fields, toggle the label name to wrap/unwrap them. a future version will then store this wrap state for that header.
3. attachments which can open internally (plugin enabled) will do so. i prefer external usually but certain types are nice internally. it will be fixed to 'go back' to the list if an attachment is opened internally. likely via history back, ie alt-left arrrow.

btw, i will likely add a pref (default off) for js in feed web pages.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Philip Chee wrote:
alta88 wrote:TotalMessage implements the message pane in xhtml. This includes all former chrome notifications box, headers, and attachments. The content body is an xul browser and toolbars/toolbarbuttons remain xul. The code is a port from what I wrote for Snowl.

I've heard that XHTML is dead. How about using HTML5 instead?

Phil

seems to be. in reality, this just uses a strict doctype and makes sure to close tags/lowercase, but is really html. i suppose html5 is the way to go, though i don't use any of its features so far.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

alta88 wrote:@JoeS
1. thanks for finding the issue with non 'classic' layouts!

You are quite welcome
2. you can mouse around and a pointer will always appear where you can perform an action. so on ellipsed fields, toggle the label name to wrap/unwrap them. a future version will then store this wrap state for that header.

Yes, I can see that now, but not very discoverable, Maybe some small visible icon...
3. attachments which can open internally (plugin enabled) will do so. i prefer external usually but certain types are nice internally. it will be fixed to 'go back' to the list if an attachment is opened internally. likely via history back, ie alt-left arrrow.

The adobe plugin does not seem to work at all in stock TB
This would save a couple clicks on the helper app..I get attached pdf's regularly for work, so just recognize them print and move on would be a nice labor-saver.

I think you probably know my position on that:
Enabling JS should be at the discretion of the user, in all venues, mail/feeds/newsgroups
I see that your content browser is more JS aware. xbl-marquee seems to work, but JS execution does not.
I posted a test here: news://news.mozilla.org:119/mailman.133 ... ozilla.org
Enabling the marquee tag might not mean much to most users, but it's a step up for those that think that mailnews should be more dynamic and web-like.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Yes, I can see that now, but not very discoverable, Maybe some small visible icon...

maybe. but it seems you found it fast enough..

The adobe plugin does not seem to work at all in stock TB
This would save a couple clicks on the helper app..I get attached pdf's regularly for work, so just recognize them print and move on would be a nice labor-saver.

not sure why pdfs don't open, i'm sure it's a larger plugin 'policy'. however, i've enabled alt-left (browser back) so keyboard and buttons so bound will cause a return to the attachments list.

I think you probably know my position on that:
Enabling JS should be at the discretion of the user, in all venues, mail/feeds/newsgroups

i do and agree, in the abstract. i will likely do something, but the issue is that i get the content after all the mime processing, so tags are already removed. the first cut is an attempt to merely recreate a better UI in html first.
I see that your content browser is more JS aware. xbl-marquee seems to work, but JS execution does not.
I posted a test here: news://news.mozilla.org:119/mailman.133 ... ozilla.org
Enabling the marquee tag might not mean much to most users, but it's a step up for those that think that mailnews should be more dynamic and web-like.

yes, they all seem to work and the js disabled banner is not there, yet the hover does not stop the scroll.

a new version b2 with some fixes has been uploaded.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

b2 works fine for alt+left arrow for multiple images.
In the case of acrobat plugin instantiated in the attachment pane, I think the plugin is at fault, as there seems no way to close the plugin. :D