app tabs not working how i thought they would

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
firefoxownz

app tabs not working how i thought they would

Post by firefoxownz »

ok.....say i go to google.com and make that an app tab.
now i click on that app tab.
now while using that app tab, go to yahoo.com
close browser
when i reopen it, yahoo.com will now be in that app tab instead of google.com.
shouldn't the app tab stay as i set it until i set it as something else?
Last edited by firefoxownz on March 9th, 2011, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajnauron

Re: app tabs not working how i thought they would

Post by ajnauron »

App Tabs don't prevent you from leaving the current page to visit another one, they just prevent that page from being easily closed with the close button or ctrl-w.
Intel Core i3-2310M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10666 | Western Digital 750GB 5400RPM | Windows 7 SP1 x64
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

This is not the way it works, I guess. If you go to another page you "overwrite" the app tab. I can't see really any advantages from app tabs, except in combination with Panorama: if you have a lot of tab groups, the app tabs will appear on all of them.
Am I missing something?
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
firefoxownz

Post by firefoxownz »

i agree it shouldn't prevent you from leaving the current page. but i don't think when i close the browswer it should change my app tab page to what it was on when i closed the browser. when i reopen the browser, it should go to the page i set it to....not where it was when i closed the browser.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

firefoxownz wrote:i agree it shouldn't prevent you from leaving the current page. but i don't think when i close the browswer it should change my app tab page to what it was on when i closed the browser. when i reopen the browser, it should go to the page i set it to....not where it was when i closed the browser.

Using [Ext] Tab Mix Plus setting Lock Tabs , Lock App Tabs, prevents App Tabs from being redirected when typing a new url in the Urlbar.
grayscale00

Post by grayscale00 »

IIRC, the original plan for the app tab is to have all the clicked links open on a new tab automatically (say, you're on facebook, clicking on links will open it on a new tab, preventing you from overwriting the app tab). I also remember reading about the address bar having the same behavior (anything you type on url bar will open on a new tab), or maybe I'm just drunk.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

That was discussed, but it was never implemented like that.

Maybe in a future version.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

KWierso wrote:That was discussed, but it was never implemented like that.

There won't be no need to do that if "In-content UI"(Hide Navigation bar and Bookmarks Toolbar) is done to the App Tabs first: Bug 585445 - Make App Tabs chromeless

Read more about Firefox 4 App Tabs here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2119301
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Hiding the urlbar won't make App Tabs not change to a different domain than the one you started in, it will just make it harder to track when it happens... actually compounding it and making the problem worse. And if you think about it for more than a few minutes, you'll realize that hiding navigation on any'ol tab that gets "pinned" is a really terrible terrible idea. For instance, *most* websites require the regular use of the Back and Reload buttons to actually function properly. Maybe if you are on an actual "web application" site that is actually a Java or Flash application, where the navigation controls can actually be bad to use it's fine... but even then, what are the security implications of locking a user out of the basic navigation and security tools on ANY website? Local stuff like about:home, about:addons, fine that all makes since for In-Content-UI... but IMO the browser should never ever ever hide the navigation and security controls from users on any web-delivered content, that's just asking for trouble. But I personally think that In-Content-UI creates more problems than it solves... which isn't difficult because it doesn't actually solve ANY problems... it's just there because someone thinks it looks pretty in other browsers who actually have reasons for doing it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

patrickjdempsey wrote:hiding navigation on any'ol tab that gets "pinned" is a really terrible terrible idea.

I'm going to reply to you with your own words:
patrickjdempsey wrote:take it up with Mozilla.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Hiding navigation on the addon manager is already a pain. The only way to get away from it (in default configuration, without knowing the fancy steps) is by closing it. Not so much "in-content" as a full-screen dialog box ;)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:hiding navigation on any'ol tab that gets "pinned" is a really terrible terrible idea.

I'm going to reply to you with your own words:
patrickjdempsey wrote:take it up with Mozilla.

My way of "taking it up with Mozilla" is every time they come up with an implementation I don't like, I change it and put the change into my themes. For In-Content-UI I make the toolbars all stay in place but I grey-out the textboxes so they are less distracting, but they still work. If apptabs go down that road I'll be doing the same for them, and bookmarks manager and anything else that tries to mess with my toolbars.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Mattus

Post by Mattus »

What I want is an app tab implementation which opens links in the app tab if they're on the same domain, and opens a new tab if they're not. That seems to me to be the most natural approach, but neither Firefox nor Chrome do it.
poisonborz

Post by poisonborz »

@Mattus I completely agree, it's stupid this doesn't work like this default (at least there should be an option).
Luckily, PermaTabs Mod extension will support this feature, although right now its still buggy with current builds.
Falconerd

Post by Falconerd »

grayscale00 wrote:IIRC, the original plan for the app tab is to have all the clicked links open on a new tab automatically (say, you're on facebook, clicking on links will open it on a new tab, preventing you from overwriting the app tab). I also remember reading about the address bar having the same behavior (anything you type on url bar will open on a new tab), or maybe I'm just drunk.

KWeirso wrote:That was discussed, but it was never implemented like that.

I agree, I wish I could make any new link from anywhere (address bar, search bar, bookmarks, history, etc.) all open in new tabs by default. So far, I've found specific add-ons for bookmarks and history, and I believe the search bar does that by default, but I haven't found a decent add-on for the address bar. It's been bundled as a feature in some add-ons but I haven't found a reliable one yet.
Just wanted to add my 2¢ to the discussion.