New version of Thunderbird... need new Calendar extension.

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
WeeOh

New version of Thunderbird... need new Calendar extension.

Post by WeeOh »

As of today's build (20041130), Thunderbird has moved beyond 0.9 to version 1.0RC1RC1. (No it's not a typo.)

The latest Calendar extension for Thunderbird on Linux only supports up to '.10'.

Could someone more competent than I build an updated version?

Thanks!
ralber

Post by ralber »

Any word on when we might see a new calendar for Windows that works with Thunderbird 1.0?

------- Rick Alber
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Ditto.
WeeOh

Post by WeeOh »

Anyone? I think it's been 3 days, but I'm not sure 'cause I can't use my calendar... ;)
WeeOh

Post by WeeOh »

No Calendar Extension for Thunderbird 1.x? I guess I missed that announcement...
thito01

Post by thito01 »

I have been able to run Calendar as a TB extension against the latest TB by hacking the maxversion string.
Unzip the .xpi to a directory
edit the install.rdf
find the "<em:maxVersion>" line and then change it to "<em:maxVersion>1.0</em:maxVersion>"
Re-zip the stuff back into an .xpi file and install normally.

Note: This is a hack that bypasses the correct version checking process and just because it worked this time does not mean that it may work in the future. The maxVersion string is there for a reason. If there had been a significant change in TB since the last Calendar extension was built, this could have caused all sorts of damage. TB has had only bug fixes since the last Calendar build so it seemed fairly safe THIS TIME. Use at your own risk.

Tony T
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

What zip program do you use? I can't seem to get Ultimate Zip to re-zip back into .xpi
thito01

Post by thito01 »

I use "zip" under linux.
Tony T
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

Thanks, I don't have linux running.
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

thito01

Thanks,

I got a fixed version Thanks to Sony over at this link

http://www.bbstyles.com/calendar_windows_20041112.xpi
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

In case anyone is interested, I have a hacked version of the calendar extension which works with Thunderbird 1.0 and has the Sunbird (Winstripe) theme.

<b><a href="http://markcarson.com/images/calendar_windows_20041112.xpi">calendar_windows_20041112.xpi</a></b>

Note that while it does work with the default Thunderbird theme (Qute), if you use the theme Scratch and I are developing (<b><a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=127860
">Winstripe Unofficial</a></b>), the extension will load but in an "unskinned" mode. Also the toolbar icon customization does work with our Thunderbird theme.

With Qute (the default theme), it work pretty well. Using Qute, the Help->About dialog produces an error and I recall there was another minor problem reported elsewhere. Generally its good to go :-)
that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is
uniontroublemaker

Post by uniontroublemaker »

This works great. Thanks.
Goatee

Post by Goatee »

Is there a difference between having Calendar for Firefox and Calendar for Thunderbird? Can the same calendar data be accessed from either program? For me personally it makes sense to have calendar attached to my email program, but right now it appears as if calendar is 'better integrated' with FF.

Also, does the Calendar window itself need to be open for event/task alarms to function, or is it good enough to have the host application open (ala Outlook)?

Is there a FAQ that I've missed for Sunbird/Calendar Noob's like myself?
markcarson

Post by markcarson »

For what its worth, on mozilla.org the download links for the calendar extension for Firefox and Thunderbird point to the same file.
that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is
Rod Whiteley

Two Calendar programs

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Goatee wrote:Is there a difference between having Calendar for Firefox and Calendar for Thunderbird?

Yes. In Thunderbird, Calendar can e-mail events to other people.

Goatee wrote:Can the same calendar data be accessed from either program?

Yes. You can point both programs at the same calendar file. But if you run both programs at the same time, one might overwrite changes made by the other, so you have to be a little careful.

Goatee wrote: Also, does the Calendar window itself need to be open for event/task alarms to function...

Yes. I think the Calendar window has to exist.

Goatee wrote:Is there a FAQ that I've missed...

There is an FAQ at: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html
I don't know whether you have missed it :)

The Calendar Help extension adds help documentation to Calendar--a first draft at present, but you might find it useful: http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org
Rod