Fixes for extensions broken since new addon manager landed

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
lithopsian

Re: Fixes for extensions broken since new addon manager land

Post by lithopsian »

It defaulted to "off" because it's an entirely new toolbar that by default is not visible unless something (other than items in the compatibility shim) has been put there by an extension.

This is not true. It is not visible, full stop. Attempts to have the addon bar appear automatically if something is placed on it (or the status bar), either by a new extension or manually by the user, have essentially failed. Go ahead, try it, the bar won't appear on its own even if you drag a button to it yourself. A small subset of (restartless) extensions that place items on the bar will cause it to appear (or used to, I haven't tested recently) but in most situations it won't. This remains the case as of b12 and I don't see anything coming to change it. So 90% of users will never see it, not because they don't want it, but because they don't know it exists.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

An extension *could* be written to force the Addon bar to appear itself as part of the first-run script it uses to make a button appear on the toolbar. But Mozilla doesn't even have a *standard* recommendation for how extensions should put buttons on the Addon bar, let alone anything that specific.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KaaMoS

Post by KaaMoS »

Someone asked a few weeks ago for a "Menu Editor" version that could work with Firefox 4.0.

Well, an user called NettiCat, who is an add-on developer (https://addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/user/516763/), he has announced he's working on this project... this is probably an unofficial version, but at least he made it work with Firefox 4.0, even if you have installed "Tab Mix Plus".

NettiCat has just released "Menu Editor NC 1.2.7" (I suppose "NC" is for "NettiCat's") which looks like 1.2.6 did.
NettiCat also announced that there will be a "Menu Editor NC 2.0" soon, and it will include some fixes and improvements.

Here's the link to his alternative projects, read the whole page and go below to see all download/install links. I'll put below the direct link to install/download "Menu Editor NC 1.2.7":

http://netticat.ath.cx/MyAddons/MyAddons.htm#sap
http://netticat.ath.cx/xpi/install.php?id=MenuEditor

See ya!
Last edited by trolly on February 26th, 2011, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links made unclickable for security reasons. If you want to visit the site copy and paste the url.
-=[ VERONIKA ZEMANOVÁ LOVER ]=-
makondo

Post by makondo »

What's wrong with it? I have TMP and ME1.2.6 and both work fine for me. I also have ACR which is a must with 4beta anyway. I probably bumped the version too at some point, don't remember. But it did and does work w/out problems.
KaaMoS

Post by KaaMoS »

1.2.6 doesn't work completely with FF4.0.
Bumping is not enough, tabs context menu and others don't work.

But, since you work a lot with customizations, you probably did other things that made it work by coincidence (probably something related to userChrome).
In any case, I was another use who suffered problems with Menu Editor 1.2.6, that's why I searched a little and I found this "MOD" made by NettiiCat.
makondo

Post by makondo »

I don't use userChrome. If i did any thing, it had to be installing ACR and a fix from the the first pages of this thread. Never had a problem and you can others stating the same (in this same thread).
KaaMoS

Post by KaaMoS »

On page 27 there are people having problems with it, so I think I'm right doing what I did.
This is about giving solutions for people who is suffering some problems.

You aren't suffering this specific problem, well, this is your case, but I posted that for those who have it.
Nothing bad on it...

...I admire your work, but... just relax! :wink:
makondo

Post by makondo »

I didn't say it was 'bad' to post what you did. I was curious what was wrong with Em for you in the first place so that we can try to help since it works for me and others w/out problems. Sorry if i've managed to offend you somehow.
avada

Post by avada »

makondo wrote:I didn't say it was 'bad' to post what you did. I was curious what was wrong with Em for you in the first place so that we can try to help since it works for me and others w/out problems. Sorry if i've managed to offend you somehow.

If I remember correctly menueditor prevented the tab context menu from appearing.
makondo

Post by makondo »

^ apparently not. And - i repeat - i didn't do anything other than what's been suggested in this thread (see the first post and here again).
So, if something doesn't work, it's time for the usual troubleshooting to find out why.
avada

Post by avada »

makondo wrote:^ apparently not. And - i repeat - i didn't do anything other than what's been suggested in this thread (see the first post and here again).
So, if something doesn't work, it's time for the usual troubleshooting to find out why.

Well, If you fixed what wasn't working its no surprise its working. Anyway, the NettiCat extension hardly does more than that fix.
wright76878

Post by wright76878 »

http://yarip.mozdev.org/installation.html
version 0.2.5.2 makes yarip work with Minefield
In my opinion, yarip is better than adblock element hider in removing junk on web pages that you're not interested in and just takes up space. It stays gone.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

I find that YARIP interferes with the display of hover links and status. I'm using [Ext]"Status 4 Evar" to place them in the URL bar. Whenever I enable YARIP, the URL location text never changes to show the status or the hover link.

Anyone else?
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Never heard of yarip before. Will poke around. But the Element Hiding Helper of AdBlock Plus is quite neat and hidden stuff stays hidden so I don't really understand the point being made in the previous post (viewtopic.php?p=10517441#p10517441).

Edit: took a brief look and it's way beyond my grasp :oops: . I will have to stick with the EHH of AdBlock Plus. Point and click.
nadark

Post by nadark »

Not really a bug, but did anyone notice the size of the addon-bar increased with the new update of download statusbar 0.9.8?
It's also now dragable as well, but it increased the addonbar height a bit, wasn't it supposed to be a fixed height and not abide by the addons toolbar icon?

Couldn't find the appropriate thread in the extension section, so forgive me for posting here.