Adobe Flash Plugin Crashed

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Oma1942

Adobe Flash Plugin Crashed

Post by Oma1942 »

in Photobucket when trying to upload pics from my computer to Photobucket. I tried it numerous times but almost every time it gives me the message shown below. Also the computer freezes and I need to turn off the PC by pushing the button.

Message says: "The Adobe Flash Plugin has crashed, no report available. Reload page the page to try again."

I turned off Adblock Plus and disabled the NoScript of course.

No problems with Chrome, IE 8 and PaleMoon browsers.

I've removed flash in Fx and reinstalled it. Still doesn't work.

My question: is this a bug in 4.0B12 or could it be something else? Thank you in advance. Oops now I realize that I didn't try it in save mode. Will do that.

EDIT: Just tried without any add-on and uploading still doesn't work (crashed). So it's not due to addons.
Oma1942

Re: Adobe Flash Plugin Crashed

Post by Oma1942 »

Additional info:

I removed the latest version of Adobe Flash and installed an older version. Still the same problem with trying to upload pics in Photobucket. :(
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Think problem resolved. Downloaded free Avast! v 6 when it came out. It has new features and one of them is Script Field. I deleted that one feature and now uploading of pics is slow but fine in Photobucket.

Seems that Avast v 6 scripting feature is not compatible with Fx beta?

My thought therefore is that Fx 4.0B12 or earlier version(s) has some different scripting now since PaleMoon browser is almost identical to Fx 3.6.13 and it never failed in Photobucket.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Did you report this to Avast so that it could be fixed?
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Omega X wrote:Did you report this to Avast so that it could be fixed?
Hi Omega.
I did but too soon, because unfortunately the upload only worked temporarily. It's back to freezing my PC and Adobe Flash crashing. :oops: :-"

Avast! reply was that Script Field is for IE and not Firefox so it has no bearing in Fx.

Back to square 1. ](*,) I've run out of ideas and need help to figure this out.

Strange that uploading pics works great in all browsers except in Fx 4.012Beta. It doesn't even work in Safe Mode.

As soon as I click on "Select photos and videos" it freezes and locks my PC. Sometimes it takes me to "my Documents" but it won't let me choose a folder nor select the desktop. Then Adobe Flash crashes often.
Wildmyron

Post by Wildmyron »

Please try the following to narrow down the cause of your crash

1) Please reinstall the latest version of Flash and then attempt to upload again.

2) After it crashes, open a new tab and go to about:crashes - The top two items in the list should have recent Time/Date corresponding to crash from 1). Click on both to make sure they have been processed and then report the id's here.

You said that you tried without addons - does this mean you disabled all addons or that you tried in safe mode? It's also worth testing the following:

3) Firefox with crash protection (OOPP) disabled (go to about:config and set dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false - needs restart I think) This will cause Firefox to crash instead of just Flash so don't do this if you have 50 tabs you care about open.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Thank you Wildmyron,
I have the latest version of Adobe Flash 1.0.152.32 I just tried the upload again and just 1 Adobe Flash crash was reported on this try out this time around. The page is very, very long. Since you requested to give you the ID, well here it is:

ID: a20b5d33-5182-4f14-a067-ddbe52110228 Signature: hang | ntdll.dll@0xe514

Hope it's this info you wanted? I bookmarked that report so I hope it still will be there at a later time if needed.

Yes I tried in safe mode of course with all addons disabled.

I usually have on the most 4 tabs open so now I will try your 3rd advice.

Thank you!!

I DID follow you3 rd advise and also spotted: extensions adblockplus.enabled set to false so I set it to true.

