How Do I Start Sunbird?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
J-Mac

How Do I Start Sunbird?

Post by J-Mac »

I just downloaded Sunbird and unzipped it. This just gave me a folder on the desktop. Had to root through it to find the Setup file. I clicked on the setup file and Sunbird appeared. Very nice!

However after I closed Sunbird, I can't find a way to start it again! No shortcut was placed in the Start>Programs menu, no Desktop shortcut was created. The folder exists in my Applications Data folder, but there's no .exe file to be found.

I realize that this is in the relatively early development stages, but how in the heck do I start it!?!?!
J-Mac

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/4.0.1
eoff

Post by eoff »

There isn't as much participation in this forum as there is in some of the others. I'm still waiting for an answer to a question I asked 3 days ago. I know nothing about sunbird, but I suggest you look at c:\program files\ and see if there is a sunbird folder in there, as well as in application data. If so, I think you will find the .exe in there, and you can make a shortcut to your desktop.
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Thanks, but there's nothing in Program Files. Kind of baffling, really. I just deleted everything.

Better to stick with what I have that I know works. Don't know why I keep downloading crapware like this - no support, no documentation. I'll learn yet.
J-Mac

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/4.0.1
JujuLand

Post by JujuLand »

When using setup, Sunbird is installed in the folder:

c:\Program Files\Mozilla Sunbird

As you used the zip file, you can have unzipped in a bad folder.

To find where, just search since c:\ where you can find sunbird.

If it's not in the good folder unzip it again.

Before, look at the folder which is the root folder. For example, if the root folder is Mozilla Sunbird, you have to unzip it in Program Files (and you should find Sunbird in c:\Mozilla Sunbird)

After having unzip in the good folder, delete the folder of the first install. And make a shortcut of Sunbird.exe that you can put in your Quick Launch or on your desktop
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

I did use the ZIP file, and using the WinXP default, just extracted it to a folder on the desktop. Actually, I don't think I've ever had to extract a zipped folder to Program Files; in virtually all cases the installer program does that. As a matter of fact, if I routinely extracted programs I download to Program Files, and the installer then tries to do that also, I'd have a bit of a mess. Unless I'm not understanding this correctly.

Is there another format to download available? The zipped archive was the only option for a Windows download I saw on the Sunbird download page. Or do you mean to just select "Open" rather than "Save" when I download?

This next question is probably a pointless one, but why is this different from other Mozilla downloads? I've downloaded FireFox several times, as each successive beta was released, and the same with Thunderbird. I've always saved the file to my desktop and then extracted and installed from there, thus keeping a copy of the setup files in case for some reason I need to reinstall. I've never had to extract to Program Files, as the installer perfromed that action. Why would Mozilla make Sunbird different?

Thank you for your answer -- it's obvious from my last post that I was pretty darned frustrated and yet your reply is quite patient and helpful. I do appreciate that!
J-Mac

nicramus

Post by nicramus »

When you unzip Sunbird it's ready to use, there's no "installer" inside the zip archive. Just unzip the file and run Sunbird clicking on sunbird.exe.

There will probably be some kind of installer once Sunbird is more "mature". Please note that it's an early beta release, so it might not be the most user friendly Mozilla software ;)
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

You can say that again!
J-Mac

Magic Hobo

Post by Magic Hobo »

Wha...? I can't find a setup program! I downloaded the windows version off the project site!
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

In the past there was a Windows installer build (.exe file) that did the whole job, but the latest release was only as a ZIP, hence the problems you have had. Sunbird is still a "young" product with a very small number of developers, so if you want the latest builds, you have to unzip them from time to time and create your own desktop icons, etc.

Note the the last installer created Sunbird under "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Sunbird\" while the ZIP file installs by default to "c:\Sunbird\" or some such. Worth mentioning if you later re-install/upgrade from the other package form. I'm pretty sure the ZIP and the Installer .EXE are build by two different Sunbird developers which partially explains the directory issue.
that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is