Local folder not showing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Galceran

Local folder not showing

Post by Galceran »

A folder listed in Thunderbird/Profiles/xizf.....default/mail/Local Folders/TG11.sbd/Obits.msf does not show in Local Folders when Thunderbird is open. The folder was deleted but has possibly also been deleted from the Deleted section. When I search for an email which was in the Obits.msf folder I see 20 emails but only a few lines of text shows. Selecting Open as List or, the starred Title brings up a blank box. The information is still in there somewhere (part of the emails are shown). How can I restore this folder - Obits?
Thanks
Gilbert
DanRaisch

Re: Local folder not showing

Post by DanRaisch »

If you deleted the folder from both its original location and from the Trash (Deleted) folder it may not be possible to recover the folder at all. The parts of the emails that are found in a search are probably artifacts in the index files and, if the index files are rebuild, those message parts will probably disappear.

First backup your profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup but do not compact folders as recommended in that link.
Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the files with the extension msf, such as Inbox.msf. Note that there will be sets of two files with the name but only one of these will have the MSF extension. Delete the files with the MSF extension. Restart Thunderbird, compact all folders, and see if things are back to normal. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are a type of index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.
Galceran

Post by Galceran »

Thanks.
I have just, 5mins ago, created a new local folder - Obits. Closed Thunderbird, re-opened TB and the original msgs are all listed - Subject, From and Date but, selecting any one of them shows the box as blank. No message showing.
So should I delete this new Obit file which shows 0 bytes then carry on as you suggested?
Gilbert
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can delete it if the file size is zero bytes as it holds no data.
Galceran

Post by Galceran »

Thank You
Galceran

Post by Galceran »

Delete all files with msf extension or, just the obit.msf file?
Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Start with the obit.msf.