[Firefox 4 release/nightlies : Linux] Add-ons manager hangs

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: [Firefox 4 beta / nightlies : Linux] Add-ons manager han

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yeah Frank, I've experienced problems with that frame loading on and off, but even with no buggy scripts typically web content loads a little slower than local content... isn't that part of why they created the local home page? But as you say... *workarounds* ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yeah Frank, I've experienced problems with that frame loading on and off, but even with no buggy scripts typically web content loads a little slower than local content... isn't that part of why they created the local home page? But as you say... *workarounds* ;)

Well, bit laggy web content is one thing, but to those affected by this, it is freezing the browser for 30 seconds+, until the slow script warning appears and is then dismissed.

Until this is fixed, the following 3 lines in prefs.js will sort it out -

Code: Select all

user_pref("capability.policy.nojs.javascript.enabled", "noAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.nojs.sites","https://services.addons.mozilla.org");
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "nojs");

Obviously, the above code has been tested and works, with the 'Get Addons' content seemingly being displayed as normal. If this turns out to be an ongoing problem, as we both know, a prefs adding extension could be made in 20 minutes to fix this. However, I suspect that the Addons site end will fix it, when it hits the fan.

Odd bug, doesn't affect everyone it seems. But it's not just Linux builds, Win32 ones gets whacked by it as well.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
xan K

Post by xan K »

Sure, I'm on Windows and it happens here.
dikei

Post by dikei »

I'm having the same problem as ApTeM, firefox on Linux randomly hang when open Extension page, GDB backtrace show some kind of pthread mutex lock being engaged. It's very hard to pin point the problem because the crash happen so randomly. Sometimes a new extension cause the hang, but after uninstall the extension, the crash go away; only to reappear later . It happened with so many extensions that I don't know whether firefox or the extensions is buggy.
This is probably a different problem from xan K' s because Add-on managers hang when I open "Extension" page, not "Get add-ons" page and Frank Lion's solution does not help.

PS: The Window build with exactly the same extensions works fine.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dikei wrote:I'm having the same problem as ApTeM, firefox on Linux randomly hang when open Extension page, GDB backtrace show some kind of pthread mutex lock being engaged. It's very hard to pin point the problem because the crash happen so randomly. Sometimes a new extension cause the hang, but after uninstall the extension, the crash go away; only to reappear later . It happened with so many extensions that I don't know whether firefox or the extensions is buggy.
This is probably a different problem from xan K' s because Add-on managers hang when I open "Extension" page, not "Get add-ons" page...

I think you're right and I think there's two problems going on here. One is the Addons site script bug that Xan 2 described and that has been mentioned to me a good number of times now. The other is the one you are having and I think it might be extensions.sqlite related and the problem is not caused by the actual extensions themselves, but by the reading of them. Firefox 4 is the first version to use extensions.sqlite, previously it was the extensions.rdf/cache/ini system in the profile.

I only have 3.6 on my Linux OS, so I'm going to have to guess that the Linux FF4 profile layout is the same idea as on Win32.

What I would suggest is -

#1. Ensure that all your extension versions are intended for Firefox 4 and no 'bumped' ones from FF3+ exist. - bumped via NTT or install.rdf

#2. Exit Firefox 4 and back up your profile in home/.mozilla (hidden folder)

#3. In your regular profile, rename the following files - extensions.sqlite, extensions.sqlite-journal, extensions.rdf and extensions.ini to extensionsOLD.sqlite, etc, etc. These files will be recreated anew when Firefox is restarted.

#4. Restart Firefox and ...see what you have.

Finally, don't forget that the Error Console or the extensions.log (in the profile) may give you more clues on this.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

The "slow unresponsive script" warning might (totally uneducated guess) be from a network delay in loading the webcontent into the Get Addons pane. If the loading process takes too long, there might be some script sitting around waiting for it to load, and it throws the unresponsive warning.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I'm wondering if his problem couldn't be related to the em:unpack switch?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dikei

Post by dikei »

Frank Lion wrote:#1. Ensure that all your extension versions are intended for Firefox 4 and no 'bumped' ones from FF3+ exist. - bumped via NTT or install.rdf

This didn't help, of course, there is no guarantee that an add-on mark as Firefox4-compatible is actually compatible.
#3. In your regular profile, rename the following files - extensions.sqlite, extensions.sqlite-journal, extensions.rdf and extensions.ini to extensionsOLD.sqlite, etc, etc. These files will be recreated anew when Firefox is restarted.

After doing this, the hang went away. I'll wait and see if it comes back.
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

Frank Lion wrote:
dikei wrote:I'm having the same problem as ApTeM, firefox on Linux randomly hang when open Extension page, GDB backtrace show some kind of pthread mutex lock being engaged. It's very hard to pin point the problem because the crash happen so randomly. Sometimes a new extension cause the hang, but after uninstall the extension, the crash go away; only to reappear later . It happened with so many extensions that I don't know whether firefox or the extensions is buggy.
This is probably a different problem from xan K' s because Add-on managers hang when I open "Extension" page, not "Get add-ons" page...

I think you're right and I think there's two problems going on here. One is the Addons site script bug that Xan 2 described and that has been mentioned to me a good number of times now. The other is the one you are having and I think it might be extensions.sqlite related and the problem is not caused by the actual extensions themselves, but by the reading of them. Firefox 4 is the first version to use extensions.sqlite, previously it was the extensions.rdf/cache/ini system in the profile.

Same problem here with "Extension" page!! :x It's very annoying!
Firefox 4 stable version installed yesterday in a new profile.
Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits.

Frank Lion wrote:#1. Ensure that all your extension versions are intended for Firefox 4 and no 'bumped' ones from FF3+ exist. - bumped via NTT or install.rdf

This doesn't solve nothing.

Frank Lion wrote:#3. In your regular profile, rename the following files - extensions.sqlite, extensions.sqlite-journal, extensions.rdf and extensions.ini to extensionsOLD.sqlite, etc, etc. These files will be recreated anew when Firefox is restarted.
#4. Restart Firefox and ...see what you have.

In my case, this is worst.
When I delete extensions.sqlite and extensions.ini (in my profile doesn't exist the other files) and I open firefox:

Someone has reported this bug to Mozilla?
It's a serious bug that they should fix it soon.
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

I have reported the error in: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644545

You could provide additional info and debug traces there, no?
a_man

Post by a_man »

im having this problem too on ubuntu maverick 64 bit, just did a clean profile installing extensions one by one and...its flashblock! that seems to cause the problem here, possibly in conjunction with others like noscript maybe?

anyway,installed flashblock, problem occurs, removing flashblock and all is fine again, did it all over again and result the same

edit: now ive found the same happening with linkification and download statusbar :/ and things being fine again once i uninstall them. maybe the addons thing can only handle so many extensions?
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

I think the problem is the quantity of installed extensions, no the quality. More info in the bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644545
a_man

Post by a_man »

i found some sort of working workaround in case ur stuck, delete session.rdf and sessionstore.bak to get firefox loading again and use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ions-menu/ to access ur extensions completely avoiding the addons manager
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

The people affected by this bug should vote/comment in bug for Mozilla solves it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=637286
ApTeM

Post by ApTeM »

Sadly it's still happening in released Firefox 4.