retrieve shift-delete email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dandeg

retrieve shift-delete email

Post by dandeg »

Normally I 'permanently' delete unwanted emails by using shift-delete. Somehow I highlighted all the email messages in my inbox and then I got a message asking if i wanted to stop a script (?). I clicked yes and all the emails disappeared. How can I retrieve them? What a disaster!
DanRaisch

Re: retrieve shift-delete email

Post by DanRaisch »

See if the utility "Thunderbird Reset Status" from this web site is helpful.
dandeg4173

Post by dandeg4173 »

The suggested software restored email messages that were deleted in some other fashion, not the ones I just lost. The "restored" messages look to be mostly spam and are dated from last year and prior, nothing more recent than April 2010. Any other ideas? Does shift-delete completely eliminate a message? I don't even know if stopping the script that was running was the cause of the disappearance.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

dandeg4173 wrote:The suggested software restored email messages that were deleted in some other fashion, not the ones I just lost. The "restored" messages look to be mostly spam and are dated from last year and prior, nothing more recent than April 2010.
That tells us you didn't compact your folders.
Any other ideas? Does shift-delete completely eliminate a message?
As far as I know, it just doesn't copy the message to Trash before marking it as deleted.
I don't even know if stopping the script that was running was the cause of the disappearance.
It looks like the most likely cause.

To prevent recurrence, I strongly recommend keeping your Inbox empty.

Edit:
I am the author of that tool Dan so kindly recommended.

Post by Guest »

Well, today I discovered the the software did recover all of my shift-deleted emails except for the year (more or less) immediately prior. Any suggestions on getting those back?

The software did work quickly and was easy to administer, thank you. I just didn't scan the restored inbox enough the first time through.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Guest wrote:Well, today I discovered the the software did recover all of my shift-deleted emails except for the year (more or less) immediately prior. Any suggestions on getting those back?
I am afraid by now those messages are well and truly lost. You might try to do something with an undelete tool (for files), but I wouldn't expect anything anymore.
The software did work quickly and was easy to administer, thank you.
You're welcome.
I just didn't scan the restored inbox enough the first time through.
Shame, probably nothing to be done about it anymore.