what the heck is superfish??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LoudNoise

Re: what the heck is superfish??

Post by LoudNoise »

Mcramer-
I removed the link to the blog. You are welcomed to give information about how to remove surfcanyon stuff. If you try to use this thread for marketing it will be removed and you will be get a ban.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

mcramer,
Obviously, since it is reported as happening, you are wrong about it "never installed without user consent". I suggest that you go back to Surf Canyon and clean up your act.
limex

Post by limex »

I found out the the firefox add in Similar Web is also connecting to superfish if you turned on "Enable similar products in Amazon and other online stores".
ananananananon

Post by ananananananon »

limex wrote:I found out the the firefox add in Similar Web is also connecting to superfish if you turned on "Enable similar products in Amazon and other online stores".

verified!
uninstalled ietab plus 1.95.20100933 and superfish was gone..

thanks for the help in this forum.
Last edited by LoudNoise on January 18th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language edit
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

ananananananon-
Mind the rules: faq.php?mode=rules#f4r1
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mhommond1

Post by mhommond1 »

Guest wrote:I mistakenly associated AdBlock Plus with Superfish. It was the latest version of IE Tab plus that added Superfish. There are three options for setup. Two contain price comparison. I chose "Basic" and got rid of Superfish.

isabel95 wrote:After I installed the latest version of AdBlock Plus I started getting Superfish Window Shopper Beta. I think it's somehow connected to AdBlock Plus. It is very annoying, slows things down and I want to uninstall it. It is NOT on the list of Add-Ons in Firefox so I can't remove it. If you know how to get rid of it please post the info here.

8-) That is exactly what it was. It wasn't causing me any problems but i have NoScript Plug-in installed and on every single website I visited it show scripts partially allowed and it was blocking superfish.com but that was odd since it was on every single web page and I mean hundreds possibly even thousands of pages. so I thought i would find out who it was in case it was some kind of spyware my security software wasn't catching. turns out I too installed that I.E. Tab and it was one of the options in the custom and it was automatically enable in the featured mode and it doesn't say if it turned on or not in basic so I disabled it on the custom selection and not longer see the superfisch.com in my blocked noscript's any more. [-o< Good Catch I Would Of Never Thought Of Looking There.
Jul974

Post by Jul974 »

Well, it appears that SUPERFISH come with an adware from IE Tab Plus.

Check here (in French) http://www.libellules.ch/dotclear/index ... IeTab-Plus

Once IE Tab plus uninstalled, there won't be any surprising superfish script. (Unless, you installed another superfish application)
galeward

Post by galeward »

I just had an update for FoxLingo install on Firefox yesterday and Superfish showed up after that. Thank goodness for NoScript!

I got rid of the fishy by selecting FoxLingo Options->Main->then Deselecting 'Enable translated price comparison and currency conversion into [currency] (Powered by SuperFish)'. I wonder how many other add-ons this thing has attached itself to. [-X
7leagueboot

Post by 7leagueboot »

galeward wrote:I just had an update for FoxLingo install on Firefox yesterday and Superfish showed up after that. Thank goodness for NoScript!

I got rid of the fishy by selecting FoxLingo Options->Main->then Deselecting 'Enable translated price comparison and currency conversion into [currency] (Powered by SuperFish)'. I wonder how many other add-ons this thing has attached itself to. [-X

Ditto. Fortunately NoScript caught it and that led me to Googling Superfish to find out what it was. That brought me here for which I am very grateful because not only have I managed to disable Superphish (thanks galeward!) but I also discovered IE Tab which seems to be an ideal solution to a problem created by Dell. :D
AudioEng

Post by AudioEng »

Found in the latest FoxLingo update - says it only powers the currency conversion engine (to/from USD to/from other currency), but anyone not being upfront about this is of questionable character. Uninstall FoxLingo and use something else - then run MalwareBytes (free, quick scan), and it will find 1 errant registry entry - delete it and cross your fingers (or format and reload your computer....). Looks clean so far on my end - will post any developments.
MrGnerds

Post by MrGnerds »

read this forum. Several other forums that may work for you though.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2087825
uleman

Post by uleman »

I had the problem of superfish website loading down a so-called securaty warning, blocking my starting page of IE (Internet Explore).
I was able to remove this action by placing the URL of superfish into website with restricted entrance:
Go to IE, Extra, Internetoptions, Security, klick on zone "website with restricted entrance", klick websites, advanced, add to zone, Ok, Ok.
Method to be found in the Microsoft help: security zones, adding or removing websites.
Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Foxlingo confirmed as superfish carrier!
Denkzettel

FoxLingo

Post by Denkzettel »

Foxlingo added this x in the last update! Beware.
Last edited by LoudNoise on February 1st, 2011, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language edit
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Denkzettel-
Mind the rules: faq.php?mode=rules#f4r1
Post wrangler