I tried to upload and no problems so far. Need my sleep now so I will try to upload again tomorrow and see if all is still okay.
Last edited by Oma1942 on February 28th, 2011, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildmyron

Post by Wildmyron »

Oma1942 wrote:Thank you Wildmyron,
I have the latest version of Adobe Flash 1.0.152.32 I just tried the upload again and just 1 Adobe Flash crash was reported on this try out this time around. The page is very, very long. Since you requested to give you the ID, well here it is:

ID: a20b5d33-5182-4f14-a067-ddbe52110228 Signature: hang | ntdll.dll@0xe514

Hope it's this info you wanted? I bookmarked that report so I hope it still will be there at a later time if needed.

OK, that's a start. Yes, the ID is what we need to see the details of the crash, or in this case hang, which you are experiencing. The report indicates that the plugin (Flash) has hung or has stopped responding to Firefox and after a short time (I think 30 seconds) Firefox kills the plugin. In this case two reports are generated (one for Firefox and one for the plugin) but the crash report database can't find the matching plugin report.

So, in about:crashes the second report should be the matching one. Please click on that report to submit it and then copy the ID here. If there really was no second report generated for that hang event please try uploading again and submitting the new reports.

You do not need to bookmark the report, they remain in about:crashes unless you manually clear the list.
Oma1942 wrote:Yes I tried in safe mode of course with all addons disabled.

I usually have on the most 4 tabs open so now I will try your 3rd advice.

Thank you!!

I suspect in this case because it is a plugin hang one of two things will happen: a) it works, indicating a likely problem with OOPP or b) Firefox hangs in which case you will need to kill Firefox, i.e. "end the unresponsive program" as Windows calls it.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

I DID follow your 3rd advise and also spotted: extensions adblockplus.enabled set to false so I set it to true.

I tried to upload and no problems so far. Need my sleep now so I will try to upload again tomorrow and see if all is still okay.
Sorry, I added the above phrase to my previous post with an edit so you might have missed it?

Thanks a bunch Wildmyron :) Off to sleep now.
Wildmyron

Post by Wildmyron »

Oma1942 wrote:As soon as I click on "Select photos and videos" it freezes and locks my PC. Sometimes it takes me to "my Documents" but it won't let me choose a folder nor select the desktop. Then Adobe Flash crashes often.

Sorry, I haven't responded to this aspect yet. If your whole computer locks up this is not (entirely) Firefox's fault - generally this means that Firefox is triggering a bug in Windows or in a driver.

* Does the PC remain frozen if you wait a minute?

* I guess you are using Windows XP SP3, is it up to date?

I've tried uploading to photobucket myself and it works for me. I'm struggling to see what the connection to flash is as the photo uploader does not use flash, only the ads on the page do. Perhaps you are getting a specific ad which is causing the problem.
Wildmyron

Post by Wildmyron »

Oma1942 wrote:
I DID follow your 3rd advise and also spotted: extensions adblockplus.enabled set to false so I set it to true.

Sorry, I added the above phrase to my previous post with an edit so you might have missed it?

Thanks a bunch Wildmyron :) Off to sleep now.

OK, yes, I missed that. So problem seems to lie in OOPP. Hopefully we can track this down further so that you can enable OOPP for flash again when Firefox 4 comes out.

The adblockplus pref corresponds to disabling adblock in Tools|Add-ons|Extensions . By testing in safe mode I think you've ruled that out now anyway.

Also, Bug 637533[Core:Plug-ins]-Firefox 4.0b12 [@ hang | ntdll.dll@0xe514] looks like it might be relevant, though not much progress has been made tracking down that bug.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Wyldmiron. Just to let you know that, on several occasions today, I successfully uploaded pictures to Photobucket. So it's working for now and would like to thank you for your help.
Does the PC remain frozen if you wait a minute?
Yes, I had to use the PC button to close the PC down.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Interesting, I've had serious problems with Photobucket for the last few months... I think something is very wrong with their photo uploader.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Good to hear that patrickjdempsey had also troubles with photobucket. Not that I would wish that on anybody but it tells me that I wasn't the only one with problems in photobucket. Thanks for letting us know!
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

try increasing the ipc timeout.