FF4 doesn't show save tabs warning, why not?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ChuckUSA

FF4 doesn't show save tabs warning, why not?

Post by ChuckUSA »

I don't get it. i read a few post here and followed several links and just don't understand why I can't get the "save tabs" warning I get with FF3. I don't care if other people don't use it or find it annoying, rather than eliminating all together give them the option to not see it. Why make those of us who do like it have to jump thru hoops by reading several links and having to mess with the about:config screen to get a feature that was already on the previous FF and was a great feature. You know how many times I accidentally closed FF with several tabs open that I had to reopen again? Sure I can click to cancel closing it but sometimes you mess up and hit the ok or close button and bam, it's gone because you are in a rush or something.

I don't get it. It's not like I can see hundreds of post complaining about this feature, why was this such a "we have to hide this feature" priority? Come on FF people, you can do better than this. You already have us waiting for FF4 to be done why mess with the good features we already have? This kind of stuff temps me to try other new browsers such as Chrome which I have been reluctant to mess with because of the add-ons. But I am very tempted at this point.

If you don't like this feature, disable it thru the options but don't take it away from those of us who use it. That's being selfish. There's a reason FF has an options menu. Go in there, learn the options and pick and choose what you want. I want this feature back or I will remove FF from all my PCs and portable drives and move to Chrome. That's my ultimatum.
lithopsian

Re: FF4 doesn't show save tabs warning, why not?

Post by lithopsian »

Why can't you get it? I get it every time I install a new build on a clean profile. There is an option for it.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Not sure if this pref is in b11 or not, but it will be in b12 when it comes out:

browser.showQuitWarning Set to true

This restores the 'warning dialog': save/close/quit/cancel

As for your threat to go to Chrome, it just closes without warning as well. There are options in the options settings to:
show homepage on start
restore tabs
open pages of your choice (fill in the box)

IE9RC - hrmmm -closes without warning and defaults to showing a start-page with option to 'restore previous session'

So your threats mean nothing - all main browsers are doing pretty much the same thing - (never tried Opera, too much stuff I don't need)
ocz

Post by ocz »

First things first. This might be the wrong place for demands/threats to quit/complains aimed at FF developers. mozillazine might look quite official, but isn't part of mozilla. It's a webforum with one of the largest (if not the largest) and most alive fanbase for mozilla products and hobbydevelopers. Therefore you can't expect a developer is reading this here, it only might happen, as this is one of blah largest blah alive yaddayaddayadda.

As for your complains about doing such stuff without any logically graspable reason, like removing/deactivating a likable dialog from a critical position, without anyone complaining about it beforehand, I have to concur. You are right. This is bad style.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Tools=>Options->Tabs->Warn me when closing multiple tabs

This checkbox is in beta 9 and I'm pretty sure it goes a lot further back than that. It is still in b12pre. It is even the default to give the warning dialog. What gives?
ChuckUSA

Post by ChuckUSA »

lithopsian wrote:Why can't you get it? I get it every time I install a new build on a clean profile. There is an option for it.

Funny, if I could find it I would not be complaining about it. Why are people so stupid they assume someone complaining is stupid right off the bat. I have been using FF for several years now and know every option in it but FF4 currently doesn't have it. hell the about:config in my copy doesn't even have the browser.tabs.warnOnQuit line, I've checked several times.

ocz wrote:First things first. This might be the wrong place for demands/threats to quit/complains aimed at FF developers. mozillazine might look quite official, but isn't part of mozilla. It's a webforum with one of the largest (if not the largest) and most alive fanbase for mozilla products and hobbydevelopers. Therefore you can't expect a developer is reading this here, it only might happen, as this is one of blah largest blah alive yaddayaddayadda.

Well then whats the point of this site? This is a rather stupid comment to make as the whole point of this site is to point out issues, even if it isn't a mozilla official forum. I would say it is the right place because I'm sure mozilla watches everything that can benefit them, otherwise this would indicate they don't give a damn about their users.

ocz wrote:As for your complains about doing such stuff without any logically graspable reason, like removing/deactivating a likable dialog from a critical position, without anyone complaining about it beforehand, I have to concur. You are right. This is bad style.

