Fix for the assertion error message

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
_Dexter_

Fix for the assertion error message

Post by _Dexter_ »

My fix is for those who know where to find the XPI file for their add-on that gets the error message when starting Fx4.2apre. Also, I am assuming you know how to open up the XPI file and possibly a JAR file within. Finally you know how to edit and save the changes to get a working add-on. With that said.....

Open up your add-on's XPI file. You have to find the offending line in a .js file and correct it. So far I've found two variations of this line. They are:

gBrowser.addProgressListener
Browser.addProgressListener

Try looking for the line in an overlay file ending in .js. Overlay may or may not appear in the name. For example, in WOT the offending code is found in a file called cores.js which is within a JAR file. So you might have to search around a bit to find where it is.

Once you found the line of code delete the second parameter. Make sure after you delete it the remaining line is syntactically correct.

Example:

gBrowser.addProgressListener(YourAddon.Listener, Components.interfaces.nsIWebProgress.NOTIFY_STATE_DOCUMENT);

becomes

gBrowser.addProgressListener(YourAddon.Listener);

So far I've fixed Stylish, S4E, FasterFox lite, and WOT with this method. Of course the real fix is for the authors to fix it, but in the short term my fix should work. Your mileage might vary.
Intel i7 Core Quad @ 4.25Ghz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus | 12GB PC3-16000 RAM | ASUS HD6970 2GB - 12.3 CATS | ASUS PA246Q IPS 24" LCD 16:10 | OCZ AGILITY-EX SSD SLC | Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
yeahman

Re: Fix for the assertion error message

Post by yeahman »

Thanks!

For Xmarks it's in foxmarks-statusbar.js.
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

Thanx, works for status-4-ever also (file is overlay.js)
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
ajnauron

Post by ajnauron »

@ <Dexter> Can you pin these downloads to your post? I've fixed and uploaded(to Mediafire) the current versions of Stylish, Status4Evar, and Fasterfox Lite and tested them, they're all working properly.

fasterfox-3.9.1Lite-fx for Minefield 4.2a1pre.xpi
status_4_evar-2011.03.21.22-fx for Minefield 4.2a1pre.xpi
stylish-1.1.1-sm+tb+fx for Minefield 4.2a1pre.xpi

To install these, download the file, go to Minefield 4.2a1pre, open the addons manager with ctrl+shift+a, click the gear icon in the top right hand corner, click install addon from file, browse to where you downloaded the file, click it. You'll be prompted to restart and install the addon.

Also, in additon to the mentioned gBrowser.addProgressListener and Browser.addProgressListener parameters, I have also encountered getBrowser().addProgressListener(listener); that seems to have the same effect.

For those who don't know how to edit the addons, you have to open the addon xpi files and jar files you find inside them with an archiving program like WinRAR, WinZIp or 7ZIP etc. Then open the js files with notepad to edit them, and save when you've removed the second part of the parameter. Then select the files you extracted, add them into an archive with one of the mentioned programs, use normal compression and use ZIP as the format. Then rename ZIP to XPI.

It would be helpful if you could add this information as well.
Last edited by ajnauron on March 24th, 2011, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i3-2310M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10666 | Western Digital 750GB 5400RPM | Windows 7 SP1 x64
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

ajnauron wrote:@ <Dexter> Can you pin these downloads to your post? I've fixed and uploaded(to Mediafire) the current versions of Stylish, Status4Evar, and Fasterfox Lite and tested them, they're all working properly.

:D
You're a life saver! Thank you!!!
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

ajnauron wrote:@ <Dexter> Can you pin these downloads to your post? I've fixed and uploaded(to Mediafire) the current versions of Stylish, Status4Evar, and Fasterfox Lite and tested them, they're all working properly.

Thanks, works fine for Stylish.
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Noscript (dev build) has been updated.

The bug has been re-opened with the aim of shifting these alerts form pop-ups to the error console.
robmadden1

Post by robmadden1 »

I've fixed and uploaded(to Mediafire) the beta version of Greeasmonkey: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2zg1i3e7j ... 3.beta.xpi
ajnauron

Post by ajnauron »

robmadden1 wrote:I've fixed and uploaded(to Mediafire) the beta version of Greeasmonkey: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2zg1i3e7j ... 3.beta.xpi

Thanks, working properly. Where did you find this beta?
Intel Core i3-2310M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10666 | Western Digital 750GB 5400RPM | Windows 7 SP1 x64
J.Sax

Post by J.Sax »

ajnauron wrote:
robmadden1 wrote:I've fixed and uploaded(to Mediafire) the beta version of Greeasmonkey: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2zg1i3e7j ... 3.beta.xpi

They can always be found here:

https://arantius.com/misc/gm-nightly/

2011.03.17 is actually the latest version.
robmadden1

Post by robmadden1 »

ajnauron

Post by ajnauron »

J.Sax wrote:
ajnauron wrote:

They can always be found here:

https://arantius.com/misc/gm-nightly/

2011.03.17 is actually the latest version.

Thanks for the links guys, I had no clue and the version on addons.mozilla.org is old. Note that version 2011.03.17 actually works properly without displaying the error message on startup each time, it seems to have been fixed, yay!
robmadden1

Post by robmadden1 »

The only other add on I sometimes us is MediaPayerConnectivity that still causes the popup I could not figure out how to fix this one.
ioiokzkz

Post by ioiokzkz »

Firebug 1.7.0 seems to be causing it as well... can someone kindly pack one for us?
avada

Post by avada »

How does one figure which ones are problematic from 50+ addons?