Firefox x64 official release

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
oneworld95

Firefox x64 official release

Post by oneworld95 »

Hi. I've downloaded the latest x64 Firefox pre-release build for Windows and was wondering when the official version will be available. I'm using the Firebug plugin and it doesn't work with the 64-bit version. When it's officially released, the plugin should be updated too -- I hope :D
Tony-E

Re: Firefox x64 official release

Post by Tony-E »

You will have quite a wait. There are no imminent plans for an official 64 bit version of Firefox for Windows, it will not be released until some time after Firefox 4.
oneworld95

Post by oneworld95 »

Thanks, Tony-E. I understand. Resources are limited and thus they must be focused on the priorities. In the meantime, is it possible to do the following with the x64 version?
- Install Firebug somehow?
- Import settings from my 32-bit version? I have a ton of bookmarks, cookies, passwords saved. Hate to abandon those.

Thank you :D
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

According to the roadmap, Firefox 5 has Windows 64 support planned.

And if they can stick to the schedule, Fx5 should be out by May/June.

Firebug 1.7X.0a9 is installed and working in 64-bit Firefox 4 for me. ( http://blog.getfirebug.com/2011/01/21/firebug-1-7a9/ )

If you set up Firefox Sync in both 32 and 64 bit versions, starting with the 32-bit version, it should copy over all of the passwords, cookies, and bookmarks.
oneworld95

Post by oneworld95 »

Thanks, KWierso. I just did a search on Firefox Sync and it found both the feature built into FF 4 Beta and a plugin of the same name. I downloaded the beta FF 4 and it brought my bookmarks over. Now how do I bring my username/passwords over for all the sites that I've got memorized in the 32-bit version? Under Sync Settings, everything was checked. Thanks.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

They should be brought over automatically. Let it have some time to run on 32-bit, then give it some time to run on 64-bit.
oneworld95

Post by oneworld95 »

Thanks, KWierso :D
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Mozilla has not gotten version 4 finalized yet. Why are they already thinking about version 5? Is there something driving the need for a new model every year, or what?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Anonymosity wrote:Mozilla has not gotten version 4 finalized yet. Why are they already thinking about version 5? Is there something driving the need for a new model every year, or what?

Mozilla's almost getting Fx4 out the door and they're planning for the future?!?

SAY IT ISN'T SO!
James

Post by James »

oneworld95 wrote:I downloaded the beta FF 4

What you are using is not a Beta test release but rather a Trunk nightly (normally labelled Minefield and not Firefox) which gets updates each day and as a result can be unstable on occasion due to checkins. The 64-bit Windows nightlies are not officially supported as they may be more for breakage testing. Originally it was just Linux nightlies that had 64-bit builds as they were only really for to test breakage and such.
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

Anonymosity wrote:Mozilla has not gotten version 4 finalized yet. Why are they already thinking about version 5? Is there something driving the need for a new model every year, or what?

They are going to release 4,5,6 and 7 this year.

viewtopic.php?p=10399397#p10399397
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1993643

More info about 64 bit Firefox.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

oneworld95 wrote:Thanks, Tony-E. I understand. Resources are limited and thus they must be focused on the priorities. In the meantime, is it possible to do the following with the x64 version?
- Import settings from my 32-bit version? I have a ton of bookmarks, cookies, passwords saved. Hate to abandon those.

Thank you :D

I switch back and forth between the 32 bit Minefield and the x64 Minefield. Same profile,with all the bookmarks, add-ons, cookies, passwords, etc. The only differences are the 64 bit plug-ins. No issues.
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Auto-Updates working for both the 32 bit version and the x64 version. No issues ...

User Styles and UserChrome.css code also works in both versions seamlessly.

As far as I can tell, the only real difference, besides a few plug-ins, is the User agent string below my posts. :)
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
mfarmilo

Post by mfarmilo »

KWierso wrote:According to the roadmap, Firefox 5 has Windows 64 support planned.

And if they can stick to the schedule, Fx5 should be out by May/June.

May/June ? Pull the other other one - at the present rate they'll be struggling to Fx4 out before March.

On another note, just what are the benefits supposed to be of a 64-bit Firefox ? I use Windows X64, but I thought benefits for applications only applied for apps that need an extremely large amount of memory.