[SOLVED]Firefox 4 missing Firefox button

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
moziluser

[SOLVED]Firefox 4 missing Firefox button

Post by moziluser »

Windows XP Pro SP3
default Firefox theme

So I just installed Firefox 4 and expected to see a Firefox button a la Opera's O button. Ain't got no . . .

I've tried hiding and showing the menu bar and starting in safe mode. Not only do I never see the Firefox button, when I hide the menu bar, all my tabs disappear, which is REALLY not helpful. With the menu bar hidden, all I have are the back and forward arrows, the wonder bar, the search bar, the home button and the bookmarks button--all these on one bar and there is no other bar.

This is an improvement? I know there's Chrome/Chromium envy, but what has been attained is sub-minimal, and Firefox 4 is still much slower than Chrome/Chromium.

Oh, I use Stardock Windowblinds. Has Firefox 4 been tested on Windows PCs running Windowblinds?
Last edited by moziluser on March 25th, 2011, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Re: Firefox 4 missing Firefox button

Post by James »

I think it may be because you are using Windows XP and not Vista or 7.
Enigma99web

Post by Enigma99web »

Right click on the menu bar and uncheck. The menu button will appear. Took me awhile to figure out too
moziluser

Post by moziluser »

Never mind. I checked the "Apps" toolbar and got a totally blank toolbar at the bottom of my Firefox 4 window. I expected to see some of my add-ons that weren't disabled. That was the last straw. I uninstalled Firefox 4 and reinstalled 3.6.15. Now everything works again.

I'll wait for Firefox 4.3, or maybe 5.3, before I try any newer versions of Firefox. That is, if I don't stop using Firefox altogether first.
Beaver6813

Post by Beaver6813 »

Enigma99web wrote:Right click on the menu bar and uncheck. The menu button will appear. Took me awhile to figure out too

+1 to this
moziluser

Post by moziluser »

Pathetically, I have to quote myself:

moziluser wrote:I've tried hiding and showing the menu bar . . .

People posting here make me think this forum is a complete waste of time and a great place NOT to get a problem solved. It looks like no one knows that you hide and show the menu bar by unchecking and checking the Menu Toolbar in the list of toolbars.

I was doing this in Opera when the Firefox button was nothing but a dream in Mozilla developers' minds. Sigh. You view or hide the big O Opera button, equivalent to the Firefox button, in just the same way; i.e., mess with the menu tool bar.

I better stop typing now.
moziluser

Re: [SOLVED]Firefox 4 missing Firefox button

Post by moziluser »

The problem is Windowblinds. By excluding FF 4 from Windowblinds so that the FF 4 window is rendered by Microsoft instead of Stardock, FF 4 works correctly.

Windowblinds renders its title bar on top of the FF 4 tab bar (where the FF button appears), thereby covering it up and making it invisible. That's why I couldn't see the FF button and why my tabs disappeared. Who knows what was going on with the empty Apps bar?
~sigh~

Re: [SOLVED]Firefox 4 missing Firefox button

Post by ~sigh~ »

The Apps are different than the Add-ons. I am disheartened to read that someone is downgrading because they couldn't right-click on the Apps bar and figure it out.