Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by Omega X »

The GMail issue looks like a bug. It looks like Arial Black instead of Arial bold.

Scratch that, I did a search and found out that this is a G-Mail issue.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=589124#c3

This is a bug in gmail because they specify bold twice for that button. GDI was
unable to enumerate all weights in the Arial family and would never be able to
find the higher weights in the Arial Black font face. DirectWrite is. This is
correct behavior.
-Bas Schouten
Cyberbeing

Post by Cyberbeing »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:As you can see, it would look quite nice if each color channel was actually black - unfortunately they aren't. I believe Bas said the above could be improved by doing gamma correction, but the method he found was patented by Microsoft >.< So I don't know if it'll be improved anytime soon.

I was under the impression that the Microsoft ClearType Tuner uses gamma correction to tweak ClearType.

Using the ClearType Tuner in Win7, you can make font rendering anywhere from completely monochrome to heavily colored if you desire. Launch the Microsoft Magnifier if you need help identifying the monochrome ClearType setting.

If you don't like seeing a rainbow effect, why aren't you guys using a monochrome ClearType setting to workaround the problem? ](*,)

Personally, I found lightly colored to be more visually appealing then completely monochrome, considering how LCD displays work. It only looks bad when you pixel peep, most of the time.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

Cyberbeing wrote:I was under the impression that the Microsoft ClearType Tuner uses gamma correction to tweak ClearType.

Using the ClearType Tuner in Win7, you can make font rendering anywhere from completely monochrome to heavily colored if you desire. Launch the Microsoft Magnifier if you need help identifying the monochrome ClearType setting.

If you don't like seeing a rainbow effect, why aren't you guys using a monochrome ClearType setting to workaround the problem? ](*,)

This is interesting, I was wondering whether there was an explanation anywhere of what each Cleartype selection screen does- do you know of any such guide anywhere? I don't think it really answers the question as to why color fringing is so bad with hardware acceleration though, as text without hardware acceleration also uses cleartype and I don't get the color fringing problem on that.
xan K

Post by xan K »

This isn't about font rendering quality, but rather about font types. Why is FF using a different font for page content than IE8? Both in Windows 7 SP1 (x64).
have a look: IE8 (left) - FF4.0 (right)
avada

Post by avada »

xan K wrote:This isn't about font rendering quality, but rather about font types. Why is FF using a different font for page content than IE8? Both in Windows 7 SP1 (x64).
have a look: IE8 (left) - FF4.0 (right)

Lack of WOFF support from IE?
Robba

Post by Robba »

Just installed SP1 on Win7, and I'm not sure if its placebo or what, but i swear the text looks more defined now.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

Robba wrote:Just installed SP1 on Win7, and I'm not sure if its placebo or what, but i swear the text looks more defined now.

Fortunately I've just been taking screenshots, before and after, examined at pixel level, no difference :mrgreen: .
Robba

Post by Robba »

hews310 wrote:
Robba wrote:Just installed SP1 on Win7, and I'm not sure if its placebo or what, but i swear the text looks more defined now.

Fortunately I've just been taking screenshots, before and after, examined at pixel level, no difference :mrgreen: .

Damn placebos :(
phuzi0n

Post by phuzi0n »

Robba wrote:
hews310 wrote:

Damn placebos :(

It might not be the placebo effect if you hadn't kept up to date with the DW patches that are linked throughout this thread.
NVD

Post by NVD »

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 9b77cdfdda

Microsoft has finally released Windows 7 Service Pack 1(SP1). Everyone should update to SP1, make sure you download the correct installer for your 32bit OS(windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe) or 64bit OS(windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe).
Toppo

Post by Toppo »

Why, when all other hardware accelerated browser work correctly, do you insist that Microsoft must fix this firefox bug ?
Toppo

Post by Toppo »

Why, when all other hardware accelerated browser work correctly, do you insist that Microsoft must fix this firefox bug ?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Because Direct2D and DirectWrite are Microsoft systems.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

Omega X wrote:Because Direct2D and DirectWrite are Microsoft systems.

Some of the bugs/inferiorities are due to Firefox though as Bas Schouten & Jonathan Kew explain on this bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635490
i.e.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635490#c22

"Part of the issue is we have our own rendering path for drawing subpixel AA to
transparent surfaces when text is over opaque pixels. This is something
DirectWrite doesn't allow, however our rendering path isn't quite as good
quality wise as DirectWrite's for numerous reasons."

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635490#c23

"We have a known problem involving antialiasing and transparency"
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

thats because it contains KB2454826 which if you didn't have it installed already, would make a difference.