The World of WebGL discussion and bug hunting

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Cyberbeing

Re: The World of WebGL discussion and bug hunting

Post by Cyberbeing »

https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/regis ... tests.html

Results: (5778 of 5870 passed, 2 timed out)

Code: Select all

Adapter Description   ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Vendor   ID1002
Device   ID68be
Adapter   RAM1024
Adapter Drivers   aticfx64 aticfx64 aticfx64 aticfx32 aticfx32 aticfx32 atiumd64 atidxx64 atidxx64 atiumdag atidxx32 atidxx32 atiumdva atiumd6a atitmm64
Driver Version   8.812.0.0
Driver Date   1-4-2011
Direct2D Enabled   true
DirectWrite Enabled   true (6.1.7600.20781, font cache n/a)
WebGL Renderer   ATI Technologies Inc. -- ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series  -- 4.1.10428 Compatibility Profile Context
GPU Accelerated   Windows1/1 Direct3D 10

Results: (5340 of 5422 passed, 3 timed out)

Code: Select all

Adapter Description   ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Vendor   ID1002
Device   ID68be
Adapter   RAM1024
Adapter Drivers   aticfx64 aticfx64 aticfx64 aticfx32 aticfx32 aticfx32 atiumd64 atidxx64 atidxx64 atiumdag atidxx32 atidxx32 atiumdva atiumd6a atitmm64
Driver Version   8.812.0.0
Driver Date   1-4-2011
Direct2D Enabled   true
DirectWrite Enabled   true (6.1.7600.20781, font cache n/a)
WebGL Renderer   Google Inc. -- ANGLE -- OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 0.0.0.541)
GPU Accelerated   Windows1/1 Direct3D 10

What exactly is this ANGLE thing? Should I be using it or not? It seems easy enough to enable/disable by moving a few dll.
Mark342

Post by Mark342 »

ANGLE is used on Windows to translate OpenGL ES 2.0 to Directx9 so more graphics cards/drivers can use WebGL.
Also, you don't have to move anything to disable it. Just switch the about:config preference webgl.prefer-native-gl to true.

Your graphics card and driver seem to be good enough to run with or without ANGLE so it really is your choice. I would just choose the one that was faster in WebGL tests.
avada

Post by avada »

Mark342 wrote:ANGLE is used on Windows to translate OpenGL ES 2.0 to Directx9 so more graphics cards/drivers can use WebGL.
Also, you don't have to move anything to disable it. Just switch the about:config preference webgl.prefer-native-gl to true.

Your graphics card and driver seem to be good enough to run with or without ANGLE so it really is your choice. I would just choose the one that was faster in WebGL tests.

Then what doesn the "webgl.prefer_gl" preference do?
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

Can someone explain me why is Chrome performing better on Google WebGL demos?
Specially on Aquarium demo.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
phuzi0n

Post by phuzi0n »

avada wrote:Then what does the "webgl.prefer_gl" preference do?

Enabled makes the browser use OpenGL to render WebGL, disabled makes it use ANGLE+DirectX which is the default. On windows the graphics manufacturers have to implement OpenGL in their drivers so performance depends on how much effort the manufacturer puts into support OpenGL. ATI and Nvidia both have good OpenGL performance so if you're using their latest driver then you should get better performance by enabling this option. If your card has poor or no OpenGL support then ANGLE should allow you to still view WebGL and possibly perform better. Basically try it both ways and see which works better for your hardware.
phuzi0n

Post by phuzi0n »

iceccold wrote:Can someone explain me why is Chrome performing better on Google WebGL demos?
Specially on Aquarium demo.

With ANGLE disabled in FF I get similar performance in both browsers, but Chrome seems to have a bug on the Aquarium demo in that it refreshes the FPS counter when you click on "Options..." Chrome also lags updating the state of all the option 'links' although they affect the WebGL scenes immediately. ie. when I click an option it stays red or gray for several seconds usually but not always.
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

I just tried it at home, and I actually get 34 fps and in Chrome 9 I get 26. (50 fish)
If I set to 500 I get 24 on Firefox and 22 on Chrome.

Both rendered in ANGLE.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
avada

Post by avada »

phuzi0n wrote:Enabled makes the browser use OpenGL to render WebGL, disabled makes it use ANGLE+DirectX which is the default. On windows the graphics manufacturers have to implement OpenGL in their drivers so performance depends on how much effort the manufacturer puts into support OpenGL. ATI and Nvidia both have good OpenGL performance so if you're using their latest driver then you should get better performance by enabling this option. If your card has poor or no OpenGL support then ANGLE should allow you to still view WebGL and possibly perform better. Basically try it both ways and see which works better for your hardware.

I had this enabled and about:support still showed ANGLE. After I changed the "webgl.prefer-native-gl" to true it started using the drivers ogl.
phuzi0n

Post by phuzi0n »

avada wrote:I had this enabled and about:support still showed ANGLE. After I changed the "webgl.prefer-native-gl" to true it started using the drivers ogl.

I thought you meant webgl.prefer-native-gl because there is no such webgl.prefer_gl preference. It might be an old name, they've added and removed many graphics related preferences throughout the beta phase.
avada

Post by avada »

phuzi0n wrote:
avada wrote:I had this enabled and about:support still showed ANGLE. After I changed the "webgl.prefer-native-gl" to true it started using the drivers ogl.

I thought you meant webgl.prefer-native-gl because there is no such webgl.prefer_gl preference. It might be an old name, they've added and removed many graphics related preferences throughout the beta phase.

It must be that. It was suggested and was working previously.
avada

Post by avada »

I just noticed it stopped working on windows. I had to flip the webgl.force-enabled preference, Which I guess is new because I don't remember it. Why did they turn it off?
Mark342

Post by Mark342 »

IIRC, a bug landed recently that makes WebGL obey the graphics blacklist.
The webgl.force-enabled pref disregards the blacklist.
avada

Post by avada »

Mark342 wrote:IIRC, a bug landed recently that makes WebGL obey the graphics blacklist.

But why would they blacklist my 2600xt? Webgl was always working. (on windows)
hews310

Post by hews310 »

avada wrote:
Mark342 wrote:IIRC, a bug landed recently that makes WebGL obey the graphics blacklist.

But why would they blacklist my 2600xt? Webgl was always working. (on windows)

I think you need a driver newer than June or July 2010?
Hyosung

Post by Hyosung »

Just wondering, I had to enable it via webgl-force-enabled.

But if enabled how does one get it to show ANGL?

As mine currently reads:
ATI Technologies Inc. -- ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series -- 3.3.10524 Compatibility Profile Context

And I'm pretty sure i have the latest drivers:
Driver Version 8.821.0.0
Driver Date 1-26-2011