Mouse freezes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GudgeonPin

Mouse freezes

Post by GudgeonPin »

I have a similar freezing problem to the other recent question. The mouse will freeze (cursor, wheel etc) for about 20 or 30 seconds. The keyboard is still active and it always happens when I use the mouse-wheel to scroll down a page. When the mouse comes back to life, it will have stored any wheel-scrolls and then activate them.

Damned annoying as I will have used the keyboard to scroll down while the mouse is frozen, so when it comes back it scrolls down again.

This can happen regardless of how long I have been on the page so it is not still trying to complete the load. The little spinner has stopped. It is not on any specific website and it happens about twice a week, but always with the scroll wheel.

I think this started after the update before this latest one. It has only been in the past couple of months.

I only have ImageZoom, DownThemAll, NoScript and SpeedDial. No 3rd party toolbars etc.

Cary
Cary G.
DanRaisch

Re: Mouse freezes

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you confirm that you have the latest version of the mouse driver installed?
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

Dan,

Mouse driver is the latest.

Because this happens only about twice a week I can't run in Safe Mode for that long to find out. That would be nuts to have NoScript disabled for a week.
Cary G.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Can you list your extensions? We might see something that rings a bell.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

LoudNoise wrote:Can you list your extensions? We might see something that rings a bell.

I did in the original post. :)

To wit,
"I only have ImageZoom, DownThemAll, NoScript and SpeedDial. No 3rd party toolbars etc."
Cary G.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Whoops. :) I am assuming that it does not happen with other apps. If that is the case the only extension we don't share is ImageZoom (you didn't list a theme but I am assuming Night Launch). Can you run without ImageZoom for a week?

Another idea is checking out what is going on when it happens. For example, is there a Flash movie playing in one of the tabs? You might also want to take a peek at process manager when it happens. Not long ago I had a service that was causing weird problems with a specific program occasionally. It took me forever to chase it down.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

LoudNoise wrote:Whoops. :) I am assuming that it does not happen with other apps.

:)

Yup, it is only in FF and only using the scroll wheel. I don't use tabs much at all so it would be unusual to have anything else running in another tab. I have no need to jump from website to website so I usually close what I am using before launching another. All of that Tab-technology is wasted on me. LOL

I don't use any specific Theme. Whatever FF installs with, that's it.

I can run without ImageZoom as it rarely gets used. In fact I would be OK with disabling all but NoScript and will give that a try for a week. I did check the Task Manager a couple of times during the problem and the CPU Usage for FF (only application in the list) fluctuated between zero and about 40%. It was always alive though as the Usage was not static. Definitely something going on in there. Currently with it all working OK, the Usage is between 0 and 10%.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Cary G.