Java Plugin not working with Firefox Tor

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Cibitis

Java Plugin not working with Firefox Tor

Post by Cibitis »

Hi, so i have this strange problem.

I am using Firefox with the Tor browser to get around a block and the site loads and everything but the java puglin will NOT run, I know I have the current java installed, I have checked many many times.

My guess is that Firefox Tor is not detecting my java plugin and therefore i can access the site I want but the java features of it do not run at all.

POINT: I need help finding a way to enable Java plugins on Firefox Tor browser.Can someone help me?
cibitis

Re: Java Plugin not working with Firefox Tor

Post by cibitis »

Someone has to know :S
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't know, Cibitis. Make sure you do not have Java blocked by NoScript or another blocking program. Also, perhaps you have JavaScript turned off or blocked. JavaScript is not Java, but it is often required for a Web site to work correctly.

You have many plugins or extensions, and those could interfere. I would suggest that you test it with a new profile (to disable all your changes). Add the Tor extension if necessary, but if you can use Tor without the extension, try it that way. Also, go to Tools > Add-ons and disable all plugins that you are not certain that you need. Search the Knowledge Base for the Profile Manager (and be sure to obey all the warnings!!!).
cibitis

Post by cibitis »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I don't know, Cibitis. Make sure you do not have Java blocked by NoScript or another blocking program. Also, perhaps you have JavaScript turned off or blocked. JavaScript is not Java, but it is often required for a Web site to work correctly.

You have many plugins or extensions, and those could interfere. I would suggest that you test it with a new profile (to disable all your changes). Add the Tor extension if necessary, but if you can use Tor without the extension, try it that way. Also, go to Tools > Add-ons and disable all plugins that you are not certain that you need. Search the Knowledge Base for the Profile Manager (and be sure to obey all the warnings!!!).

Java is enabled, I have ALL updated versions of everything I am currently using.
The problem is that when using Friefox Tor, the java plugins don't seem to be detected and therefore i can't use any java or flash while using firefox Tor

I know I have updated jjava/flash and firefox because my java and flash work fine on the normal firefox browser

The Firefox Tor browser does not detect that I have ANY java, that is the problem, I need someone to tell me how to enable java pulgins while using Firefox Tor.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

As far as I know, there is no "Firefox Tor" browser. I thought at first you were referring to the Torbutton extension for Firefox.

Please note that my reply had two paragraphs.

I haven't used Tor, so I'm afraid I can't test your problem directly, but my other remarks will ensure that Firefox is set up the way it was when you first installed it. I can see from your user agent string that Firefox appears to have many add-ons that could affect the performance.
cibitis

Post by cibitis »

VanillaMozilla wrote:As far as I know, there is no "Firefox Tor" browser. I thought at first you were referring to the Torbutton extension for Firefox.

Please note that my reply had two paragraphs.

I haven't used Tor, so I'm afraid I can't test your problem directly, but my other remarks will ensure that Firefox is set up the way it was when you first installed it. I can see from your user agent string that Firefox appears to have many add-ons that could affect the performance.

Yes, I was refering to the Torbutton extension for Firefox.

And yes my regular firefox has all the plugins and stuff i just need to know how to enable those plugins (java specifically) for Firefox Tor.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I'm telling you, to find out if the problem is Firefox or some change you made, you need to try it with a clean start. A clean, new profile with no themes or extensions (Torbutton only if there is no other way), and disable all plugins except Java.

If that worries you too much, then start Firefox in safe mode AND disable plugins. (DO NOT check any of the options to make changes permanent -- you can erase your data that way.)
cibitis

Post by cibitis »

I know what the problem is though,

I simply need to know how to get Java plugins to be detected on Firefox while using Tor.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, never mind the new profile. Did you try reading the directions? How about the FAQ for Tor and Torbutton?

Tor is not magic. It does not just magically keep you from revealing your name and address. Did you read the information on how to use it correctly? Did you read the information provided when you downloaded Tor?
cibitis

Post by cibitis »

VanillaMozilla wrote:OK, never mind the new profile. Did you try reading the directions? How about the FAQ for Tor and Torbutton?

Tor is not magic. It does not just magically keep you from revealing your name and address. Did you read the information on how to use it correctly? Did you read the information provided when you downloaded Tor?

Directions to what? If I knew how to manually add a java plugin to function with Firefox Tor i would have done it lol

I don't realyl care about hiding my name/address or anything for that matter. Yes I know what Tor does and I know flash and java are automatically disabled to maintain anonymity but the ONLY reason I am using Firefox Tor is to get around a blocked site, which happens to require Java WHICH is the reason I need help specifically for that reason.

So once again: The only thing I need is to enable java while using Firefox Tor.
Eibo

Post by Eibo »

I have the same problem and cant get to fix, i think its some sort of restriction applied by Tor developers
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You apparently know that the Torbutton disables Java and JavaScript for a reason. I suspect that they do not provide a way to override this feature. But instead of me reading the manual for you, a better place to answer your questions would be the Tor Website. Did you look at the Tor Wiki or try the Vidalia discussion group?

From what I can see, you probably need to use Tor WITHOUT the Torbutton, as I suggested in my first reply. Did you try Vidalia?

Let us know how it turns out, so others can learn what worked.
Justtryit

Post by Justtryit »

Right click tor button on bottom left and change

Preferences>
Security Settings>
Disable plugins > uncheck
Hoo dangerous java script> uncheck
prvnkumark

Post by prvnkumark »

Hi Guys,

simply run tor and configure your Firefox not the browser which tor opens. Configure your Firefox proxy server with

manual proxy configuration

do not use http pory
ssl proxy
ftp proxy

in socks host:127.0.0.1 with port 3486

no proxy for : should be empty.