Thank you. I'm glad we agree on something.

Littlemutt wrote:Not sure if this pref is in b11 or not, but it will be in b12 when it comes out:

browser.showQuitWarning Set to true

This restores the 'warning dialog': save/close/quit/cancel

I don't have that line above on my about:config screen.

Littlemutt wrote:As for your threat to go to Chrome, it just closes without warning as well. There are options in the options settings to:
show homepage on start
restore tabs
open pages of your choice (fill in the box)

IE9RC - hrmmm -closes without warning and defaults to showing a start-page with option to 'restore previous session'

So your threats mean nothing - all main browsers are doing pretty much the same thing - (never tried Opera, too much stuff I don't need)

I means a lot to me and to mozilla because I am not switching simply because of a single missing feature. I am considering because Chrome is growing fast and swiftly and FF is not. they are staying behind and this missing feature is just one of many mistakes they will make before getting it right but by then it may be too late. There are several features that keep me from switching but if i can find alternatives to most of them I can find myself being ok missing the others, such as this one.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Hey ChuckUSA-

Your attitude needs to to improve if you wish to hang out here. This includes not calling people stupid. Please read the rules: faq.php?mode=rules

As for the point of this site it is a user to user support site. While folks from Mozilla do visit from time to time this certainly isn't the place to make sure that your issues are heard by them.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
James

Post by James »

ChuckUSA, this forum is independent of Mozilla as it is a users helping users forum. This forum is far to active for one to think Mozilla is actively watching, especially when they are monitoring a few other official places instead. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

The browser.showQuitWarning preference (set to false) is indeed in about:config by default on Firefox 4.0. Perhaps something is up with your install or Profile if you cannot find it even after putting warn in the filter box on top of about:config page.

Type about:config into the location bar and press enter
Filter for these Preferences in Filter box on top
Locate the preference browser.tabs.warnOnClose, if its value is set to false, double-click on it to change its value to true
Repeat this for these 3 preferences browser.warnOnQuit, browser.warnOnRestart and browser.showQuitWarning
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

ChuckUSA, it looks like YOU have changed something that messed this up for you.

I have used Firefox since ver 0.8 in 2004. I set the option to warn when closing multiple tabs years ago and I've never touched it since. I also have it set to "Show my windows and tabs from last time" Both features have always worked through all updates, major and minor. And I haven't changed anything to keep it working. As for this new config setting, browser.showQuitWarning, I don't even have it in my about:config and yet I still get the warning.

I don't use a new profile when updating. I back it up and then I just install right over it. It's always worked; I've never needed the backup.

The setting has NOT changed; you have done something to cause your problem.
Grue

Post by Grue »

browser.showQuitWarning is only there in the b12pre nightlies. In beta 11 the preference is browser.warnOnQuit
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

So they changed the name of the underlying preference? What happens if you move from beta11 to b12pre with the same profile?
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

Why will the pref be renamed? Does it work differently under the hood? Should I add it now and set it to True or will be automatically added when I update to b12?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

TrueFalcon wrote:Why will the pref be renamed? Does it work differently under the hood? Should I add it now and set it to True or will be automatically added when I update to b12?

It wasn't renamed, its an additonal pref, read here:
http://blog.zpao.com/post/3174360617/ab ... uit-dialog
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Littlemutt wrote:
TrueFalcon wrote:Why will the pref be renamed? Does it work differently under the hood? Should I add it now and set it to True or will be automatically added when I update to b12?

It wasn't renamed, its an additonal pref, read here:
http://blog.zpao.com/post/3174360617/ab ... uit-dialog

Thanks for the link. It's a sensible feature to have baked into the browser.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Interesting. Or should that be confusing? I think the new way is more powerful (not that I use it either way), but will certainly cause some headaches. More visible and known functionality being hidden away where most people will never find it.